Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Launch Mode - firmware 2.9.40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my battery heated while charging at the Supercharger and after that the battery was being heated without having to drive around. Because the dragstrip was busy I had to wait one hour between runs and yes the % went down with time but not as much if you were driving around. I did not notice any slip as the track was sticky. I believe you have 4 seconds after you initiate launch to press the accelerator down and then you must release the brake within 4 seconds to launch.

and to be perfectly clear on the sequence for those trying this out-

.stopped with wheels perfectly straight
.press brake with left foot hard and hold down hard
.quickly and smoothly cycle the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and release using your right foot (while continuing to hold the brake firmly down with your left)
You should see launch mode enabled on your dash (not center screen)
.press accelerator to the floor with your right foot and hold it there
You should feel the car squeak and groan a little bit as the motors "load up" against the drive line
.side step the brake within four seconds and the car will launch else it will timeout and disengage launch mode

and to be perfectly clear on the sequence for those trying this out-

.stopped with wheels perfectly straight
.press brake with left foot hard and hold down hard
.quickly and smoothly cycle the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and release using your right foot (while continuing to hold the brake firmly down with your left)
You should see launch mode enabled on your dash (not center screen)
.press accelerator to the floor with your right foot and hold it there
You should feel the car squeak and groan a little bit as the motors "load up" against the drive line
.side step the brake within four seconds and the car will launch else it will timeout and disengage launch mode

Don't forget "enable Max Battery Power" first and foremost!

I noticed there's two different time-outs while holding the brake for Launch Mode. After you first press and release the accelerator, the "Launch Mode Enabled" message comes on and stays on for 10 seconds. If you depress the accelerator the second time before the 10 seconds expire, it will stay on and the car will squat for 4 seconds. If the 10 seconds expires before you depress the accelerator the second time, you'll get the "Both Pedals Pressed" message and no launch mode.

I went to the 1/4 mile dragstrip in Fontana, CA yesterday and alternated every run (8 total) between Launch mode on and off. There were no differences between the two except I get much better reaction times by just pressing the accelerator quickly. But my best time was the first run with launch mode but probably because the battery was at its highest level of charge.