TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Lexus RC or Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Chasedrgc1223, Mar 17, 2016.

?

Which Car?

1. Lexus RC

2. Tesla Model 3

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Chasedrgc1223

Chasedrgc1223 Nearly Insane

I have to come to a hard decision in the coming months on what car to get for my son. He's been looking at the Lexus RC 350 F- Sport for some time, but also wants to be part of the electric movement. Also, paying for gas is another factor. Here's the dilemma, should we get the Lexus RC this summer or preorder the Model 3 and get a Toyota Corolla in the meantime to at least get him some kind of car and wait until March of next year? Obviously we don't know what it looks like yet, but any input would be appreciated.

2. Tempus

Tempus Member

i'd be fascinated if anyone on this forum suggested getting the lexus :)

3. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

The model 3 won't be available March of next year. It's not expected until the end of 2017.

I would get a used Lexus (my 9 year old 135k mile IS250 is still running perfectly) and wait for the model 3. I will replacing my Lexus with it eventually.

4. Trips

Trips Member

Does he want to wait 24-30+ months? The RC is going to be a very different car than the M3. I have an IS350 and that will be comparable to the M3. I would personally lease the Lexus for 24-30 months and order the Tesla.

• Like x 1
  5. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

I'm kind of in the same boat, except for me it's a Mk7 VW GTI. I'm definitely getting the M3, but I don't expect actual delivery to happen for another 2 years or so, and in the meanwhile I want a GTI. Maybe throw in a Stage 3 APR turbo for funsies. I'd say get the RC now and then replace it with the M3 when it starts hitting the streets.

6. DougH

DougH Active Member

Lexus has become very bland, I say Tesla.

7. Chasedrgc1223

Wel
    Google Lexus RC 350 F-Sport Molten Pearl... Anything but bland! He's just hoping the Model 3 will retain much of the Model S character and not me bland!

8. DougH

DougH Active Member

Lexus's are soulless cars.

9. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

Meh. Might as well get him a BMW M235i if he's gonna be burning gasoline.

10. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

How old is your son?

11. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

First car? How much driving has he done?

In my opinion, giving teenagers high powered cars is generally a recipe for trouble - I managed to get in over my head a couple times in an old, underpowered slug of a pickup before I figured out where the limits are.

Actually, that's another benefit of the Model 3 in your situation, though - you most likely won't see that car for two or three years anyway, and in the mean time you can find something with much less power and much cheaper paint/fenders that you may not care about dents in to gain experience with.
    Walter

12. Chasedrgc1223

He's turning 17 this year. I have no worries about his driving/experience as he has been driving my Model S for months now and can handle its power. What I'd like to get him is a performance Model 3 if they end up making one, hopefully a P60 or something.
    As for them being soulless, I had a GS 350 F-Sport and absolutely loved it. Best car I have ever owned before Tesla.

13. DougH

DougH Active Member

My
    My first nice car as a 2002 GS300 and I loved it, it just got to be so boring. So I am with you that they were nice but they have become very bland cars. unlike Tesla. Tesla is the future Lexus is not.

14. SM18

SM18 Member

Probably better off leasing the RC for now. By the time the lease is up, Model 3 should be in production. Knowing Tesla, it'll probably be out early 2018 instead of late 2017.

15. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

Wow, you a generous dad. ;)

16. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

If it were me, I'd lease a Smart ED for your son. 2 seats means no getting trouble with a car load of friends. The limited range means no long road trips. Smart ED drivers say it's still peppy and fun to drive.

As well, we wouldn't want the kids to have entitlement issues with a too nice car at a young age. We want them to learn personal responsibility.

17. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

#17 Candleflame, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    completly inappropritate for someone who is 16 years old, has learned driving in america and shares the road with other americans (no disrespect to anyone here). he will kill himself.

18. glenhurst

glenhurst Member

Seeing as how your son wants to be part of the electric movement, you might consider getting a used Leaf. They can be had for $10k - $15k, and the Model 3 when it becomes available. Or if you want new, consider leasing a new Leaf. I can't see any reason to buy a gasoline car for a teenager (whose distance needs would be modest at best).

19. Chasedrgc1223

I really don't want to have to get him that Lexus AND the Tesla, as that would be a little too generous.
    The whole personal responsibility aspect would be solved by leasing the Corolla, as I do want to get him a cheap car before he gets the Tesla, mostly to ensure his skill sets and build that responsibility. He does need the range, so the Leaf is out of the question, and I'm almost certain he will not want the Smart.

20. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

Chase, what abouta Vauxhall Corsa? You know... for character building. xD

No seriously, what about a second hand 3 series? Drives great, not that expensive and doesnt look like *sugar*.