Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Li-Ion Battery for 2021 Model S and Model X

r1200gs4ok

Jul 17, 2019
Irvine
I have heard that the new 2021 Model S and Model X will have a new 12v Li-Ion battery.....will this battery be able to be put into a 2020 Model S when it is time to change the 12v battery? thanks in advance

NickFie

Sep 28, 2017
Near Philadelphia, PA
Tesla’s new Li-Ion battery will probably fit older S & X.

You don’t have to wait. Ohmmu has been selling Li-Ion batteries for S & X, also 3 & Y for years. They have a strong reputation. One stumble when the Model 3 battery internal control system didn’t work well after a Tesla update. They did free battery swap for affected customers.

We got a 12 Volt battery warning message on our 2017 S 100D last Fall. Ordered the battery and installed it in relatively short order.

r1200gs4ok

Jul 17, 2019
Irvine
Tesla’s new Li-Ion battery will probably fit older S & X.

You don’t have to wait. Ohmmu has been selling Li-Ion batteries for S & X, also 3 & Y for years. They have a strong reputation. One stumble when the Model 3 battery internal control system didn’t work well after a Tesla update. They did free battery swap for affected customers.

We got a 12 Volt battery warning message on our 2017 S 100D last Fall. Ordered the battery and installed it in relatively short order.
anything special to do for installation???? or is it just like any other R&R

NickFie

Sep 28, 2017
Near Philadelphia, PA
Follow their instructions and video.
  • Remove frunk trim.
  • Leave driver’s window open. Turn off car.
  • Disconnect First Responder Loop.
  • Remove some vents and drains. This takes careful attention to how they’re fastened and gentle pressure.
  • Remove frunk tub.
    Disconnect old battery, wrap leads to ensure they don’t touch metal.
  • Remove old battery. I took a few minutes to clean up exposed structure.
  • Ensure you have the key in your pocket.
  • Attach new battery. Alarm will sound when power starts. Use the lock button to stop the alarm.
  • Reverse disassembly.

NickFie

Sep 28, 2017
Near Philadelphia, PA
AD5C42F0-DDC0-4456-928D-C8700221F8EC.jpeg

Ohmmu battery just installed.

• Remove frunk trim.
  • Remove some vents and drains. This takes careful attention to how they’re fastened and gentle pressure.
  • Remove frunk tub.
  • Attach new battery. Ala

r1200gs4ok

Jul 17, 2019
Irvine
View attachment 637795
Ohmmu battery just installed.

• Remove frunk trim.
  • Remove frunk tub.
  • Attach new battery. Ala
super pix......thanks a lot.....I am looking for batteries now...thanks again

r1200gs4ok

Jul 17, 2019
Irvine
Oct 10, 2019
So-Cal
  • Remove frunk trim.
  • Remove frunk tub.
  • Attach new battery. Alarm will sound when power starts. Use the lock button to stop the alarm.
  • Reverse disassembly.
Its funny I've disconnected the damn thing a few dozen times and it only sets off the alarm like 30% of the time, i do the exact same thing every time: HV loop then neg on the batt, and reverse it back together. I think it has to do with how many times i open the door while working on the car maybe. I dono just an oddity i cant seem to explain.

NickFie

Sep 28, 2017
Near Philadelphia, PA
Its funny I've disconnected the damn thing a few dozen times and it only sets off the alarm like 30% of the time, i do the exact same thing every time: HV loop then neg on the batt, and reverse it back together. I think it has to do with how many times i open the door while working on the car maybe. I dono just an oddity i cant seem to explain.
Both times I disconnected the battery, alarm sounded when I reconnected.

It may correlate with disconnect duration. Both of my disconnect sessions were more than 30 minutes. It takes a while to run out of wrong ways to do something before finally getting it right.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC