Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New lights, odd notches in light pattern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The theoretical advantage is how adaptive they can be. You can have very precise control over where you illuminate and when. You could vary how the lights work based on traffic, weather, terrain, etc.

The caveat, as with anything, is how well it is implemented. Given Tesla's track record, I expect them to take several software releases to showcase its true potential on the S. Assuming they didn't make any issues they can't correct through the hardware implementation/design and the issues can be corrected through software.

The theoretical advantage is how adaptive they can be. You can have very precise control over where you illuminate and when. You could vary how the lights work based on traffic, weather, terrain, etc.

The caveat, as with anything, is how well it is implemented. Given Tesla's track record, I expect them to take several software releases to showcase its true potential on the S. Assuming they didn't make any issues they can't correct through the hardware implementation/design and the issues can be corrected through software.
Yeah I guess we'll see how that goes. I was wondering if they had mentioned specific ideas for them. Your examples of traffic, weather and terrain make sense - I guess things like high beams that can omit areas containing other vehicles or people, keeping beams extra low for fog, adjusting for hills maybe. Seems funny to ship new lights without software to drive them yet but I guess they'll get there.

Yeah I guess we'll see how that goes. I was wondering if they had mentioned specific ideas for them. Your examples of traffic, weather and terrain make sense - I guess things like high beams that can omit areas containing other vehicles or people, keeping beams extra low for fog, adjusting for hills maybe. Seems funny to ship new lights without software to drive them yet but I guess they'll get there.
That's the "cool" thing about Tesla, they can push software updates after shipping the cars without having to worry all too much.

Like I got a recall notice about some seatbelt sound ordeal, normal dealerships would have to call in EVERY car they sold for this issue costing a ton in labor. Tesla just pushed out a software update to fix it.

Reactions: Graham J
It all depends on how high of a priority it is for Tesla. It may be good enough as far as Tesla is concerned and leave it as is. They might just say it is within spec and leave it at that.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to fix it.