Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New logic for “Hold Steering Wheel” nags in 2018.21.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a straight road there is no turning.
Assuming there is no problem with the car. I.E. Requiring reboot (...) or needs service.

Even on a straight road my car has "some" steering wheel motion. Enough motion where my hand produces slight resistance which is enough to satisfy the warning (nag). However, if there is absolutely no movement (rare) in the steering wheel then a very small torque in one direction or the other on my part is needed.

Again, slight resistance or slight torque are the two. No wiggle or jiggle which both would be multiple movements back and forth instead of a slight torque in only 1 direction.

Reactions: boaterva
Assuming there is no problem with the car. I.E. Requiring reboot (...) or needs service.

Even on a straight road my car has "some" steering wheel motion. Enough motion where my hand produces slight resistance which is enough to satisfy the warning (nag). However, if there is absolutely no movement (rare) in the steering wheel then a very small torque in one direction or the other on my part is needed.

Again, slight resistance or slight torque are the two. No wiggle or jiggle which both would be multiple movements back and forth instead of a slight torque in only 1 direction.
And my point was that yesterday the amount of resistance/jiggle/whatever that I've been using for past several months, at least, was no longer sufficient.

And my point was that yesterday the amount of resistance/jiggle/whatever that I've been using for past several months, at least, was no longer sufficient.
Right. Which why I wrote the following. This would indicate an issue with the car instead of the driver. Others have reported the same problem as you and they were able to resolve it by using the methods being discussed. i.e. Not changing your driving style.

I did notice that the "nagging" appeared to be different time intervals but didnt put much thought beyond it, I did feel it was more frequent that before; also the flashing is also only on the top of the screen and not the whole screen.

But the biggest change I noticed is that I am able to not get the nagging with one hand on the wheel, it feels like the "torque correction" required or the sensitivity of it has gone up and I am able to now for the most part be nag free while my hand is on the wheel.

Previously, even when one hand was on the wheel I had to make a conscious correction AFTER the nagging started to make it go away, it appears they have improved this. But its still not perfect though, some of the occasions it still required me to make a deliberate correction for the flashing to go away even though my hand was on the wheel.

Tesla just made AP less safe.

Elon has stated that it has been the experienced/complacent drivers that were getting into accidents. Now the experienced/complacent drivers are just going to shove water bottles and oranges into their steering wheel.

Tesla should require owners to take/pass an online AutoPilot safety training course. From the App, Web or the Center Console.

The course is tied to a Driver Profile and AP can only be activated once the course is complete (or it is speed limited to 35mph). The training should be required/reactivated annually. It's not perfect, there are ways around that too... however it will educate owners and reduce Tesla's liability. It's a compromise between treating owners like adults vs idiots... educating a few idiots might save a life (telling them to use an Orange, probably not).

Example; Ninebot speed limits Seqways until the users goes through training to activate higher speeds.

• Disagree
Reactions: StefanSarzio
Until and including 2018.18, which is the version I had before this one, I saw no evidence of “timed” or distance-based nags. They came up based on conditions where AP lost enough confidence (and didn’t detect hands on the wheel, of course) for example: steep turn, faded lane markings, etc.

Nags have been rigorously timed under certain conditions prior to this software version.

This is from software 7.1 (a long damn time ago).