Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Long Range Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys think the new LR Model S will have ludicrous mode?

With a 0-60 time at 3.1 seconds, it is faster than insane (3.2 seconds).

Also, the other Model S models are Plaid and Plaid+
It’s doubtful because the regular S or even the Performance 3 didn’t get "Insane" mode after they started Ludicrous. I think they need to leave the special things to the Performance models. That said they could add either Ludicrous or Insane to the Performance Model 3 if they were not using it.

Plaid+ seems to be the replacement ludicrous mode.

The base new Model S is faster than ludicrous mode was.

It's listed as 3.1 seconds and the most recent Ludicrous was 2.3. Granted 2.3 was with 1-ft rollout and 3.1 is without, so they should be closer. 1-ft rollout doesn't make up that whole difference does it?

I'm considering trading in my P100D for a new Long Range depending on how the acceleration feels. The Plaid is $40k more and the only difference appears to be a bigger rear drive unit. For $40k. Just doesn't seem worth it.

I wouldn't put it past them to over an "acceleration boost" aka Ludicrous Mode for the new Long Range. It's listed at 670HP which is close to the old Performance model. It would also make it similar to the 3/Y long range in that regard.

I just think there is a sweet spot in there between 3.1 for the LR and 1.99 for the Plaid where you could charge people like myself a few $K and have a 0-60 somewhere in the 2.7-2.8 range that wouldn't hurt sales of the Plaid.

Seeing as sales are apparently spiking (according to articles), not likely to happen for a while but we can hope.

It's listed as 3.1 seconds and the most recent Ludicrous was 2.3. Granted 2.3 was with 1-ft rollout and 3.1 is without, so they should be closer. 1-ft rollout doesn't make up that whole difference does it?

I'm considering trading in my P100D for a new Long Range depending on how the acceleration feels. The Plaid is $40k more and the only difference appears to be a bigger rear drive unit. For $40k. Just doesn't seem worth it.

I wouldn't put it past them to over an "acceleration boost" aka Ludicrous Mode for the new Long Range. It's listed at 670HP which is close to the old Performance model. It would also make it similar to the 3/Y long range in that regard.
I doubt the new LR will feel anything like the P100D off the line. The Performance 3 time is roughly the same as the new LR. The P3 feels much slower off the line than a Performance S without the S using Ludicrous Plus. I would think it will lack the gut punch off the line more like the P3.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
One weird side effect of how super-fast the Plaid and Plaid+ are:

The performance of that $200-250K Roadster doesn’t seem so special anymore, now does it? :confused:

Might be a rare instance where a Tesla price drop actually IS in order...
M

I just think there is a sweet spot in there between 3.1 for the LR and 1.99 for the Plaid where you could charge people like myself a few $K and have a 0-60 somewhere in the 2.7-2.8 range that wouldn't hurt sales of the Plaid.

Seeing as sales are apparently spiking (according to articles), not likely to happen for a while but we can hope.

There is always the concern of additional warranty expense when boosting the performance. Just a few $k doesn't pay for many half shaft replacements (*) if the design is already pushed to the limits.

(*) apparently a common problem with X/S with air suspension.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
True and that’s a big “if”. Remember this is the new redesigned S so hopefully they have updated suspension components. Furthermore Tesla tends to over engineer their cars and there is always room for more such as how they gave Model 3 owners the acceleration boost.

My guess is they have built in a margin of safety for the new S so they can offer more down the road. Many wonder why with all the improvements in efficiency, the mileage hasn’t really increased much. Some think it’s a smaller battery. That may be the case but I think there is extra capacity for future offerings such as the “acceleration boost.” My current car is a dual motor M3 and I was thrilled when they offered the boost which I quickly purchased. It goes to show the at the LR S may have a trick or two up it’s sleeve. Just my 2 cents and only time will tell.

Reactions: TFCooper3
Plaid+ seems to be the replacement ludicrous mode.

The base new Model S is faster than ludicrous mode was.

I think just regular Plaid is the replacement for Ludicrous.

The base model shouldn't be faster to 60mph, 2.3 with rollout so @2.6 with Ludi vs 3.1 without so @2.8 on the base (I believe rollout is worth .3 IIRC). However, I am interested to see acceleration after 60. Is the base model using the carbon inserts? Is that what helps keeps peak power out to top speed? If so, I bet it is faster than Ludi in the 1/4 mile (and probably everywhere after 60 miles per hour).

I think it's close already (see above) and any closer would hurt Plaid sales. I am really surprised they didn't software limit the base to around 3.5 but, maybe the 3.1 is the software limit 'current'ly :p

I think just regular Plaid is the replacement for Ludicrous.

The base model shouldn't be faster to 60mph, 2.3 with rollout so @2.6 with Ludi vs 3.1 without so @2.8 on the base (I believe rollout is worth .3 IIRC). However, I am interested to see acceleration after 60. Is the base model using the carbon inserts? Is that what helps keeps peak power out to top speed? If so, I bet it is faster than Ludi in the 1/4 mile (and probably everywhere after 60 miles per hour).

That will be interesting to see what the 1/4 mile will be for the new LR with the new sustained peak power. I'm more interested in 0-60 because I would use that more.:)

Reactions: byeLT4
I don't think they would offer ludicrous on a non-performance model, how else can they justify the cost of performance? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the non-performance Ses have 2 acceleration modes (Chill and Normal), where the Performance models have Chill, Sport, Ludicrous, and Ludicrous+ (no "Normal").

The primary difference between (on paper) with the new models is that the LR has 1 motor in the rear and the P has 2 motors, which allows for much better torque vectoring, but going on experience of driving my "LR" (before they started branding it as that) and having driven P cars, as the most noticeable thing (as described upthread as a "gut punch") is the accelerator curve. The LR has a linear yet softer curve, while performance has more of a direct-on hit. That experience is what you're paying for.

And yes, they absolutely would lose sales if they offered a Ludicrous upgrade for a few thousand above the LR price vs the $40k for Plaid, because I personally would go for that instead hahaha.

One weird side effect of how super-fast the Plaid and Plaid+ are:

The performance of that $200-250K Roadster doesn’t seem so special anymore, now does it? :confused:

Might be a rare instance where a Tesla price drop actually IS in order...
M
my guess it that the Roadster (if it ever actually comes out), will be built in limited #s and as such, will demand higher price. (rarity/scarcity factor can push prices sky high on vehicles). Also, my other hypothesis is that a person shopping for a Roadster isnt cross shopping to a 4 door sedan.

I know its getting off topic but... Roadster is definitely coming. They just need batteries to hit the predicted range. I really thought it was going to be the performance (metric) that needed the new cells but apparently I was wrong. A Plaid Roadster (with 18650s) could currently run the perf. numbers it needs but the range might only be about 450 miles (assuming similar pack capacity as Plaid S) . I agree that a Roadster shopper probably isn't looking for a sedan, however, what a convenient stepping stone created LOL. I mean, if I could afford it, I would get a Plaid S to fill in the gap since the Roadster will be a while. Some (lucky) people have to have the latest, greatest and fastest toys :D

Keeping on topic: Still curious if the base motors will have the ability to keep peak power at higher speeds. I guess that could be software limited too? Maybe this will be the last time I bring this up... :p

Reactions: phantasms
I know its getting off topic but... Roadster is definitely coming. They just need batteries to hit the predicted range. I really thought it was going to be the performance (metric) that needed the new cells but apparently I was wrong. A Plaid Roadster (with 18650s) could currently run the perf. numbers it needs but the range might only be about 450 miles (assuming similar pack capacity as Plaid S) . I agree that a Roadster shopper probably isn't looking for a sedan, however, what a convenient stepping stone created LOL. I mean, if I could afford it, I would get a Plaid S to fill in the gap since the Roadster will be a while. Some (lucky) people have to have the latest, greatest and fastest toys :D

Keeping on topic: Still curious if the base motors will have the ability to keep peak power at higher speeds. I guess that could be software limited too? Maybe this will be the last time I bring this up... :p

The Plaid powertrain leverages carbon sleeved rotors on both rear motors which is the trick to maintaining power at high RPM. Tesla doesn't advertise the dual motor powertrain featuring that but... Tesla also likes to reduce manufacturing complexity, so it's possible the rear motor in the dual powertrain is one of the same motors the plaid uses. Time will tell.

Reactions: byeLT4