Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new long range model Y with very low EPA range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got LR last week and my numbers are way off...my energy consumption is 310wh/mi, and surprisingly my auto lock is also not working, I have to manually lock it from phone every time
Do you have auto locking set up? Controls > Locks > Walk-Away Door Lock And I don't think 310 wh/mi is 'way off'. There are lots of factors that go into that number. Please do a search here on the forum for lots of good info on range and energy consumption. You can also look at the car's energy usage grapoh to see where you are using energy. Good info here too - Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Just picked up my model Y long range, the same day I noticed that the EPA range is really low (battery 80% only show 200 EPA miles). For a 330 miles car, 80% battery should has around 264 miles. Now this car is within 100miles/7 days grace period. Is this normal? software problem or battery issue? I already submitted a service request, then there is a message in tesla app "...the HV battery for your car was ordered........" If this is true, I am not happy to get a car with defect battery.
Thats sounds really upsetting , their support & service isnt much help, they are really vague about the battery, warranty, my battery has degraded 11% w/17K mls -18 mnths, all they say is its normal degradation, 20% degradation in 2yrs is normal?? Its frustrating, but your car is new, if your not getting 330 mls @ 100%, they have to address it. They can’t expect new Tesla buyers to be calculating range upon delivery. They need to help you if your YLR doesnt have 330 mls. If I ever get another Tesla Im checking battery w/energy app prior to accepting delivery

Out of curiosity, if the car is one week old and Tesla replaces the battery, would Tesla have the right to install a Re-manufactured one? Ethically, a new one is indicated, but do ethics play any role here?
This is the eternal question in many applications.

I remember back when cellphones could actually be repaired, the repair would typically be a "swap"

They swapped the "motherboard" in the phone, and tossed the defective one in a pile. The pile was sent to be remanufactured and when it had been repaired it would go into the other pile that was used to swap.

You would buy a brand new iphone and because of some small issue, they would just swap the motherboard out and you would risk getting a board that had liquid damage, but was deemed repaired.

I guess with batteries it's even worse as they can be working but just degraded. This i think, is the reason the whole battery swapping station idea, never took off. Who would want to buy a car with a brand new battery, just to have it swapped to another one at a swap station, that had only maybe 85% of capacity left.

Reactions: ArtK
For a recent production vehicle Tesla would probably pull a new battery pack from inventory to replace the failed pack. If Tesla does choose to install a refurbished battery pack then the battery pack would have been remanufactured, tested, before being certified for installation.

Reactions: DanDi58