Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New long range won’t charge past 361 (instead of 373)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The pack being cold this time of year can keep the reading a little low when using AC current.

Supercharging would warm the pack enough to litigate this but hopefully you aren't aiming for 100% there.

Be interesting to see if Raven owners are seeing cell voltage capped lower like those of us with older cars are. They lowered from 4.2 to 4.11 and on an 85 pack that is a loss of 10+miles via software "update"

Tesla advertises the cars with 373 miles of range. I would not take delivery of one unless it was charged to 100% showing 373 miles at the time of delivery. This calculation is based on a static EPA multiplier and the only reason for deviation would be battery degradation or an intentional software limit placed there by Tesla. I cannot believe people are taking delivery of cars that don't meet Tesla's basic advertised specification of 373 miles. I did not accept delivery of my 2013 Model S until I could see that it would show a range of 265 miles at 100% charge.

If the range shown at 100% is 363 miles then you are surely not getting what Tesla supposedly sold to you. Do not accept the excuses service gives, saying "the range displayed depends on your driving habits". First, that's a total fiction because that range must reflect Tesla's EPA rating. The only range estimate that factors driving habits is the one in the Energy app. The one next to the battery icon is determined by EPA multiplier.

Tesla's own FAQs confirm:

"The range displayed is not adapted based on driving pattern or other factors that impact range. When fully charged, the driving range displayed is based on regulating agency certification (Environmental Protection Agency - EPA). To view estimated range based on average consumption, open the Energy app."​

If your 100% SOC range displayed is less than 373 miles, your battery has less capacity than was advertised. Period. Everything service says is a talking point given to them by corporate to make you go away. It should be very simple for Tesla to show you the full, advertised capacity at delivery. If they can't, well, that's a problem isn't it?

Tesla may have a problem because as far as I know there are no production Model S Long Range vehicles that charge to 373 mi under any circumstances. It is not physically possible. Someone should consider litigation to get them to correct the website as litigation seems to be treated as casual email for Tesla these days (i.e., you won’t get a response otherwise).

Tesla advertises the cars with 373 miles of range. I would not take delivery of one unless it was charged to 100% showing 373 miles at the time of delivery. This calculation is based on a static EPA multiplier and the only reason for deviation would be battery degradation or an intentional software limit placed there by Tesla. I cannot believe people are taking delivery of cars that don't meet Tesla's basic advertised specification of 373 miles. I did not accept delivery of my 2013 Model S until I could see that it would show a range of 265 miles at 100% charge.

If the range shown at 100% is 363 miles then you are surely not getting what Tesla supposedly sold to you. Do not accept the excuses service gives, saying "the range displayed depends on your driving habits". First, that's a total fiction because that range must reflect Tesla's EPA rating. The only range estimate that factors driving habits is the one in the Energy app. The one next to the battery icon is determined by EPA multiplier.

Tesla's own FAQs confirm:

"The range displayed is not adapted based on driving pattern or other factors that impact range. When fully charged, the driving range displayed is based on regulating agency certification (Environmental Protection Agency - EPA). To view estimated range based on average consumption, open the Energy app."​

If your 100% SOC range displayed is less than 373 miles, your battery has less capacity than was advertised. Period. Everything service says is a talking point given to them by corporate to make you go away. It should be very simple for Tesla to show you the full, advertised capacity at delivery. If they can't, well, that's a problem isn't it?

Hmm, just took a delivery with showed 88% for 315 miles. ( 2020 M3 Long Range). Well, charging slow now to 100% and will post the miles. Will consider to bring it back if the total miles with 100% charge much less, than advertised.

New model S has not charged past 361 miles. I am in NJ and I use both home wall charging and super charging . I have never seen it charge up to a rated 373 miles. Is this normal?
As I mentioned on another reply, I am in the same situation: 100% equal 363 miles On the date of delivery. The car had 6 miles on the delivery date. And, as soon as I got out of my garage I lost a mile almost immediately. So, basically 361 miles as you have.
Here’s a choice for me: To have the agreement with myself, that the car really can charge up to 360+ miles range (100%) or return the car, because it doesn’t show 373 miles on 100% charge. Of course regular charging habit you’ll be around 60-70%. I am leaning to the keeping the car decision. Still have a few more days to change my mind.

Well, and verdict is: 100% equal 363 miles. Now I have to decide either live with it or return it.

As you weigh this decision:

What will an extra 10 miles (2.7%) of EPA rated range actually get you in the real world?

What will you replace it with?

I agree it’s sheisty that basically every car rolls off the line with a meter on the dash that displays less range than advertised... but the act of giving the car back in this case seems pretty over the top.

Personally, I think it would be ridiculous to return the car because it charges to 10 miles less than advertised (about 3%). Seriously, how many of you would NOT have purchased a Model S LR if the advertised range was 362? Even if they were to change the listed range, they are NOT going to lower the price.

Is it coincidence that the max range is 3% less than advertised when we recently got an update that gave us, wait for it.....3% more power??

What will an extra 10 miles (2.7%) of EPA rated range actually get you in the real world?

I agree it’s sheisty that basically every car rolls off the line with a meter on the dash that displays less range than advertised... but the act of giving the car back in this case seems pretty over the top.
Well, it is not about what the extra 12 miles might get us to, but rather the question why it shows less, that advertised.
I spoke with Tesla folks about it and this is not just my first Tesla by the way.
Anyway, the way they explained things do makes sense. I asked them to run full diagnostic just in case.
The explanation was about this; The car charged to let’s say 90%, but seats at the lot for a few days or even weeks, slowly losing energy but miles remain the same. So, the onboard computer calculates less miles per charge. And the funny thing is, - everybody have the same question. Don’t get me wrong, - I love Tesla cars and share Tesla’s vision.
I think the company can benefit by explaining the brand new cars customers those details, so nobody going to freak out over this.

You are advocating for customers to accept Tesla's false advertising and misrepresentation without any recourse?

Personally, I think it would be ridiculous to return the car because it charges to 10 miles less than advertised (about 3%). Seriously, how many of you would NOT have purchased a Model S LR if the advertised range was 362? Even if they were to change the listed range, they are NOT going to lower the price.

Is it coincidence that the max range is 3% less than advertised when we recently got an update that gave us, wait for it.....3% more power??
Are you saying that it's okay for Tesla to alter your EPA specs after purchase and without your permission? That is illegal.

To everyone here, if you think it's okay for Tesla to do these things then please visit this thread where many S owners received software updates to GIMP their charging rate and removing 10% or more of range. No notification or permission requested. Just boom, here it is and live with it.

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Tesla owner lawsuit claims software update fraudulently cut battery capacity

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/10/04/t...ttery-capacity-loss-fire-investigation-nhtsa/

Tesla’s disappearing miles: Owners say automatic software fix has had unwanted side effects

When you purchased your vehicles, you entered into a contract where Tesla agreed to provide you with the product that was advertised. Then Tesla sends you a software update that improves performance (which you never asked for and had no issues with) and removed 3% of your range (which is something you paid for). That 3% has real monetary value that was removed without compensation which will also negatively impact your resale values.

The only way Tesla will change is if owners start demanding that Tesla deliver exactly what was promised. Period.

The only way Tesla will change is if owners start demanding that Tesla deliver exactly what was promised. Period.

Does this contract you entered into guarantee you over-the-air free software improvements? Every additional feature/functionality you got from software updates after your car was delivered to you are not what you purchased. You are getting MORE than was advertised. Constantly.

How about if Tesla decided to stop providing FREE over the air updates, giving you additional/new functionality that they never "promised" and you didn't pay for? You can't have it both ways. You bought a car that is constantly, with no additional cost to you, being improved upon in free software updates. And you are up in arms because of a less than 3% difference in estimated vs. actual mileage? Seriously?

Can't please everyone I guess.

• Disagree
Reactions: am_dmd and dbldwn02
You are advocating for customers to accept Tesla's false advertising and misrepresentation without any recourse?
I’m advocating for pragmatism and reason. Besides, last I checked the EPA decides the car’s range, not Tesla. No?

Put another way, I’ve never taken a car back because it failed to achieve its EPA MPG rating (and every car I’ve ever owned has missed that mark by far more than 2.7%).

Are you saying that it's okay for Tesla to alter your EPA specs after purchase and without your permission? That is illegal..
ROFL, no it’s not. They’ve done it multiple times now! Do cite this law you speak of!