Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New *low* mileage record for first month of ownership...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my MS for nearly a month now and it has... 332 miles. I'm thinking that has to be some kind of record! The car runs perfectly fine, I love driving it, but I just haven't been able to drive it much in this first month.

Why, you ask?

Well, I have an upcoming mediation with the ex-wife and financial issues will be discussed. I don't want to sew discord by showing off my new Tesla, so I'm still puttering around in my old 2008 Prius until this is done with.

Meanwhile, the Tesla lives over in my girlfriend's garage where it sips on the 110v outlet at 3mi/hr and hides in the dark. I do go and "visit" my car frequently, sometimes just to look at it. My girlfriend's neighbors don't know my name, they just call me the "Tesla Guy." :)

I had a NEMA 14-50 installed here in my garage. It's never been used thus far.

I bought my car France and had some paperwork problems. It stayed in the Paris service center for 3 weeks until that was sorted. And in the first day I finally got the car and I drove 10 km after which the HVAC short circuited and they took the car for another week. So I know and understand the suffering.

At least you get to have a look at it and sit in it as much as you want!

Suggestion: Stick to your strategy! You can drive a lot later.

I'm not sure that posting about it on a public forum helps your "hiding it" ...

Sorry to hear about your marriage, that's never easy. I wish you the best with your new girlfriend ... you did mean the Tesla right? :) This car will always love you back.

- K

Admirable restraint.
But consider, if the mediator happens to be a Tesla fan, you pulling up in the car could create subliminal sympathy... Lots of Tesla admirers out there.

Do you think so? I have talked about my car to a few people now and they just gape at it and say, "Aren't those really expensive?"

That is, of course, the last thing I want to hear. Of course some people would answer proudly, "Why yes, it is a very expensive car... and I have worked hard my whole life in order to afford such a nice car." But I don't feel that way. I'm embarrassed to be driving an expensive car.... I would rather this were a $20,000 car that was just "weird" because it was for geeks or engineering types or something. I'm happy being weird, but not wealthy.

And of course if my ex learns about it (and she eventually will... the kids will tell her some day soon) then she will flip out and insist that if I can afford it, then I can afford to pay her more (even though I already pay her an obscene amount each month).

- - - Updated - - -

sorry to hear about the divorce.

The divorce was the best thing I ever did. It's getting stronger like a piece of oak (Louis CK reference).

Louis CK - On divorce and on Social Media - YouTube

Do you think so? I have talked about my car to a few people now and they just gape at it and say, "Aren't those really expensive?"

That is, of course, the last thing I want to hear. Of course some people would answer proudly, "Why yes, it is a very expensive car... and I have worked hard my whole life in order to afford such a nice car." But I don't feel that way. I'm embarrassed to be driving an expensive car.... I would rather this were a $20,000 car that was just "weird" because it was for geeks or engineering types or something. I'm happy being weird, but not wealthy.

And of course if my ex learns about it (and she eventually will... the kids will tell her some day soon) then she will flip out and insist that if I can afford it, then I can afford to pay her more (even though I already pay her an obscene amount each month).

- - - Updated - - -

The divorce was the best thing I ever did. It's getting stronger like a piece of oak (Louis CK reference).

Louis CK - On divorce and on Social Media - YouTube
I'm with you on the embarrassed part. I've gotten a few "aren't those really expensive" and "how much did you pay for it" comments and each time I feel a bit uncomfortable, probably because of my age (24), I feel a bit guilty for spending so much on a car, I try to not say how much I paid and just mention that cost varies substantially based on options.

I don't get it. If "financial issues will be discussed" during mediation, as you state, and is always the case in a divorce settlement, mediated or otherwise, then unless you plan to lie, you must list your assets and liabilities. So you must disclose the Tesla. And unless you hid your finances from your wife during marriage, she knows how much you're worth. So you might as well drive it and enjoy it. Otherwise, it sounds to me like you're trying to pull a fast one on your wife which is not good when it comes to your honour or integrity, or lack thereof.

My first Tesla, a 2013 Model S 85 was delivered by flatbed truck to my house while we were still living in Warsaw, Poland. I had to take delivery a MONTH before we were to arrive back to our house in order to get the original posted prices on car and options or I would have been forced to pay about an extra $5k. So my NEIGHBOR got to be first to drive the car, and it sat in our garage for a MONTH+ before we got back from my Fulbright Scholar appointment in Warsaw.

Hence my 2013 Model S 85 had only about 55 miles TOTAL in that first "month of ownership."

OTOH, I sold that car back in February to migrate to a P85D, and taking delivery of that car at the end of the first week in February, it already has about 18,000 miles on it.

I don't get it. If "financial issues will be discussed" during mediation, as you state, and is always the case in a divorce settlement, mediated or otherwise, then unless you plan to lie, you must list your assets and liabilities. So you must disclose the Tesla. And unless you hid your finances from your wife during marriage, she knows how much you're worth. So you might as well drive it and enjoy it. Otherwise, it sounds to me like you're trying to pull a fast one on your wife which is not good when it comes to your honour or integrity, or lack thereof.
Canuck,

I don't want to go into too much detail, but I'll draw the outline (so that my honor and integrity remains intact on this forum... assuming it does).

I was divorced two years ago. This mediation was for parenting time, not for financial issues specifically. However, my ex-wife's lawyer mentioned that she would like to bring financial issues to the table as well. I would prefer they not be brought up because it's a distraction from what I really care about (parenting time decisions) and I don't think it will materially change anything in our current agreement.

But driving up in a Tesla will stoke resentment and bring money to the forefront of her mind, I fear. So I am driving my old car instead.

Not because I have hid money (I certainly did not) nor am I trying to misstatement my income (also am not) but because the emotions are already running high and I don't want to make things worse or distract from working out parenting time.

Best.... Ozweepay

Canuck,

I don't want to go into too much detail, but I'll draw the outline (so that my honor and integrity remains intact on this forum... assuming it does).

I was divorced two years ago. This mediation was for parenting time, not for financial issues specifically. However, my ex-wife's lawyer mentioned that she would like to bring financial issues to the table as well. I would prefer they not be brought up because it's a distraction from what I really care about (parenting time decisions) and I don't think it will materially change anything in our current agreement.

But driving up in a Tesla will stoke resentment and bring money to the forefront of her mind, I fear. So I am driving my old car instead.

Not because I have hid money (I certainly did not) nor am I trying to misstatement my income (also am not) but because the emotions are already running high and I don't want to make things worse or distract from working out parenting time.

Best.... Ozweepay

Makes sense to me.

Somewhat related, a friend of mine who became a Model S driver last year bought his Model S through an interesting chain of events...

A friend of his ordered a Model S (loaded P85) and was awaiting delivery. Just after delivery (paid cash), literally a couple of days, he suspected that his wife was going to be filing for a divorce soon. In protest of her inevitably screwing him over in the divorce financially, he sold the Model S to my friend at a loss for a *substantial* discount. Two weeks later he was served with divorce papers. He had to buy out his half of quite a few pieces of property, and the Model S would have been one of them.

A year later he's driving a P85D he ordered after the divorce was settled, his ex-wife got something like ~$50k less in the settlement due to the sale of the P85 at a loss, and my friend is driving a deeply discounted P85 that he's happy with. Seems like win-win to me. (His ex-wife was.... well, describable with some not so PG words, and didn't really deserve a cent IMO).

Fun story.

Guilty about car

I'm with you on the embarrassed part. I've gotten a few "aren't those really expensive" and "how much did you pay for it" comments and each time I feel a bit uncomfortable, probably because of my age (24), I feel a bit guilty for spending so much on a car, I try to not say how much I paid and just mention that cost varies substantially based on options.

I just ordered my 70D and I'm only 27. I also feel a bit guilty because I come from a working class family that's never had a luxury car. But I guess that since I already make as much as my parents currently do it was possible. I'm great full for the job opportunity I got at such a young age.

Makes sense to me.

Somewhat related, a friend of mine who became a Model S driver last year bought his Model S through an interesting chain of events...

A friend of his ordered a Model S (loaded P85) and was awaiting delivery. Just after delivery (paid cash), literally a couple of days, he suspected that his wife was going to be filing for a divorce soon. In protest of her inevitably screwing him over in the divorce financially, he sold the Model S to my friend at a loss for a *substantial* discount. Two weeks later he was served with divorce papers. He had to buy out his half of quite a few pieces of property, and the Model S would have been one of them.

A year later he's driving a P85D he ordered after the divorce was settled, his ex-wife got something like ~$50k less in the settlement due to the sale of the P85 at a loss, and my friend is driving a deeply discounted P85 that he's happy with. Seems like win-win to me. (His ex-wife was.... well, describable with some not so PG words, and didn't really deserve a cent IMO).

Fun story.

Interesting story.

I thought it was going to end with your friend buying the P85 back at the same discounted price after the divorce... that would be a little sketchy.

If you want an analysis (you probably don't, but I can't help my personality! :)), your friend actually made a bad move. Imagine, just for illustration, that he paid $100K in martial money for the P85 and that it was still worth $100K at the time of the divorce. Imagine he then sold it for $20K. Yes, that means that the ex-wife eats $40K in the divorce because the marital estate lost $80K in that transaction.

But your friend also lost $40K. If instead he'd kept the car, he would have had to pay $50K to his ex to buy out his interest in the car, but then the car would be his. Instead he got $10K for it (half of the sale price) and then spent $120K of his own money post-dissolution to get another Tesla.

Hmm...

----
Divorces cause a lot of people to do a lot of strange things. Some people would rather pay $100K more in taxes than give $10K more to their soon-to-be-ex spouse. I never understood that.

And believe me, my ex is all kinds of mean and crazy... but she's still the mother of my kids. :)

----

Ok, enough.. back to superchargers and auto-pilot.