Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New LR AWD 322mi range: will existing LR AWD cars get the increased range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clearly it's not a hardware change, the range difference between 310 and 322mi isn't enough to justify that. So I was surprised that the recent 5% power update or "hold" increased regenerative braking mode didn't modify the LR AWD range up to match what's listed on nee LR AWD models now.

Do we think existing LR AWD cars will see this range increase in a different update?

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
You might already have it for all we know. The range updates don't occur immediately.

Check out how long it took to restore 325 miles after they gave me 310.

kZsbzkQ.png

Someone said the change from 310 to 322 miles was due to Tesla finally calculating in the effect of the Aero wheels. This kind of makes sense since the Performance still is only 310 miles.

Performance numbers:

280 miles with 20"
296 miles with 18"

AWD with 18" rims will net 308 mile range.

Source:

Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

That said, we don't know how much these values change with the new 5% performance boost. For me, my power consumption went up (along with horsepower), so I am not seeing range being extended.

Jack Rickard has a youtube segment where he pretty much castigates anyone who thinks they can determine actual range. Tesla included, the range is a calculation based on some assumptions. (Jack says it more entertainingly.) Not math or measurements. Tesla has the ability to free up cell parameters right up to the point your car has an undesired thermal event, so I don't care too much about stretching out the cells.
I don't have a point other than I figure a 30% safety margin on trips and charges, but then I'm used to going up and down hills all the time.

I am only charging to 302 (for full trip range) on my 4 month old AWD. Seems like 5k miles already dropping by 8 is wrong. I’d love to get the 322 so I could be back and close to 310.
Thoughts?

That’s a 2.6% drop in 4 months.
Nothing really wrong with that. Every single car will be different depending on how you treat the battery. Im not saying you don’t take care of it, but if you’re expecting to have 100% battery after 4 months, and who knows how many miles, might be expecting too much.
Batteries do degrade.

Tesla is so cool: notice on my screen recommending charging up to 100% due to the latest PG&E PSPS here in Santa Rosa. Did that overnight on my LR AWD 19" Sport Wheels, car delivered this past April. The original max was 310, recently dropped to 307. I rarely charge to full, but we had several PG&E PSPS's here. Full charge just today was 307 again, so no range increase. I take range with lots of grains of salt anyway: if only freeways at higher speeds, you get a lot less. Plus my roof rack takes off 2-5% when "bare"; a lot more when I add the kayak holders and kayak, some 20-25%. Similar to the decrease in efficiency of my old ICE car so I'm fine with that. But it would be nice to get a coupla handfuls of more miles in range.