Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New LR AWD Charging Slower?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 LR AWD was delivered late last week. I'm charging it for the first time today, and it's showing 17 mi./hr. charging rate. I'm pretty sure my 2018 Model 3 RWD charged at a much faster rate - seems like it was around 30 mi./hr. Does 17 mi./hr. seem slow? Thanks.

Well, I may have found the answer, but I don't understand it. On the touch screen there's a warning notice: "Charge rate reduced - Wall plug temperature high. Wall outlet and wiring inspection recommended." I guess I need to call an electrician, but my new question is: Why would this new LR AWD car cause temperature problems when I charge the 2018 LR RWD over a hundred times with no temperature issues? Thanks.

Yes, 17 mi/hr seems very slow. Assuming that you're using the same charging infrastructure (house wiring, outlet, mobile connector, etc), you should see about the same charging rate - a bit above 30 miles per hour, assuming the battery is between 10% and 90% charged and not too cold or too hot.

As others have noted, the next step is to take a look at the technical details - let us know what voltage and current is shown on the charging screen; a screenshot would be helpful. As well, what does the house side look like - what Tesla connector are you using (Mobile Connector or Wall Connector), what type of outlet are you plugging into, etc.

As a brand new car, there's a possibility of an issue that needs resolving - perhaps the onboard charger is faulty, or the Mobile Connector is faulty (assuming you're using the new one), or something similar.

We're all here to help.

Ahh, and while typing your above message showed up. It's possible that the new Mobile Connector has a better temperature sensor, or perhaps a more sensitive temperature sensor, than your old Mobile Connector. Another is that perhaps a poor connection to the outlet failed when you unplugged the old one to plug in the new one. I think you've got the right answer - get the electrician out to check your outlet. You might complain about the issue, but if the over temp is a real problem Tesla probably just kept your garage from catching fire.

Well, I tried the charging cable that came with the new car - with the NEMA adaptor I've been using for 3 years with the old car - and the charge rate immediately went up to 32 mi./hr. with 232 V and 32/32 A (whatever that means). Does that all sound okay and nothing to worry about?

I noticed Tesla is selling a 2nd generation NEMA adaptor. Should I consider buying that? Thanks again.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
236 V 16/16 A
Ah, well that is informative. That is showing that the car is using 16 out of 16 amps available. That available amount is announced by the charging cable and communicated/negotiated with the charger in the car. That 16 should not be correct. Either the cable isn't announcing right or the charger in the car has a problem. I was thinking it was the onboard charger in the car, because it is built with a few internal circuit boards that handle 16A apiece. That is why the cars have either the 32A or 48A charging. That is either 2 or 3 of those boards populated inside.

I'm actually using the old charging cable that came with my 2018 LR RWD. Should I try the one that came with the new car?
Yes, that would tell if the problem lies with either the cable or the car.
Well, I tried the charging cable that came with the new car - with the NEMA adaptor I've been using for 3 years with the old car - and the charge rate immediately went up to 32 mi./hr. with 232 V and 32/32 A (whatever that means). Does that all sound okay and nothing to worry about?
Oh, well, that's odd. So the old cable had a problem, but the new cable doesn't. 32A is all you can get. I would say that old cable had gone bad or was defective, but that's weird it didn't show that problem until just recently with your new car.

I noticed Tesla is selling a 2nd generation NEMA adaptor. Should I consider buying that?
I think you are confused. You are already using the 2nd generation adapters, because the Model 3 cars all come with the 2nd generation charging cable.

If you get the “temperature high” error again when retrying the old mobile connector, it’s probably safe to say that there’s something wrong with it. Try removing and reseating the adapter cable - perhaps it got knocked a bit loose. If that doesn’t fix it, I think I’d simply declare the old connector as failed and get on with life.

Sometimes the pig tail adapter that is on the UMC will come unplugged just a bit from the UMC. I suspect that by swaping out the UMC you solved the problem by seating the old pigtail firmly into the UMC. If you swap them back, double check the pigtail is firmly in place. It is possible that both your old UMC and new UMC will work fine.

Let us know what you find out.

Reactions: davewill
I've started having the same issues.
After about an hour of charging at 32/32 A @ 237 V, the charge rate dropped to 16/16 A @ 240 V (see attached for data) and this Pop-Up Message appeared behind the steering wheel:
“Charge rate reduced - Wall plug temperature high
Wall outlet and wiring inspection recommended”

So, I took temperature measurements with a non-contact infrared thermometer of all Components' wire end connections with an ambient temperature of 91 degF. They were all around Ambient: 91 degF

The Components are:
2 each 50 Amp 110v Breakers connected with a single throw bar: 4 connectors total
1 each Leviton 50 amps 125/250 V Outlet 14-50R: 4 connectors total
WIRE 36 ft TYPE NM-B AWG 6 CU 3 CDR60 W AWG 10 GROUND (UL) 600 VOLTS REPUBLIC WIRE E466290 10/10/17 16:23:43 PULL-E-Z JP DC: 8 connectors total

Also, The Mobile Connector was warm at 125 degF, measured at the LED "T" in TESLA, when reduced charge rate occurred the “T” in Tesla had turned RED from the normal GREEN.

I've submitted a Service request to Tesla on 6/28/22 with no response as of 7/2/22.

I'll advise when I hear anything.

Attachments

• Tesla Model S LRP Charge Rate Reduction.pdf
    91.9 KB · Views: 81
I ran more tests with the Leviton 14-50R Recepticle and found the 14-50p Plug from the Mobile Connector (MC) was getting up to 155 degF (probably from High Resistance) just before reducing Amps from 32 to 14. (The "T" in
"TESLA" LED on the MC turned from Green to RED when the Temp was high)The MC was also warm at 125 degF.

I then had a Certified Electrician out to trouble shoot the Dash Screen error message on my 2020 Model S LRP “TESLA Charge Rate Reduced-Plug Temp High”

The Electrician said his company has had a few of these Mobile Connector installations that were getting hot and reducing the charge rate. His “Fix" was to just open and look at all the wire connections involved and the accessible interior parts of the Leviton 14-50R (Recepticle). All looked “Like new”. In fact they are 42 months old.

In anticipation of this outcome, I had also inspected all 8 wire connections and had purchased a Hubbell 9450A 14-50R (as recommended within this thread) with galvanized box and cover: total cost was around $144. Since he was already at my house I had the Electrician replace the Leviton with the Hubbell. Install cost was $245.

A 3 hour charge test was conducted with the Leviton beforehand, then after installation of the Hubbell 14-50R device.

Under almost identical ambient temperatures the 14-50P (Plug by TESLA on the MC) temperature differed from using the Leviton @ 155 degF to the Hubbell @ 122 degF. That is a 32 degF drop in Plug temperature.

In summary I highly recommend to ONLY use a HUBBELL 9450A 14-50R for Mobile Connector installations.