Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New LR OR Wait...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off - I'm a long-time follower, first time poster (so go easy on me :) )...

We finally decided to go all-in on a Tesla and went to drive the model S & X yesterday. The model S for us was the clear choice. I decided on the LR and placed my order last night. As I had done plenty of research, I always know that things could get updated at any time. That said, the person helping us yesterday said 'you can take delivery by end of June or you'll probably have to wait until mid-August.' I asked if that was because of a 'refresh' and he said 'I have no idea, just what this is showing me'. Therefore, I didn't think much of it until last night when I couldn't sleep.

The question is - do I wait six weeks to see what the battery event and live event bring in June/July? I'd hate to buy a model S now (a car I've been waiting to purchase for years) then take delivery one to two months prior to a major refresh.

Of course, I may not like the refresh but then I could buy a LR model S used. Feels like purchasing a new LR now is sort of the worst choice.

Obviously if folks here new something I didn't then tell me but I think we're all waiting to see what the next eight weeks brings with Elon's announcements. What I'm looking for is guidance around how all you other model S owners are thinking about this situation.

Any advice is much appreciated!

I would wait until at least after battery day. It is highly likely there will at least be an increase in range, if not something more (interior, exterior, etc). In the end it is a personal choice, my choice would be to wait.

I appreciate the guidance, we’re not in a rush, it’s just more waiting. I think given battery day seems to be in the near future, we might as well wait it out. Increased range is certainly a focus for us.

Personally, I’d just buy it now - it’s a hell of a car as it is. My first one had a 260 mile range (max at the time), and my present one is 320 miles, so I can’t imagine needing more than the 400 miles you get now. Even with winter weather that’s a lot of driving between stops! Plus, it’s a much better deal than it was even 2 years ago. The refresh is most likely to be more performance (3 motors), so unless that floats your boat I’d just order one and start enjoying it sooner!

Reactions: tonybelding
I wonder if this has to do more with their typical quarterly cycle of prioritizing the first two months of production each quarter for overseas specs, as it takes a few weeks to transport those by cargo ship to deliver by quarter end.

And the last month is focused on U.S. production, roughly, since they can get them across the country within the month. And the estimates often get pulled in or updated as they actually start producing and matching to orders and deliveries...

Thanks wwu123 for the input, I agree that could certainly be a factor here. However, there is also another factor at play I believe here (and I don't want to get too much into the world of theory) but...Lucid is about to roll out their 'model s killer' come end of 2021. The look is certainly more progressive than the current 2016 exterior design of the model S and the performance claims are similar, at a lower price point. Granted, they have yet to ship any into Production but if I was Elon, I would want to get ahead of Lucid. The best thing they could do is an exterior refresh to compete with Lucid.

But maybe I am just getting off my rockers and spent to much time thinking about this over the weekend :)

Here’s the thing - it’s a no-lose situation. Either way you’re going to get an awesome car. The question to ask yourself: would you be very disappointed if they did a refresh and you missed out? If so, then wait and see. As others have noted, however, there have been refresh rumors for years. People who’ve been waiting on that ‘refresh just around the corner’ have missed out on years of driving fun!

If you follow Tesla news on Youtube, the S should receive new batteries (million mile, longer range, and faster charging) at a minimum. Wait for Battery Day announcement since range is important. However, we may not hear when the new tech will actually go into production. It may not be available until Jan 2021. With that said, every newbie has range anxiety. It is easily managed during ownership. My S75 has only 240mi range and I never had a problem.

Tesla doesn't have model years - and wait until the fall each year to introduce model changes. Instead, they usually announce changes when they're ready to immediately introduce those changes into production.

It's possible Tesla will announce new battery pack/charging changes at Battery Day - and to avoid destroying product sales, they could be delaying Battery Day until they're ready for those changes to go into manufacturing.

S & X still don't support V3 Supercharging - so that change is likely to come sometime this year - plus Musk has promised a shift to million mile batteries.

So the recommendation to wait until Battery Day may not be a bad strategy. And it's possible that the recent price decreases for S/X could be positioning Tesla to raise the prices when they add longer range and faster charging.

However... Since Tesla continuously upgrades their vehicles (without model years), if you're waiting for the next round of changes before placing an order - you could be waiting forever, since there will always be something new coming in the next 6 to 12 months...

Thanks for all the feedback, great points. Now that we know that Lucid will be showing their car on 9/9...and Elon announces 9/15...I can't imagine Elon isn't hiding something more up his sleeve for the S & X in order to compete. Call me crazy, but now I'm just playing the waiting game.

Inventory cars have free unlimited supercharging (and you should be able to get exactly what you want in inventory) while new orders do not have it. I suspect by 6 weeks or some kind of new announcement, free unlimited supercharging will be a thing of the past. So if that is an important consideration, pick up an inventory model now.

Inventory cars have free unlimited supercharging (and you should be able to get exactly what you want in inventory) while new orders do not have it. I suspect by 6 weeks or some kind of new announcement, free unlimited supercharging will be a thing of the past. So if that is an important consideration, pick up an inventory model now.
Why do you think it’ll be a thing of the past?
I ask because this isn’t the first time the option has been removed only to return at a later date as a way to increase sales.

Why do you think it’ll be a thing of the past?
I ask because this isn’t the first time the option has been removed only to return at a later date as a way to increase sales.
It's a guess, yes, but I think from things Elon has been saying about it not being sustainable, the price cuts to the Model S, unbundling of free connectivity....seems to be where things are headed. Seems they are including it on inventory models as an incentive to take delivery on excess inventory.