Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3 - missing features [Missing Summon and AutoPark]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I’ve had my M3 Standard for a few weeks, and thought I had just not figured out where to find everything - but … I appear to have no Autopark feature and no “come to me” feature.

The car says on the main screen that it is “autopilot computer: full self driving computer” and “autopilot - included package”

I read in the manual to enable the app to move the car forward you need to go to Autopilot and enable it but I have no option to enable it (the button I see in the manual and on YouTube vids is just not there) and at no point do I get a parking symbol appear, despite hours of dodgy kerb crawling in an attempt to trigger it.
There’s also no upgrade options in the app.

So… am I going slightly mad, or have I missed a vital button, or is it just not available in the newer M3 standards?

Cheers

Autopark and summon -features are part of either Enhanced autopilot or Full Self Driving -packages. If you don't have either, the features are not supposed to function. Basic Autopilot (the free one coming with every car “autopilot - included package”) does not include such functionality.

For both of those features, you have to buy the FSD package:
Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

When you ordered the car the options should have pointed it out already that those features are not included in the standard AP package. All AP includes is the TACC and Autosteer (lane keeping).

Note you can still buy that package in the app or in your Tesla account. Or sign up for the subscription.

I am in the US, and you being in UK, you might still have access to the cheaper EAP package that does include those features. Those of us in the US don't have EAP available anymore.

Hey all,

I’ve had my M3 Standard for a few weeks, and thought I had just not figured out where to find everything - but … I appear to have no Autopark feature and no “come to me” feature.

The car says on the main screen that it is “autopilot computer: full self driving computer” and “autopilot - included package”

I read in the manual to enable the app to move the car forward you need to go to Autopilot and enable it but I have no option to enable it (the button I see in the manual and on YouTube vids is just not there) and at no point do I get a parking symbol appear, despite hours of dodgy kerb crawling in an attempt to trigger it.
There’s also no upgrade options in the app.

So… am I going slightly mad, or have I missed a vital button, or is it just not available in the newer M3 standards?

Cheers

If you didnt order FSD, you dont have those features. If you did order FSD (full self driving) then the issue would be that you have not gotten a software update that enables those.

That second part only applies if you DID purchase the full self driving option.

Here is the list of what is included in autopilot (that comes with the car) and full self driving (additional purchase, that is 10k USD in the US, not sure how much it is in other countries). Autopark and "come to me" (summon) are in the full self driving package:

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 11.39.43 PM.png

I have the full self drive, and it says “full self drive version” on the dash, and my app has no upgrade options
You said in the earlier post that your car says "autopilot - included package", that means it only has AP and does not have the FSD package (at least it's not activated):
SW-AP.jpg

If instead you bought the FSD package, it should say, "Full Self Driving Capability - Included Package"
SW-fsd.jpg

As others mentioned, you can post a screen shot of that screen (with your vin redacted) and people can tell you what package you have installed.

Check your actual order. Did you pay for EAP or FSD option packages? Here's a screenshot of the current order page (price may have changed):
fsd option.jpg

The other way to check is to see under Control > Autopilot if you have options for Navigate on Autopilot or Customize Summon. If you don't have those options, there may be a problem with your EAP/FSD activation (or you didn't buy them yet) and you would need to contact customer service to fix it (it may be the delivery person did no mark your car as "delivered" yet).
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Note for Autopark, when I had it as a trial last year, it was very hard to get the P symbol to show up. I had to creep by the parallel parking space close and slowly for it to show up. Back then Autopark still relied on the ultrasonic sensors, but recently it has changed to cameras, so not sure if the difficulty changed.

Summon however was fairly straightforward to use in the app (have you tried it yet to see if you have that option?).

Attachments

• fsd option.jpg
    fsd option.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 147
I have had my 2023 Model 3 for a week. We paid for FSD. Already it had to go to service when "Airbag System malfunctioning" appeared on screen. A defective module was replaced. Now, contrary to some posts, I have Full Self-Driving, but today when I decided to try Autopark, it was nowhere to be found. I read the manual, watched videos, followed their instructions, but it's nowhere. The Summon and SmartSummon are also missing. This is a big disappointment (an understatement), considering the cost of this vehicle.

I have had my 2023 Model 3 for a week. We paid for FSD. Already it had to go to service when "Airbag System malfunctioning" appeared on screen. A defective module was replaced. Now, contrary to some posts, I have Full Self-Driving, but today when I decided to try Autopark, it was nowhere to be found. I read the manual, watched videos, followed their instructions, but it's nowhere. The Summon and SmartSummon are also missing. This is a big disappointment (an understatement), considering the cost of this vehicle.
If you have a 2023 then it most likely does not have the ultrasonic sensors. You should've had to acknowledge it when you received your VIN, making you aware that your vehicle had this feature removed. 2023 models without the USS will not have Autopark, summon, etc. until they are restored at some point in the future by an over the air (OTA) software update. A similar situation happened with my 2021 when they removed radar, I had to wait for some of the features to return.

If you have a 2023 then it most likely does not have the ultrasonic sensors. You should've had to acknowledge it when you received your VIN, making you aware that your vehicle had this feature removed. 2023 models without the USS will not have Autopark, summon, etc. until they are restored at some point in the future by an over the air (OTA) software update. A similar situation happened with my 2021 when they removed radar, I had to wait for some of the features to return.
Im likely going to need to create a master thread on this, because this is at least the 4th or 5th very recent person who is asking about autopark / summon / park assist on new model 3 / Ys that I have seen in the past couple of days.

This is covered directly by tesla on their website, here:

===================================

Relevant text:

Along with the removal of USS, we have simultaneously launched our vision-based occupancy network – currently used in Full Self-Driving (FSD) Beta – to replace the inputs generated by USS. With today’s software, this approach gives Autopilot high-definition spatial positioning, longer range visibility and ability to identify and differentiate between objects. As with many Tesla features, our occupancy network will continue to improve rapidly over time.
For a short period of time during this transition, Tesla Vision vehicles that are not equipped with USS will be delivered with some features temporarily limited or inactive, including:
  • Park Assist: alerts you of surrounding objects when the vehicle is traveling <5 mph.
  • Autopark: automatically maneuvers into parallel or perpendicular parking spaces.
  • Summon: manually moves your vehicle forward or in reverse via the Tesla app.
  • Smart Summon: navigates your vehicle to your location or location of your choice via the Tesla app.
In the near future, once these features achieve performance parity to today’s vehicles, they will be restored via a series of over-the-air software updates. All other available Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving capability features will be active at delivery, depending on order configuration.

=================================

Now, I have no idea if someone has to acknowledge no ultrasonic sensors when they pick up a car without one, but based on other reports I am betting so. I am also betting that people are acknowledging that without paying attention to what it actually means (above) then coming online somewhere to look for it.

"In the near future". How near? A month? A year? Two? They have a history of being late with everything. They didn't prorate the FSD price but they prorated the car? But then again they've been selling FSD forever and still haven't delivered it. In general if it isn't available when you pay for it, you are unlikely to ever see it. Vaporware is just that.

And I can park a car in half the time it takes for autopark, and in tighter spots than it would even attempt. It is totally useless in NYC for that reason. When I did a test drive before the pandemic the rep wanted to demonstrate it but we both knew it was unlikely to find a spot, nevermind one big enough.

I appear to have no Autopark feature and no “come to me” feature
This should make you feel better: Neither of those features are actually useful. I have those on Nick. I've used them a handful of times, but they're just too slow and unreliable. Great party trick, but it's much faster to do it yourself.

When we had only one car, I sometimes let Nick back into the garage. But in the time it takes to put it in park, foot off the brake, choose direction, get out of the car, I'd already be done doing it myself.

Now that we have two cars in the garage, it only succeeds backing in 50% of the time.

The only thing I miss on Tessie is auto lane change.

(moderator note)

Please direct further discussion on this topic to the stickied thread:

Picked up my 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance after trading in a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range vehicle and there are so many missing items as compared to my 2018 as follows:

(1) Frunk: Missing two ”hooks” for shopping bags and NO mat.
(2) Built-in garage door opener/closer (HomeLink) missing.
(3) Both center storage Bins: missing drawers or something - just a huge well…not organized.
(4) Summon - not available and no date when it will become available. I always used this feature when summoning the vehicle into my narrow garage. Paid, in advance, for this feature, however, it is not available. If I knew that “Summon” was not available now, I would not have ordered and paid the $6,000. upgrade fee. Have been messaging Tesla to refund the purchase, however, still no resolution.
(5) Vehicle came with “summer tires” - however, I live where there is snowy and ice conditions in the northeast and had to immediately purchase four all-season tires (from TireRack - great company!). There was no Tesla option, when ordering the Model 3 Performance, to order all-season tires.
(5) Cameras - passenger side - do not work. Have a service appointment this week to fix…hopefully, that will be handled.

If I did not own the 2018 model, I would not have missed these features as listed above, however, there was no mention of these missing items when I ordered the car in the summer of 2022. How would a ”previous customer” know that there are so many missing items?

Picked up my 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance after trading in a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range vehicle and there are so many missing items as compared to my 2018 as follows:

(1) Frunk: Missing two ”hooks” for shopping bags and NO mat.
(2) Built-in garage door opener/closer (HomeLink) missing.
(3) Both center storage Bins: missing drawers or something - just a huge well…not organized.
These are all features that were changed either with 2021 model year or even earlier, so had been this way for a long time. All of those you can buy from Tesla aftermarket, except for the hooks (although there are third party ones). Other than the Homelink there are also a lot of third party options for the mat, and bins.
(4) Summon - not available and no date when it will become available. I always used this feature when summoning the vehicle into my narrow garage. Paid, in advance, for this feature, however, it is not available. If I knew that “Summon” was not available now, I would not have ordered and paid the $6,000. upgrade fee. Have been messaging Tesla to refund the purchase, however, still no resolution.
This one they announced and you were supposed to approve a disclaimer when you were assigned the VIN:
2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]
Tesla Vision Update: Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision | Tesla Support
(5) Vehicle came with “summer tires” - however, I live where there is snowy and ice conditions in the northeast and had to immediately purchase four all-season tires (from TireRack - great company!). There was no Tesla option, when ordering the Model 3 Performance, to order all-season tires.
(5) Cameras - passenger side - do not work. Have a service appointment this week to fix…hopefully, that will be handled.

If I did not own the 2018 model, I would not have missed these features as listed above, however, there was no mention of these missing items when I ordered the car in the summer of 2022. How would a ”previous customer” know that there are so many missing items?
That's what these forums are for and you can also find changes by googling different model year changes. The Model 3 went through a major refresh in 2021 for example, that removed but added a lot of things:
25 Changes That Tesla Made To The Model 3 With The 2021 Refresh

In case you didn't know, Tesla is known to make changes even between model years (many times unannounced).

I have exactly the same issue with my 2023 Model Y - Summon and SmartSummon all missing, very frustrating! I took delivery of the car last week. I guess it’s now a waiting game till a software update.

Status
Not open for further replies.