Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3 No Regen Braking & Battery Drain issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The regen on the (2017) Mx felt virtually non existent compared to my new m3, I did actually wonder if it was turned off somehow! I really missed it, I checked settings and found it was set to creep and regen was set to standard, I think the creep setting may have had something to do with it...

Creep wont make much difference except the final stopping. Hold mode only came in in the last year and only on cars that support it, ie all Model 3's and only recent Model S & X, so prior to that, creep and roll were/are the only available options. I think we ran creep prior to hold being available and regen was pretty much as it is now except for final few mph prior to stop. Hold may now be the mode of choice for many, but its not always been like that

Creep wont make much difference except the final stopping. Hold mode only came in in the last year and only on cars that support it, ie all Model 3's and only recent Model S & X, so prior to that, creep and roll were/are the only available options. I think we ran creep prior to hold being available and regen was pretty much as it is now except for final few mph prior to stop. Hold may now be the mode of choice for many, but its not always been like that
Came in a week or two after I got my car and I love it.
Without it you can't really play the best game on the M3. "How far can I go without using the brake peddle"

Reactions: JimBob 909
If the OP had raised this with Tesla then they'd have been faced with probably a months wait for an appointment and Tesla often seek to get agreement to a diagnostic charge if no fault is found. So far I feel this thread has raised a number of points and even though some of those have come to a dead end, any one of which could have resolved the problem.

Even though these proved not to be fruitful, part of the diagnosis of a problem includes ruling out things it could be. You'd be a genius if you were always right first time with your hunch.

So far
- reboots have been suggested,
- driving for an extended period of time to ensure the battery is warm does not seem to have resolved the matter,
- various settings have been tried inc creep and regen,
- different profiles have been suggested and saving and resaving suggested and tried
- and I believe even a drive in a different car to check expectation is realistic.

I must admit after all those things, especially experiencing regen in a different car to compare if thats been done and no resolution then Tesla would be the next logical route, but I'd include those steps that have been taken in any ticket even though fruitless as they are all informative in their own way..

Maybe software version is worth looking at in case that's old or if it is the current version then another thing to add to the steps taken/checked. If nothing else when talking to Tesla it shows self diagnosis has been tried.

A bit of stiff cardboard in the spokes to emulate the effects of regen? :)

Just like we use to do on bikes - do kids still do that these days? Material of choice was a piece of card that came with something* and a clothes peg. Doubt many modern day child will know what these things are. I've clearly forgotten.

* small rectangle of card with picture and text on. I would say came with cigarette packet but my parents didn't smoke. So maybe matches, it was match box sized.

Really? I think we need to do a survey on this!
As far as I am concerned Creep is just a throwback to autoboxes. Hold all the way for me.
You have to remember that most people in Europe drive manuals , and we pretty much all learn in one. so we are used to doing our fine manoeuvring on the throttle peddle not the brake.
When I got my first auto after 25 years of manuals I found manoeuvring really hard. Switching to creeping forward via gentle lifting of the brake rather than gentle application of the throttle took quite a while to get used to. If I had the option to turn it off I would have.

please... don’t sue Tesla When you crash your car in a parking lot. Please.

When I release my foot off the accelerator it continues driving on for a good number of seconds before getting to 0mph. I've tried toggling between hold and creep and roll to see if that would get it working again and toggling between low and standard on regen braking but nothing seems to make it work.

Most things seem to have been covered in other replies so just one suggestion. If you can find a longish quiet road or bit of car park, set to hold, drive with regen on standard at 20mph and lift off completely at a fixed point (checking that there's nobody around first) Note where you stop. Repeat with regen on low. There should be a significant difference.

OK, two suggestions. Standard regen and hold should bring you to a halt even when going down a fairly steep hill.

I think there's a massive difference between the USA and the members here, in the UK (this is the UK and Ireland forum, not the USA forum). The vast majority of cars in the UK use manual gearboxes, so we are used to cars that don't move when in gear, with the clutch disengaged. For the majority of UK drivers, having a car creep forward, with no accelerator pedal pressure, is odd behaviour, and not at all normal.

I know from my time working in the USA that the vast majority of US cars have automatic transmissions. I tried, and failed, to get hold of manual gearbox hire cars in the US, they looked at me as if I was crazy for asking for such a thing. My guess is that most people in the US are just used to having cars move without them doing anything.

For most here, that creep is just alien, it's not something expected at all. For example, when my wife bought a Toyota hybrid a couple of years ago, after driving manual transmission cars for around 30 years, she really hated the way it mimicked the creep that an auto transmission car has. She still doesn't like it, and much prefers the Tesla when it's in hold mode, as that matches the way most cars here behave.

Reactions: Fraank and LukeUK

You want to see the size of UK parking spaces! They are small ... for small cars ... the Model 3 is a wide car here and space is very tight ... but funnily enough driving on Hold has never been an issue. The last thing I want a car to do is creep ... I like it to go forward when I push the pedal and to stop when I take my foot off the pedal. I've never owned a car that crept forward without me pressing the accelerator unless on a slope and out of gear.

Seriously you have no idea how odd your coments sound on this side of the pond though the previous replys may have given you a clue.
Quite aside from the fact that we don't have "parking lots" the idea that anyone would add sue a manufacturer due to a car park crash just sounds insane. You would be laughed out of court.
BTW. Most of us also reverse into parking spaces even when not charging as well!!!

Maybe your right about ROW cars. I drive vintage manual trans cars all the time, but most Americans drive automatics.
Autos are becoming more popular but the majority of new cars sold in the UK are still manual and the vast majority on the road are.
Most of our cars are small and fuel is expensive here. Traditional Autos are inefficient, heavy and expensive so do not suit our small fuel efficient hatchbacks. Until recently autos were only really common in big executive cars.
Double clutch autos like the VAG DSG;'s have really started to turn around the image of autos and are becoming popular in midrange cars. They are much more efficient but still heavy and expensive. There still isn't a really popular auto solution for small sub 100BHP city cars. Semi autos and CVT's exist but are still not that common.

I have no idea what "ROW" means but if I am right about it ill take it :)

Just a bit of thread creep. Can you put a M3 in Neutral whilst driving.. I've tried and can't. But the loaner MS was easy to.

You can if you're going very slowly I do it to get out of my garage backwards - wouldn't want to try it while moving at speed - although I've hit the stick up a few times instead of down when trying to engage TACC and it just beeps at me so I'm inclined to think no.

So I wanted to leave it a good amount of time to evaluate the car, try the proposed fixes mentioned here and see how it fared.

In that time we've noticed the following:
- The car never has a full solid grey bar...no matter how long we've driven (1hr+ journeys) or how warm the car is. There are always grey dots on the left hand side. The fewest we've had are 4 grey dots.

- we do get a green line moving from the centre to left when braking indicating that some energy is delivered back to the battery but it is typically very short. Picture attached is a screenshot of a video I took whilst driving. This is probably the longest green lines we get and again there are still the dots showing limited regen on the left (you'll have to zoom in). This was taken after driving around 40 mins yesterday.

- Recently when travelling at faster speeds and needing to brake suddenly it feels as if the brake pedal itself is sluggish. By that I mean even when slamming your foot down it drags forward alot - much longer than I've experienced driving in any other car. Not sure if this is regen related or not...or if it means I just need to drive slower lol.

All other proposed fixes in terms of playing with the profiles etc didn't work unfortunately.

Attachments

• IMG_5542.PNG
    IMG_5542.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 47