Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3 owner- Nema 6-30 adaptor extension cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New M3 owner here and just wanted to give thanks to EVSE Adaptors for sending out my NEMA 6-30 adaptor Gen 2 adaptor super fast. 1 day!

Shipping was super fast and the adaptor charges like a dream. Have had it for about 1 month and I don’t know what I may have done without it.

I am getting 23mph on the adaptor. The adaptor is well made and their customer service was great even reaching out to me as fast as they could regarding the adaptor. I plan on getting the extension cord but haven’t seen to many posts about it. Anyone have any input on running the NEMA 6-30 extension cord to our Gen 2 Tesla Chargers?

Thanks

Reactions: Rocky_H
As long as the extension cord is well made, I don't see why it wouldn't work. We briefly used a 6-50 extension cord while waiting for a good time to install the wiring at a better location. Worked fine.

I would add that no extension cord is a good idea for daily charging. If this is going to be your every day solution, better to move the outlet to where you can use it without an extension. You can use the current outlet box as a junction box, and run the proper wire from there to the new location. If that's not practical, then consider running a new circuit altogether.

Just need a few more feet to be able to park my Tesla on either side of my 3 car garage. My outlet is dead smack in the middle of my garage. I probably will order it and use it in a jic scenario. Thank you both for your input. Appreciate it.

I have been looking for a way to get a charge while I'm at my step son's house.
He has a panel in his garage but there are no slots available to put in a full time connection.
He does have a 6-30 set up for his garage heater.

The plug is 6-30 and the breaker is 30 amp.

Telsa does not seem to sell a 6-30 adapter for the mobile charger.
Would this adapter from EVSEadapter work ok?

I would need to run this on an extension cord

This would only be used for the visits every month or 2.
Mainly concerned about the winter as his house would just be on the limit of the cars range and there is no super charger in the area yet.

Any comments on this set up?

I have been looking for a way to get a charge while I'm at my step son's house.
He has a panel in his garage but there are no slots available to put in a full time connection.
He does have a 6-30 set up for his garage heater.

The plug is 6-30 and the breaker is 30 amp.

Telsa does not seem to sell a 6-30 adapter for the mobile charger.
Would this adapter from EVSEadapter work ok?

I would need to run this on an extension cord

This would only be used for the visits every month or 2.
Mainly concerned about the winter as his house would just be on the limit of the cars range and there is no super charger in the area yet.

Any comments on this set up?

I purchased the NEMA 6-30 from EVSE and it is well built. There is a big print that says it’s made in China. For what it is, I have not have any issues so far with the adaptor. It fits well into the type 2 charger and the prongs feel sturdy. I haven’t gotten the extension cord as of yet. Just had to make some strategic moves in my garage to make it work without the extension. Max load is 24a that comes out of the charger when charging @23mph 99% of the time. Once in a blue moon it will go down to 22mph. Happened only 1 time then after a min jumped back to 23mph. Take the plunge and you won’t regret getting the 6-30 from EVSE. Let me know how the extension works out for you if you get it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Randy-12
I was thinking of that as well but I also need the extension so it would just be adding a possible failure
Agreed on the failure points. I see the price went back to 85. I was able to score it when it was still 49. Still a great investment considering the price for the other adaptors. Wouldn’t even think twice about grabbing it at 85 if I were to do it all over again.

Reactions: Randy-12
Wondering about something.

I’ve seen a few posts that say you can use a NEMA 14-50 adapter along with a 14-50 extension with a 14-50R to 6-30P pigtail.
The tell the car the max amps is 24.

Other threads say not to as the car will want to charge based on the NEMA 14-50 adapter at the max amps. They say not to depend on the car to limit the amp pull. To use a full 6-30 set up (or what ever the plug set up you have).

Which is true? Am I safe for temporary use of 14-50 with the pigtail?

I’ve seen a few posts that say you can use a NEMA 14-50 adapter along with a 14-50 extension with a 14-50R to 6-30P pigtail.

Other threads say not to as the car will want to charge based on the NEMA 14-50 adapter at the max amps. They say not to depend on the car to limit the amp pull. To use a full 6-30 set up (or what ever the plug set up you have).

As long as it's temporary, like when visiting relatives or your vacation cabin, I say it's fine. You can check to make sure the amperage limit takes effect each time you plug in. As soon as someone says they want to use the lashup as a regular charging solution, I then advise they spend the extra money to wire the circuit properly rather than depend on an extension cord or manually setting the amperage.

The problem comes from two things. One, the car is pretty good about remembering the amperage limit for a location, but it's not perfect. Sometimes you can find the car ignoring/forgetting the limit when you least expect it. Two, using an extension introduces extra connections, which are always potential sources of trouble.

On a side note, just having the car far enough from your EVSE that you have to coil and uncoil the regular cable every day can be a bit of a pain, regularly dealing with an extra 25-50ft of extension cord would be much worse, and leaving it in place creates tripping hazards and other opportunities to damage it....and is damned ugly.

• Love

The current draw is limited by the chip in the short adapter cable that plugs into your mobile charge connector body. The Tesla and EVSEadapters adapter cables are correctly set up to limit current to no more than 80% of the maximum rating of the outlet type it plugs into. So as long as you are using a NEMA 6-30p adapter that plugs directly into your mobile charge connector, no more than 24 amps will be drawn (that's 80% of the max 30 amp rating of the outlet).

The scenario you described uses a 14-50 mobile charge connector adapter, which allows up to 40 amps (actually even less at 32 amps on the gen 2 mobile charge connector). That is higher than safe to draw from a NEMA 6-30r outlet. You would be relying on limiting the current draw from the car's charging screen, which is not the best idea.

• Helpful