Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW M3 showing only 310 vs 322

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you, very helpful. I suspect all the areas you suggest must have made an impact on the range. I will test without some on and look for dots.

Do you know how to change the range to percentage?

yup. Go into the display settings and scroll down. Select "Energy"... personally, I have found that switching this over to Energy has given me less range anxiety than watching the miles click down. May just be me.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Mine did the exact same thing

Along the same lines, I got my stealth model 3 two weeks ago and my 100% went from 310 to 299 after the Christmas update. Is that expected degradation?

Hey guys, also have the Model 3 Stealth Performance. I'm just under 2 weeks old and less than 500 miles so brand new cars so no battery degration that everyone likes to mention. I started with 310 miles range my first week but also noticed that it has slowly gone down and currently at 298. Again this is 3.9% in less than 2 weeks and under 500 miles. Any ideas why this might be? I also got the latest 2019.40.50.1 update Christmas Eve.

Image of Battery Health from Tesla Stats App.

If Ssmtsx or shadowwolfy you guys find out anything please let me know

Attachments

• Image-1.png
    Image-1.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 86
I think it’s apparent at this point the miles remaining indicator is not accurate.(reference the zillion threads on the subject). Use the energy app. Switch to % and enjoy the car.

I personally would not recommend using % on the battery meter, because we all drive miles (or KM), not percentages. So I would recommend getting a feel for how to convert those 'battery range miles' (aka 'EPA rated miles') to actual miles for your particular driving situation. For example, at this time of year our M3 LR AWD averages about 73% of 'rated miles', so if my battery meter says 200 miles, I know that a conservative estimate is 0.7 * 200 = 140 miles remaining.

There are several ways to get a feel for your efficiency (actual miles/battery rated miles). You can manually record the actual miles and battery range difference at the end of each trip. Or you can use teslafi.com, which will cost you about $5/m, but sure makes the bookkeeping easier, and makes it very obviously what your car is doing energy-wise.

Hey guys, also have the Model 3 Stealth Performance. I'm just under 2 weeks old and less than 500 miles so brand new cars so no battery degration that everyone likes to mention. I started with 310 miles range my first week but also noticed that it has slowly gone down and currently at 298. Again this is 3.9% in less than 2 weeks and under 500 miles. Any ideas why this might be? I also got the latest 2019.40.50.1 update Christmas Eve.

Image of Battery Health from Tesla Stats App.

If Ssmtsx or shadowwolfy you guys find out anything please let me know
Post your driving efficiency vs other drivers graph (3rd tab) as well as driving efficiency vs odometer averaged over 50 miles.

FWIW - my mileage at 90% when I got my car at 14 miles was 279. 1700 miles later and after the 50.1 update my mile range at 90% in now 282.

Last edited:
I believe the 322 miles was for the LR RWD.

Actually, that's exactly what Tesla is quoting right now for the LR AWD. It recently jumped from 310 to 322 on the website, (along with an increase for the SR+ from 240 to 250.) I've got absolutely no idea what those increased numbers are based on, as I can't find anyone yet that's seen such a jump on the LR AWD.

My 9 month old LR AWD still tops out at about 308mi, so I'm still on the "310 max" programme.

Post your driving efficiency vs other drivers graph (3rd tab) as well as driving efficiency vs odometer averaged over 50 miles.

FWIW - my mileage at 90% when I got my car at 14 miles was 279. 1700 miles later and after the 50.1 update my mile range at 90% in now 282.

QS01 thanks I haven’t quite figured out all the graphs and metrics yet. So I attached the two you mentioned here. For the third tab it is Justin’s Tesla at 86% not the other one which is a 2017 Model X.

additionally I added the first tab. So this is where I see 298 in the Rated Range. Before it was 310 just last week when I got the car. So I understand estimated range on the left is dependent on my driving (ie. Rush hour in NY) so I know this will always be less. But my concern is the Rated range dropping to 298.

Attachments

• 8E9A2906-A4DA-4042-B5FA-2250719E0662.jpeg
    8E9A2906-A4DA-4042-B5FA-2250719E0662.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 80BFD15F-45DB-408E-A797-02E680AC1034.jpeg
    80BFD15F-45DB-408E-A797-02E680AC1034.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 50
  • A25629AE-3FDE-4C49-9FFC-0773F12A68A2.jpeg
    A25629AE-3FDE-4C49-9FFC-0773F12A68A2.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 62
I also got Model 3 Stealth Performance a few days ago, has 51 miles on it. and the range it shows is 298mile at 100% charge.

thanks EV-Dhanno. I’m also under 500 miles and see the same thing. I think the conclusion is the holiday update caused the Model 3 Stealth performance to drop from 310 to 298 for sure. I hope they fix this with the next update!

QS01 thanks I haven’t quite figured out all the graphs and metrics yet. So I attached the two you mentioned here. For the third tab it is Justin’s Tesla at 86% not the other one which is a 2017 Model X.

additionally I added the first tab. So this is where I see 298 in the Rated Range. Before it was 310 just last week when I got the car. So I understand estimated range on the left is dependent on my driving (ie. Rush hour in NY) so I know this will always be less. But my concern is the Rated range dropping to 298.

My thoughts - after looking at your graphs compared with o what I see in mine is that there is some type of algorithm that’s slightly changing the rates range based on driving habits. It looks like you’ve had a number of really low / inefficient drives (wethers that because of super cold weather — or a pretty heavy lead foot). Keep in mind it take a HUGE energy draw when you smash the pedal to the floor. If you look at the cars real-time energy graphs you’ll see it spike to 900wh/mile as opposed to a normal draw of 225-250 wh/mile.

On the contrary, my driving efficiency va other drives has me at 102% efficient (meaning I’m getting about 2% more miles out of a charge)..

565E1F59-7D22-4D19-87A4-1E322FE55326.jpeg
674A1FF8-D14D-4001-BAB6-8FAEBCFFF76D.jpeg

My thoughts - after looking at your graphs compared with o what I see in mine is that there is some type of algorithm that’s slightly changing the rates range based on driving habits. It looks like you’ve had a number of really low / inefficient drives (wethers that because of super cold weather — or a pretty heavy lead foot). Keep in mind it take a HUGE energy draw when you smash the pedal to the floor. If you look at the cars real-time energy graphs you’ll see it spike to 900wh/mile as opposed to a normal draw of 225-250 wh/mile.

On the contrary, my driving efficiency va other drives has me at 102% efficient (meaning I’m getting about 2% more miles out of a charge)..

View attachment 493997 View attachment 493998

Thanks QS01. It’s mostly due to NY weather so far and also rush hour traffic. 1 hr commute for <20 miles. But after all the replies I see the latest update has definitely dropped the Rated Range from 310 to 298 for Model 3 Stealth Performance owners. We just have to wait for another update to hopefully fix that. Hopefully an official response or notice from Tesla soon about this too.

Thanks QS01. It’s mostly due to NY weather so far and also rush hour traffic. 1 hr commute for <20 miles. But after all the replies I see the latest update has definitely dropped the Rated Range from 310 to 298 for Model 3 Stealth Performance owners. We just have to wait for another update to hopefully fix that. Hopefully an official response or notice from Tesla soon about this too.

I’m a M3 stealth and my range at 90% went from 279 to 282. So not sure I agree with it being the update - certainly not my experience anyway.

also rush hour traffic will have very little effect on the battery - unless your having to run the cabin heater or seat heaters. Slower speed are exponentially more efficient.

A test was done a while back and a couple guys drove 606 miles on a single charge at 25 mph.

• Funny
Reactions: wcfree
Hi M3P 20 inch wheel. I average 420 wh mile, 10 degrees Celsius 75mph with autopilot. I can achieve 250 wh mile at 40 mph or so but no chance at motorway speeds. I guess this is OK but miles off 320 mile range.

Hi M3P 20 inch wheel. I average 420 wh mile, 10 degrees Celsius 75mph with autopilot. I can achieve 250 wh mile at 40 mph or so but no chance at motorway speeds. I guess this is OK but miles off 320 mile range.

M3P isn’t rated at 320 it’s rated at 310. 10 degree C you’ll also take a bit of a hit on range due to colder weather. Are you also running with the cabin heater and/or seat heaters on? 420wh/mile sounds high to me - but I’m a P3D- so I don’t have to deal with the 20in tires.

310, 320, sort of irrelevant when you are talking more like 170. The actual wltp figure from Tesla is 329 for performance model. The air is at 19 degrees with no seats on. It is what it is and I cant change it, I went EV to make the air cleaner and to set an example, so there's no going back but the range on EV is limited in the real world and I am a savvy car enthusiast so know what is achievable. That's my 2 cents worth.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200105-215255_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200105-215255_Chrome.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 45
310, 320, sort of irrelevant when you are talking more like 170. The actual wltp figure from Tesla is 329 for performance model. The air is at 19 degrees with no seats on. It is what it is and I cant change it, I went EV to make the air cleaner and to set an example, so there's no going back but the range on EV is limited in the real world and I am a savvy car enthusiast so know what is achievable. That's my 2 cents worth.

man average of 420wh/mi at 75mph still seems extremely high to me. My average Wh/mi over the last 140 miles between 50 and 55 degree F is 248. <shrug>

I personally would not recommend using % on the battery meter, because we all drive miles (or KM), not percentages.
This is not a good recommendation.

Use % instead of miles because miles can leave you with a dead car.

On your trip, use the Energy Graph in the Charging menu to view your PROJECTED mileage which is based on your current average consumption.

Miles display will lie to you since that is calculated based on the EPA efficiency and not the efficiency at which you are currently driving. It matters because efficiency can be 20% worse in cold or wet/windy weather.