Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3 with only 6mm of tire tread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Neilwilko

Aug 25, 2021
Uk
I do a lot of miles so wanted to monitor tire wear so I measured the new MiC Michelin pilot tires which were just 6mm tread rather than the new 7-8mm from past tires on my MiC LR

I’m wondering what other people got fitted from new

I’m starting to think this is a way to get noise down and hit higher range figures by fitting low tread/low rolling resistance tyres from new. As long as they all come out the factory like that they can bump up the figures which people buy product on.

interesting to know how the Speedo calibration works with deeper tread tires in future. Maybe the outer diameter is the same so it doesn’t matter?

I’m interested to see if the aftermarket replacements of the same tire are deeper treads?

I have a June 2021 MiC SR and part of a service centre visit yesterday they did a "courtesy inspection" which involved checking tread depth.

Tread depth
Front Driver Outer: 6.4
Front Driver Middle: 6.4
Front Driver Inner: 5.9
Front Passenger Outer: 5.7
Front Passenger Middle: 6.2
Front Passenger Inner: 6.0
Back Driver Outer: 5.3
Back Driver Middle: 5.7
Back Driver Inner: 5.3
Back Passenger Outer: 5.4
Back Passenger Middle: 5.2
Back Passenger Inner: 5.7
Wheel Diameter: 0

It's a SR so real wheel drive. I think this means more wear on the rear wheels, so I would guess it started with ~6mm.

This post, 18 inch tyre rotation suggested new tyres are 8mm but I wouldn't expect to see 8mm down to 5.2 in some places within 2 months?

I have a June 2021 MiC SR and part of a service centre visit yesterday they did a "courtesy inspection" which involved checking tread depth.

It's a SR so real wheel drive. I think this means more wear on the rear wheels, so I would guess it started with ~6mm.

This post, 18 inch tyre rotation suggested new tyres are 8mm but I wouldn't expect to see 8mm down to 5.2 in some places within 2 months?
I would be amazed if you evaporated 3mm of tyres in 2 months!

sounds like they are also 6ish from new and on rear wheel drive it eats rears from new Tesla fun acceleration.

so far in 3 months and 5000 miles on motorway I can’t measure any wear yet