Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3AWD. Chat rep told me HW3 installed, but is currently buggy.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife took delivery of her M3 AWD 19" red/black FSD yesterday. So far... awesome! With driver and 4 adult passengers, the acceleration was stunning. Everything else is great, so far.

But, the nav was stuck, with my "self" arrow showing at the service center. I used the phone app to enter a chat with Tesla tech support. I was 4th in the queue, and about 10 minutes later, Heidi told me to soft reboot the screen and move the car 10 feet. It worked!

I then asked her how long the car needed to calibrate before FSD became active. (A little steering wheel encircled by a bar graph is slowly "filling up.") She said it could be up to 100 miles. But, she then said, she could see I had the new HW3 chip, which was experiencing some technical issues, currently, implying that even after 100 miles, FSD may still not work. Tesla is working hard on a patch to push out as soon as possible blah blah.

I had guests over and couldn't keep chatting, so I guess I'll wait and see what happens
20190425_193748.jpg
after 100 miles.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
First, just to be clear it is the autopilot calibration that isn't working as FSD isn't released yet.

Your issue is you need a firmware update. I picked up my car earlier this week and the same thing happened where it was stuck at 0% and not calibrating. After researching and finding some other people with the same issues online they said to try a software update and sure enough that worked.

My version was 2019.7.102 and I had 2019.7.105 waiting for me to install and that fixed my issue with the calibration. Others have had luck by having service re-push the same 2019.7.102 update back to their car and having it fix the problem. Unfortunately when I first called and tried to get it fixed everyone seemed clueless and the only info I was able to find was people online to say do the update which worked.

I'm happy to have the new HW3 but it would be nice if there was a little more quality control coming out of the factory with stuff like this.

Oops. You're right. I meant the mode where she keeps her lane, executes lane changes, and cruises unassisted. Still learning the lingo.

When delivered, she was waiting for a software update, and 2019.7.105 downloaded and installed in half an hour.

By the way, we haven't settled on her name. My wife likes "Big Red" after the "Bring It On" character, but I'm pushing for "Joule-on Rouge."

Reactions: GWord
Yeah I wasn't criticizing or anything I was just making sure OP was aware FSD wasn't officially released yet to clarify. It is indeed confusing with the lingo and how there's multiple definitions of what Autopilot and FSD are supposed to be.

And yes congrats on the car :) I love mine ever since I got the autopilot fixed.

Reactions: F14Scott
I picked up my M3 AWD earlier this week. Had 2019.7.102 and the exact same problem with GPS failing to update on my first drive. Once i updated to 7.105, everything was fine, though functionally, the update is a bit behind the functionality that HW2.5 are getting.

I picked up my M3 AWD earlier this week. Had 2019.7.102 and the exact same problem with GPS failing to update on my first drive. Once i updated to 7.105, everything was fine, though functionally, the update is a bit behind the functionality that HW2.5 are getting.
Yeah that part is annoying that the software is a bit behind. I was looking forward to having Sentry mode but this version doesn't have it yet. But I am not complaining because given the choice I'd rather have the HW3 and wait for the updated software because I imagine there is going to be a long wait for existing owners to get their cars upgraded from 2.5 to 3 when it is time as everyone will be trying to do it at the same time.

Oops. You're right. I meant the mode where she keeps her lane, executes lane changes, and cruises unassisted. Still learning the lingo.

When delivered, she was waiting for a software update, and 2019.7.105 downloaded and installed in half an hour.

By the way, we haven't settled on her name. My wife likes "Big Red" after the "Bring It On" character, but I'm pushing for "Joule-on Rouge."

Actually, you were correct. “FSD” now includes those features (some moved from EAP, which is no longer available). FSD currently includes some self-driving features, although ultimate full self-driving is not yet available.

From the Tesla order-building site:

Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:
  • Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.

• Informative
Actually, you were correct. “FSD” now includes those features (some moved from EAP, which is no longer available). FSD currently includes some self-driving features, although ultimate full self-driving is not yet available.

• Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
Coming later this year:

I think the point some of us are trying to make is how Tesla has (re)defined what FSD means...

without creating a new thread, and after searching and still being confused, can someone help me understand AP1 vs AP2 vs FSD. It was my understanding the 2016 cars rolled out AP1, Nvidia chip, and a smaller number of cameras. Then in 2017 AP2 came out, using a Tesla chip, with more cameras, which is why it is upgradeable to FSD, and AP1 is not, since you can't add cameras to the car.

What is throwing me off is as I search used models on the Tesla site, there are filters for "autopilot" and "enhanced autopilot," I assumed that was AP1 vs AP2. However, cars as old as 2014 show "Autopilot?" Also, when at the Tesla store this week, one of their reps (who candidly, don't seem overly knowledgeable, which stunned me given the Tesla story is so unique and they NEED knowledgeable sales people), said AP2 is actually cut in two categories, level 1 AP2 which was $3k, and level 2 AP2 which was $5k (plus FSD charges). I know Tesla (which I hate) has shifted options and prices around rather erratically, so wanted to fully understand things. In short, how do you know searching used if a car has AP2 or AP1?

Coming later this year:

I stand corrected then, OP was correct with using FSD based on that and I guess my terminology was out of date based on the redefinition of the term. That being said I don't think anyone really considers the current version FSD as it is missing many features.