Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3LR delivered - some questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Yesterday my M3LR arrived, brilliant but are my expectations too high or is this something you would log with Tesla? (if the latter how?)

1) How can the right side of the screen show battery % and estimated miles? It's clunky to keep switching between them on the driving menu.
2) Small amount of water in the frunk, normal? I presume I need to purchase an after market liner?
3) Lots of white spots on the paint work, mainly around joins and hinges, they do rub off with a damp cloth, but I would expect this removed before it's delivered!
4) Rear boot liner (sudo carpety type thing) feels loose, I can push it down and it rebounds up a little.
5) White marks on the driver side and rear drive pax door pockets.
6) White marks on both rear parcel shelf speakers
7) Water on the rear boot seal, not in the boot, but is not expect to see water in the grove between two seals
8) Random white thing between two panels in the car, too firm to pull out, about the length of a cotton bud and the width of 3 of them.
9) Telsa badge on the frunk has bit of sticker/plastic covering still attached, does not easily come off.
10) Edge of bonnet where it joins the windscreen and side panel the plastic/rubber join is open, i'd expect it flush to the body work.
11) More white marks around the bonnet edge
12) Rear bumper fitting around light cluster does not look flush to the light cluster
13) How do I get the car to show the front camera? Pressing the "eye" on the right side only brings up the rear and 2 of the side cameras.

Am I being a grumpy Yorkshire man or are (some) valid?

On a side note I have TelsaMate up and running, that's great!

Thanks

sounds like most of these white marks are leftover residue from polishing and good pressure wash cleaning and wipe with microfibre should get rid of them albeit Tesla should have done this before handover. If you are a bit upset tell them and they will detail it again (properly)

1) How can the right side of the screen show battery % and estimated miles?

Its not really estimated miles as its based upon a fixed calculation that does not vary with anything like temperature, speed, hvac controls, driving style etc etc.

If you want estimated miles, use the energy graph and ideally set a nav route and use the trip mode of the energy graph.

The consequences of mis-interpreting the 'estimated miles' Unpleasant Experience nearly running out of charge on M6

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W.
20200820_131725.jpg
Weird White thing
20200820_131741.jpg
Boot liner poor fit
20200820_131751.jpg
Water inbetween a single seal
20200820_131841.jpg
White marks in two door pockets
20200820_132013.jpg
Tesla front badge
20200820_132033.jpg
Fit around windscreen and bonnet
20200820_132049.jpg
Opp side windscreen and bonnet fit
20200820_132053.jpg
As above
20200820_132119.jpg
White spots in any hard to clean area
20200820_132218(0).jpg

Wide gap between front and rear door or just me?

I think in terms of fit/finish it’s pretty standard (I’m sure my bonnet looks similar) but if you’re struggling to get the marks off then yeah book everything in for a service.

I added what I thought was a serious scratch to the glass (turned out to be glue) and a tiny blue mark on a brake disc. They looked over everything and fixed/cleaned where needed without any fuss. The guys at Leeds are really helpful - if you’re close enough to the SC don’t worry about wasting their time or anything.

It is sad they deliver new cars like this. IMO Some things to live with. Some cleaning to do- for the exterior glue I used white spirit (it worked fine but do so at your own risk). Some bits to report- water in frunk/trunk could be just from cleaning with said door open or could be adjustment/alignment.

Really? It looks really shabby.
It does, but sadly not atypical for Tesla.

OP - The photos show pretty standard stuff to be honest. A lot of it is poor/non-existent PDI. Sticker residue can be removed with some mild cleaning and elbow grease,

This is what my door card looked like when the car was delivered to me:

AFCD88C3-66E6-475C-9E40-04C6E6CEAE28.jpeg

Panel gaps are another Tesla thing. The bonnet can be adjusted fairly easily but getting it perfect is nigh on impossible. I flagged my alignment being offset to one side by a couple of mm and when I picked the car up it was even worse. I ended up fixing it myself, again - before and after:

58E7B715-4BB1-4D29-A964-EB38015C98C9.jpegD0F50717-36D1-4F7D-A152-3B792B02BA5B.jpeg

I’ve currently got an open service request to get a wheel (water spots under the lacquer on delivery) and one or both of my rear tail lights (condensation) replaced. Oh and hopefully those two rubber things that are in your photo that aren’t flush with the body, and catch the bonnet when you lift it.

3996AD70-D3BA-4162-AC41-DC50680D5210.jpeg CD43DF6C-C1FD-447F-93C4-DEE852B94382.jpeg 0FFACD66-A3BE-4180-AE76-E1D80487E36F.jpeg

if it’s any consolation, your car doesn’t look remarkably bad. This is the reality of Tesla ownership, unfortunately. The only saving grace is that we’re all in the same boat.

It does, but sadly not atypical for Tesla.

This is the reality of Tesla ownership, unfortunately.

I'm not sure I'd be happy with this. I'm actually getting nervous about delivery day. If the car is that poorly built I might have to reject it. It would be sad as I'm looking forward to getting it bit I don't really want to accept an inferior product. We shall see

A lot of it can be resolved. Some of it is just sloppy. I got rid of the sticker residue myself with some elbow grease, but Tesla were more than happy to tackle it. I don’t have any complaints about the aftersales service.

The key thing is not to expect German marque precision. Tesla are imo very much of the early 2000s Ferrari where you pay for the engine and the rest of the car comes for free.

• Informative
Reactions: Dougall1248
A lot of it can be resolved. Some of it is just sloppy. I got rid of the sticker residue myself with some elbow grease, but Tesla were more than happy to tackle it.

The key thing is not to expect German marque precision. Tesla are imo very much of the early 2000s Ferrari where you pay for the engine and the rest of the car comes for free.
I guess I didn't realise how bad it was. I know they weren't quite up to standard but saying some of those pictures has given me pause. White spots and the sticky badge I can accept. It's seeing something I expect to hurtle along at 70 mph in not properly screwed together that gives me pause. I'm not sure how many defects you can accept in such an expensive car

@Neilio I should’ve been a bit clearer on my comment, from what I’ve seen there are usually these kind of issues with cars on delivery but they’re usually pretty good at rectifying them at a SC.

It seems to be down to the sheer number of cars they’re delivering and a lack of quality control/checking before collection.

Reactions: Neilio
I'm not sure I'd be happy with this. I'm actually getting nervous about delivery day. If the car is that poorly built I might have to reject it. It would be sad as I'm looking forward to getting it bit I don't really want to accept an inferior product. We shall see

If it is of any help to reduce your nervousness, mine was great. A few marks on the bumper noted during pickup day were polished out quickly by the girl handing the car over.
What may have helped was that I picked the car up during a reasonably quiet period before March as I wasn't bothered about the 20 plate.

Doesn't make any difference to the build quality though and you just have to hope you don't get a "Friday" car.

The saving grace is that its not just a car, its a bloody big boys toy! :)

Reactions: JS77 and M3-Newbie
Thanks everyone for their opinions and experiences, I will log some of the issues with Tesla, mainly because I expect better and if you don't tell Tesla they won't see the need to improve.
It's a great car and it just needs that extra bit of QC to move it up a notch.

Now SoC... Keeping topped up to 90% OK or will it ruin the battery? It appears no hard and fast rule other than only charge to a 100% for a long trip.

Thanks