Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3LR loud fan noise when Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your LR can charge at higher rates creating higher battery temps, than the SR. So yeah, prolly some more battery cooling going on.

The SR+ supercharges at the same speed as the LR. There's no difference when adjusted for battery size.

We switched from our 2019 SR+ to a new LR last week. We notice loud fan noise when Supercharging, we never got this our SR+. Is this normal? Thanks.

My car sounds like a jetliner when supercharging until about 60% or so. completely normal. It's the equivalent of the V8 revving. haha

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi and brulaz
The SR+ supercharges at the same speed as the LR. There's no difference when adjusted for battery size.
I don't know what you mean by "when adjusted for battery size". Do you mean it takes the same amount of time to charge an SR+ or an LR? That sounds about right to me. However, you get more mph with the LR and the power the car gets from the supercharger is also significantly higher in a LR (250 kW vs 170 kW).

Given these numbers I find it misleading to say they charge at the same speed just because it takes about the same time to reach a certain SoC.

What is relevant in regards to OPs question is that a LR pulls much more power at least from a V3 supercharger. This does lead to more heat that needs to be dissipated, thus the louder fan noise.

Last edited:
I don't know what you mean by "when adjusted for battery size". Do you mean it takes the same amount of time to charge an SR+ or an LR? That sounds about right to me. However, you get more mph with the LR and the power the car gets from the supercharger is also significantly higher in a LR (250 kW vs 170 kW).

Given these numbers I find it misleading to say they charge at the same speed just because it takes about the same time to reach a certain SoC.

What is relevant in regards to OPs question is that a LR pulls much more power at least from a V3 supercharger. Thos does lead to more heat that needs to be dissipated, thus the louder fan noise.

no its not. The LR might charge at 250kw but it has a significantly larger battery. For the newer LR models they actually charge slower compared to their battery size. The SR+ tops out at 170kw for a 55kwh battery, the LR tops out at 250kw for a 78 kwh battery which is actually less c charge rate than the SR+.

the LR may generate a bit more total heat than the SR+ but I doubt that this is the deciding factor in how much louder the car is.

Just piggy-backing on this thread a bit to confirm. We pulled into the driveway from a short errand (no supercharger involved) and I heard a really loud fan noise -that drowned out the pedestrian warning/spaceship sound. So would this would be mainly due to the high 95+ temps?

no this is the AC staying on to dry the filter and prevent stinky AC syndrome.
The batteries arent actively cooled until they hit ... 45 or 50C cant remember. Which doesnt really happen.

Thanks. The fan noise was also loud this morning (not as loud as yesterday) when my pulled out of the driveway to go to work. There's no way I would have missed that sound before. I know there's the regular pump (low buzzing) at night prior to deep-sleeping but this is definitely a fan sound.