Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3LR on 2020.47.101 like UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On software updates- I’m on 2020.47.101 that came installed on the vehicle from the factory recently. I really like the UI- however the newer updates changed the UI- the vehicle animation is oriented horizontally instead of vertically and the Nav screen is smaller. My understanding is all 2021 updates are minor below the hood fixes. I see 2021.4.10 ready to be pushed to the vehicle but have not yet accepted it- prefer to wait for the next significant update or Version 11 when hopefully they will improve the look and feel of the UI. Do you know if at some point it becomes mandatory to take the update. Are there any safety issues with running a relatively recent but not current version on the vehicle?

Yep, a lot of people hate the new UI. I am still holding on the old one as well for now. I hope they fix this, but fear they will not. OTA updates are great, until they change it in a way you don't like and you realize there is nothing much you can do about it. Then they really really suck. Tesla claims you need to install all software updates offered or you might get denied warranty service. I think that might only really be enforceable if the old firmware was causing some damage like the old MCU eMMC issue, but good luck fighting them on that. I am just taking my chances for now to avoid this trash UI.

Yep, a lot of people hate the new UI. I am still holding on the old one as well for now. I hope they fix this, but fear they will not. OTA updates are great, until they change it in a way you don't like and you realize there is nothing much you can do about it. Then they really really suck. Tesla claims you need to install all software updates offered or you might get denied warranty service. I think that might only really be enforceable if the old firmware was causing some damage like the old MCU eMMC issue, but good luck fighting them on that. I am just taking my chances for now to avoid this trash UI.
Thanks. Do you know if a newer update becomes available it will change to the latest update or do you need to go through each update that is pushed in sequential order. So if V11 becomes available will we have to update multiple times through various updates pushed prior to that or directly to it. Obviously apples and oranges but say on a iPhone if you ignore updates whenever you do update it is to the then latest version. However with Tesla I have no idea.

Thanks. Do you know if a newer update becomes available it will change to the latest update or do you need to go through each update that is pushed in sequential order. So if V11 becomes available will we have to update multiple times through various updates pushed prior to that or directly to it. Obviously apples and oranges but say on a iPhone if you ignore updates whenever you do update it is to the then latest version. However with Tesla I have no idea.
I have never delayed updates like this, so I don't know what the eventual procedure will be. Given the way updates work for other types of devices both scenarios are possible. I know some minor updates can be skipped over(because not all cars get all updates), but probably not all major ones.

Ok. Thanks again. I’m now leaning towards sucking it up and just taking the update. The possible complexity of keeping the old UI for what is realistically not going to be a long time may not be worth the hassle, along with the small possibility that there is a material safety related under the hood fix that is not properly disclosed and which I somehow miss. Also this warranty issue you brought up makes me uneasy.
As a new owner of a Tesla I love the car and have had no issues with the minimalist approach due to the excellent UI. Downgrading the user experience due to a software update is a shame which I’m really surprised Tesla has not fixed. Hopefully they will in the future.

Ok. Thanks again. I’m now leaning towards sucking it up and just taking the update. The possible complexity of keeping the old UI for what is realistically not going to be a long time

Just as annoyed as you are with the new UI. Used to install every update the second it came out and stopped updating completely in December.

So far the car has now downloaded the external fast machine over LTE as I removed my WiFi to prevent the update. Also every time I shift into park I get a nag screen to update at 2:50AM. Once accidentally pressed okay and then it’s no longer possible to undo, except a hard reset of the car.

It’s a personal choice but the few glimpses of the new model X/S interface still make me somehow hopeful a UI revamp IS still a possibility ;)

Reactions: smogne41
Just as annoyed as you are with the new UI. Used to install every update the second it came out and stopped updating completely in December.

So far the car has now downloaded the external fast machine over LTE as I removed my WiFi to prevent the update. Also every time I shift into park I get a nag screen to update at 2:50AM. Once accidentally pressed okay and then it’s no longer possible to undo, except a hard reset of the car.

It’s a personal choice but the few glimpses of the new model X/S interface still make me somehow hopeful a UI revamp IS still a possibility ;)
Personally the new S/X has given me far less confidence in Tesla, even more worrying than the 'holiday update'. I question the UI/UX design abilities of any company that came up with that hot mess. It's like they took the most annoying things about the Model 3/Y driver interface (mainly the lack of full wiper controls on the stalk) and instead of learning from that mistake just doubled down on it by getting rid of the stalks completely. I don't feel comfortable with them managing my center screen interface any longer if that is their design sense, and there is no way in hell I would buy another Tesla right now (if I was in the market). Hopefully they come around in a few years to a more sensible (and driver-centered) design philosophy. If not, I am out.

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I’m responding to my own question on whether you need to sequentially go through newer software updates if you have deliberately not loaded new updates. The answer is no- I noticed the software update ready to be downloaded is now a newer one- 2021.4.11 From the earlier update available.
I also found this link that has a great explanation of the UI screen changes since the large December update.

Personally the new S/X has given me far less confidence in Tesla, even more worrying than the 'holiday update'. I question the UI/UX design abilities of any company that came up with that hot mess. It's like they took the most annoying things about the Model 3/Y driver interface (mainly the lack of full wiper controls on the stalk) and instead of learning from that mistake just doubled down on it by getting rid of the stalks completely. I don't feel comfortable with them managing my center screen interface any longer if that is their design sense, and there is no way in hell I would buy another Tesla right now (if I was in the market). Hopefully they come around in a few years to a more sensible (and driver-centered) design philosophy. If not, I am out.

I second that. I got my car Mar 2020 and pretty much loved everything about it, even as I didn't get to or need to drive much during covid.

Then they rolled out the Christmas update, and I blindly just said yes, because all prior updates were fine. I hate it. I really hate it. So much that it makes me angry every time I get in the car now.

No recourse. No way to flash a prior build. No settings I can change. No customizability at all. Shitty grey-on-grey fonts. Small fonts that are unreadable. That completely retarded car animation now sucking up a full 1/3 of the screen, always. The browser can't use full screen, even when parked. Maps can only use 2/3 screen, even when parked.

Browser runs slower than it did. If you open the user manual, it crashes the MCU and you have to reboot.

The only good part of this is that it demonstrated I cannot trust Tesla, and it broke my infatuation with them. And my next car is definitely not going to be Tesla because I hate walled gardens.

One thing that completely escapes me is the car animations, that they just extended to the S/X refresh UI. That's now taking up 2/3 of the primary display there, and minor details like your speed and range are relegated to an afterthought area on the right.

What is this for? If I'm driving, I don't have time to watch the pretty pictures on the car animation. What the car is seeing is 100% irrelevant to me. It's not actionable info. Why do they consider this information to be so critical that they put it right directly in your face while driving? I don't get it.

My main gripe is that the Nav is too small and the car animation takes too much screen real estate. We were promised a fix that would allow the driver to configure the relative size of these windows, but nothing has come of that 6 months later.

I also notice the browser running slower.