Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3P feels slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of this beauty 2 days ago but after waiting for winter tires I finally got to drive it home yesterday.

While I was waiting overnight for my winter tires to arrive, they gave me a Model Y Performance to drive overnight. That one felt like the reaction videos I have seen, the acceleration was breathtaking.

when I picked up my M3P I just got on the highway and did the long 8 hour drive home...I didn’t really try to push it. When I got to my city I tried to floor it a few times to get that neck snapping feel that the Y had, nothing. It’s very meh. Something is definitely wrong.

- not in valet mode
- not in chill mode

the car is quite dirty after being on the slushy highway for 8 hours...maybe the ultrasonic sensors are blocked. I haven’t tried turning off the object aware acceleration feature but I don’t think that’s it because it is even slow from a rolling start at 25km/h and I don’t think the object aware thing is active at those speeds.

many ideas why it might feel slow?

Attachments

• 81FB37A1-1302-421E-A410-0EDD2771FFF5.jpeg
    81FB37A1-1302-421E-A410-0EDD2771FFF5.jpeg
    636.1 KB · Views: 649
Bingo. Try again at 80-90% and a warm battery and it will be much faster.

Oh wow, I knew that range took a major hit in the cold, didn’t know that performance would be so affected. Good to know. Not like I’ll be ripping it up in the winter anyways, but helps set my mind at ease that nothing is “wrong” with it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Oh wow, I knew that range took a major hit in the cold, didn’t know that performance would be so affected. Good to know. Not like I’ll be ripping it up in the winter anyways, but helps set my mind at ease that nothing is “wrong” with it.

Yea. I heard once that 80F is the ideal operating temperature and I'm gratefully to live where the temperature is in that range year-round.

So the performance will be affected by a cold battery and when it is significantly affected you will see dots on the right side of your "power" bar.

Your low speed acceleration (as long as battery is warm) won't be affected any noticeable until you drop below about 40%.

25% and a battery that probably isn't very warm definitely contributed to your slow acceleration.

% of charge doesn’t have much of an affect on 0-60 times (until it nerfs the power below 10%). ... but anything above 60mph & you can tell an enormous difference when you start getting below 50% charge.

and +1 on the battery temps also making a huge difference

I just took delivery of this beauty 2 days ago but after waiting for winter tires I finally got to drive it home yesterday.

when I picked up my M3P I just got on the highway and did the long 8 hour drive home...I didn’t really try to push it. When I got to my city I tried to floor it a few times to get that neck snapping feel that the Y had, nothing. It’s very meh. Something is definitely wrong.

I notice a decrease in acceleration in the winter with my Michelin X-Ice tires. And this is only with a LR + Acceleration Boost. Just not enough traction for the power. I'm sure this would be even more noticeable with a Performance.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
I notice a decrease in acceleration in the winter with my Michelin X-Ice tires. And this is only with a LR + Acceleration Boost. Just not enough traction for the power. I'm sure this would be even more noticeable with a Performance.

That's interesting. I don't have any traction issues with my Pirelli Sottozero 3s. Possibly because they are performance winter tires.

Yes, they have to protect the battery from hard drains when it's cold or it can cause damage to the cells. My BMW i3 does the same thing when it's super cold out. It also can't charge as quickly when it's cold. That's why these cars have such sophisticated battery temperature management systems. It's all about protecting the cells from the user, lol

Here is the data for an AWD w/Acceleration Boost. You should expect the Performant to follow the same path.

At 90% SoC the Model 3 AWD+ makes an average of 367 kW (492 hp) within the peak power band of 75-125 km/h

At 70% SoC the Model 3 AWD+ makes an average of 355 kW (476 hp) within the peak power band of 71-120 km/h

At 50% SoC the Model 3 AWD+ makes an average of 338 kW (453 hp) within the peak power band of 69-112 km/h

At 30% SoC the Model 3 AWD+ makes an average of 319 kW (428 hp) within the peak power band of 65-105 km/h

At 10% SoC the Model 3 AWD+ makes a peak of 243 kW (326 hp) at 48 km/h, after which it immediately begins to tail off