Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3P Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand the disappointment OP but I don't know why you assume it's a major mechanical failure. I wish I had a firmer ride myself, it's a performance car after all. Longshot but can you find somebody in your local club to look at it with you? Returning a car is a huge hassle and clearly you want a Tesla.

In the interest of time, I'd suggest just showing up and seeing what they can do. Forget booking or calling - just get there. Easier to ask forgiveness than permission sometimes... Worst they can do is say no, but I doubt it. Play it cool, play it friendly but ask that they really, really take a look because you're in this major bind. Play on some heartstrings!
100%.

"Look. I'm still in my return window and I'm nervous. Either tell me what's wrong and tell me you can fix it quickly or I am considering returning it".

Be that as it may someone should be available to explain this to the customer if it is in fact normal.

This is a communication breakdown that will result in a lost sale and bad word of mouth. They need to be better at this.
I agree. Tesla service needs to answer the phone. Are our cars only supposed to have problems at times other than end of quarter?

Tesla’s been around long enough now to get their business model straight and staff appropriately.

I really appreciate the support and encouragement here. Thanks all!

If anyone has a M3P in the south bay area of LA lmk, I'd love to compare ride quality. Drinks or a meal on me!

I'm currently at the Torrance service center. They're being cool and looking at it for me. Will update soon.

Good, I’m pretty sure they will figure out exactly what is going on. And yes, they made time for you. I’m glad they did.

I think those loud thunks are coming from the battery disconnecting or something. It's supposed to be normal based on what I have read online. Here is a repost of it.

"I got curious and did some searching and over on the Tesla.com site going back months there were reports of a thunking sound being heard by owners and most of the time when the car wasn't even moving. The explanation someone was given by service and mentioned by a number of owners was it was from the High Voltage contractors opening and closing. Notably after parking the car or waking it up. Some people however reported hearing the sounds throughout the night (which wouldn't be normal and also reported battery drain). Over the months some people said they noticed it happening after they got a particular software update. I think unless it's constant over hours and draining your battery it's just a normal EV sound.

Here's a few threads I found on the home site if you are interested:
Clunking noise when parked | Tesla
What the ever-living are the knocking noises? | Tesla

There's also this thread on TMC that seems related:
Thunk while supercharging"

Random Thunk While Driving
Great find. That does sound similar to what I'm experiencing. On its own it would be less alarming, but combined with the unusually harsh ride it is more concerning. I pinged that thread to see if anyone ever tracked it down.

Reactions: Punjabi510

If anyone has a M3P in the south bay area of LA lmk, I'd love to compare ride quality. Drinks or a meal on me!

I'm currently at the Torrance service center. They're being cool and looking at it for me. Will update soon.

Awesome, glad they’re being cool about it. I figured they would - some stuff is best done in person. I figured this’d be one of them. Tesla’s full of really great people. Terrible phone system, but great people!

Keep us posted. Wish I had a P3D for you to compare with, but I’m a lowly LR AWD owner, and on the East coast to boot. If you find yourself in NJ, you’re welcome to test drive against my 18s of course! The ride is the primary reason I went LR AWD w/18s instead of the P3D w/ 20s. Those 20” wheels just weren’t attractive to me - too prone to pothole damage and the tires are absolutely no good in the winter ... a non-starter here in NJ!

I understand the disappointment OP but I don't know why you assume it's a major mechanical failure. I wish I had a firmer ride myself, it's a performance car after all. Longshot but can you find somebody in your local club to look at it with you? Returning a car is a huge hassle and clearly you want a Tesla.

100%.

"Look. I'm still in my return window and I'm nervous. Either tell me what's wrong and tell me you can fix it quickly or I am considering returning it".
Yes I want a Tesla. I'd be returning and looking for an inventory m3 lr awd.

Do you commute in yours? These LA roads are pretty nasty.

One of the good things about this board, and one of the reasons I still stick around here, is that, there are a quite a few people here who are helpful, love their teslas, but yet still realistic about the company. I had a feeling (like @dmurphy did) that if you drove down there, they would look into it for you.

I am hopeful you find out that its something simple (the noise). The ride, if its harsh to you, I am not sure what you can do about that. I like the sporty ride like I said. You can likely get some smaller, tires / rims that will have more cushion in the tires, but the suspension itself is tuned "sporty" for the Model 3P.

Let us know what you find out, hope the noise is something simple.

I'd cut Tesla a little slack on end of year service/support this year. The tax credit ends for Tesla this year. It's a one time extreme delivery push, where they are trying to ensure as many people as possible can get the tax credit. If they are still super slow come first/second week of January, then start giving them crap.

Reactions: Magneto3
I had really positive experiences at both Service and Delivery. Whew, finally!

Service

They were able to get the car in and do a visual inspection after about 30 minutes despite not having an appointment - thanks Tesla Torrance! The tech couldn't find anything obviously wrong. We also went for a test drive together and of course the issue didn't reproduce with him in the car. The tech thought the ride quality was normal for these cars. I asked him how much getting 19" rims would improve the ride and he said a very small amount ~5% and that it's mostly from the P suspension tuning. This was overall a positive experience and for whatever reason didnt get any more clunks on the way home.

Delivery

I showed up to learn about my return options. They're happy to take a return, and it turns out a lot of other people are returning their vehicles as well right now (hmm), so they happened to have the replacement vehicle I would want on-site: M3 LR AWD, 19" wheels, white/black. Could pay for FSD now or later, same for the 3k performance upgrade. I have until the 1st to decide, then I'd need to return and exchange on the 2nd. I was very happy with their flexibility and willingness to help me here. I put a $100 hold on the vehicle I would swap with - only downsides is its a 2019 not 2020 model, and its technically used due to having been returned, so I wouldnt get the federal tax credit.

Tesla does seem to have good people at the company, but their IT and customer success/support is still broken and getting ahold of these good people is near impossible - you basically just have to show up.

Will sleep on this decision. I really enjoy the performance and handling of the M3P, but I have a brutal commute from Palos Verdes to Playa Vista and I worry about doing that 30 mile slog on the 20"s every day...likely to get bent rims. I also don't like the white interior on the white exterior, and would have to pay 1-2k to change them.

Thanks for suggesting I just roll into service (and delivery), that really helped.

Service

They were able to get the car in and do a visual inspection after about 30 minutes despite not having an appointment - thanks Tesla Torrance! The tech couldn't find anything obviously wrong. We also went for a test drive together and of course the issue didn't reproduce with him in the car. The tech thought the ride quality was normal for these cars. I asked him how much getting 19" rims would improve the ride and he said a very small amount ~5% and that it's mostly from the P suspension tuning. This was overall a positive experience and for whatever reason didnt get any more clunks on the way home.

Delivery

I showed up to learn about my return options. They're happy to take a return, and it turns out a lot of other people are returning their vehicles as well right now (hmm), so they happened to have the replacement vehicle I would want on-site: M3 LR AWD, 19" wheels, white/black. Could pay for FSD now or later, same for the 3k performance upgrade. I have until the 1st to decide, then I'd need to return and exchange on the 2nd. I was very happy with their flexibility and willingness to help me here. I put a $100 hold on the vehicle I would swap with - only downsides is its a 2019 not 2020 model, and its technically used due to having been returned, so I wouldnt get the federal tax credit.

Tesla does seem to have good people at the company, but their IT and customer success/support is still broken and getting ahold of these good people is near impossible - you basically just have to show up.

Will sleep on this decision. I really enjoy the performance and handling of the M3P, but I have a brutal commute from Palos Verdes to Playa Vista and I worry about doing that 30 mile slog on the 20"s every day...likely to get bent rims. I also don't like the white interior on the white exterior, and would have to pay 1-2k to change them.

Thanks for suggesting I just roll into service (and delivery), that really helped.

Glad the experience today was positive! There really are good people. Maybe some craptastic phone systems and all, but the people are good.

So can I make one suggestion? Maybe consider looking at other 18" rims to help soften the ride a bit? We know the Tesla branded 18" Aero wheels won't fit a P3D, but these babies certainly will: Tesla Model 3 18 ; You could even sell your set of 20s and recoup a majority of the cost.

For the suspension setup, there are 3rd party options there too: MPP Model 3 Comfort Coilovers AWD/Performance

That'd save you from losing the fed tax credit ($1875), preserve the color you want and kinda give you the best of all worlds.

Just a thought! I know it's not ideal, but the 18s vs 20s would help a bunch and could end up being cost neutral if you can sell the 20s....

Glad the experience today was positive! There really are good people. Maybe some craptastic phone systems and all, but the people are good.

So can I make one suggestion? Maybe consider looking at other 18" rims to help soften the ride a bit? We know the Tesla branded 18" Aero wheels won't fit a P3D, but these babies certainly will: Tesla Model 3 18 ; You could even sell your set of 20s and recoup a majority of the cost.

For the suspension setup, there are 3rd party options there too: MPP Model 3 Comfort Coilovers AWD/Performance

That'd save you from losing the fed tax credit ($1875), preserve the color you want and kinda give you the best of all worlds.

Just a thought! I know it's not ideal, but the 18s vs 20s would help a bunch and could end up being cost neutral if you can sell the 20s....
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm hesitant to change the suspension on the M3P, I'd sooner just return and get a LR AWD. I'm also unhappy with the interior white with a white exterior....rather than spend even more money on the top of the line M3P, I'd sooner just downgrade to a LR AWD that is configured the way I want and has better ride quality. As much as I love motorsport, I am not tracking the M3P and the primary function of my car is surviving the brutal LA commute I have.

I do really love the performance of this car, though!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm hesitant to change the suspension on the M3P, I'd sooner just return and get a LR AWD. I'm also unhappy with the interior white with a white exterior....rather than spend even more money on the top of the line M3P, I'd sooner just downgrade to a LR AWD that is configured the way I want and has better ride quality. As much as I love motorsport, I am not tracking the M3P and the primary function of my car is surviving the brutal LA commute I have.

I do really love the performance of this car, though!

Its always difficult to drive a car thats the same model as the one you had, but "slower". My knowledge is pretty BMW centric as I have said before, but there is a reason most people will not go from a BMW 335 to a 328 (or for slightly more modern ones, from a 340 to a 330). You go from the 6 cylinder to the 4 cylinder, and while both are "fast" the 4 cylinder is not as fast as the 6. It kind of doesnt matter how fast it is relative to other cars, only to what you, the owner, are used to.

Anyway, back to tesla. I would suspect that, if you return that model 3P, and swap to an AWD, it will be noticeably slower to you, at least in the beginning. The Tesla AWD model 3 is faster than most other cars, so its not slow... I dont want anyone saying I am saying that its slow. Its just "slower than a model 3 performance" and it looks like the exact same car.

What I think you would really be happy with (but dont know if you could find, especially at this late juncture) is a model 3 Performance without performance pack upgrade, otherwise known in tesla talk as a Model 3P stealth performance. Still keep the power, dont have the wheels or sport suspension. I have no idea how that car rides vs the model 3P with the performance package, as I have the performance package (which for me was mostly about appearance, I like the sporty brakes and tires ).

I think it would be unlikely for you to find a stealth at this late juncture, but since you already have questions about the interior color, you have some thinking ahead. Im happy that the store and delivery center have helped you though.

Like @dmurphy said, when you deal with people at the centers, in general, as long as one is polite to them, they really do want to help. Of course, everyones personal experience differs, because people are people, but I have found tesla to be pretty accomodating in person, both at my delivery center when I took delivery, and at my service center which I have visited 3-4 times this year for various small things.

Let us know what you ultimately decide.

Reactions: holmgang

Service

Delivery

You could also buy some nice aftermarket 18’s. Just a thought.

I hesitate to invest even more cash into a top of the line M3P in the form of wheels/tires and seats. But I'm considering it.

How much would it cost to swap the white interior seats for a set of black seats? Or get the seats reupholstered black?

I hesitate to invest even more cash into a top of the line M3P in the form of wheels/tires and seats. But I'm considering it.

How much would it cost to swap the white interior seats for a set of black seats? Or get the seats reupholstered black?

Sorry, but if you have to ask this is just the wrong car for you. Wrong color, wrong tires, wrong suspension. Just return it and move on.