Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3P Owner - Washing Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my black M3P last week and loving it. At the point of thinking about a wash now.

Lots of different ideas online - but what is the best way to wash? Both yourself and taking it somewhere?

Should I be worried about taking somewhere to be pressure washed?

Thanks

Reactions: Durzel
Well, it depends how OCD you are. It's just a car at the end of the day! There are endless detailing sites out there which will tell you all you might want to know and more.

Personally, I avoid public car washes and always clean it myself, but I don't go crazy. Just a final rinse with Mer and a wipe down with an eCloth, then a Klasse protect every month or so. Mine's white though - black is harder in some ways.

I also never use a pressure washer. As you blast off dirt at high pressure, you just grind it into the top coat.

Last edited:
Personally I would do it myself, wouldn't go to a autowash. If you have a jet wash get a snow foam Lance and a good snow foam do that before 2 bucket method wash (get a good wash mit), with a black car you will always be fighting the swirls so if you can get it clean as before touching the paint that's the best thing. If you need anymore indepth info on what I do let me know, beware detailing is abit of a rabbit hole

Personally I always wash the car myself. Car washes are rarely bothered about minor damage to your paintwork, and it adds up over time.

I go a bit over the top, but my simple recommendations are:

A two-bucket wash with a washing mitt, not a sponge.

Rinse off with a hose if you can, or with buckets of clean water if you can’t.

Dry the car with a fluffy drying towel, at the same time applying something like Autoglym Aquawax as you dry, to give the car a nice shine.

All this should take you about an hour or so.

F969059C-93F1-4D3D-A6AA-F2FBEE162AC7.jpeg

It does depend on your level of OCD

Here's a guide that takes about an hour for a particularly dirty car using snow foam etc. Its often debated about the best way to dry a car to avoid water marks, I use the autoglym approach as it seems to work well, but like many of these things there are as many variations and opinions as there are people on internet forums.

Cleaning a Tesla

One thing most people agree with is if you like your car you won't take it through a car wash machine. The car hand car washes are a little better but I doubt they care for your paint more than you would.

I made the mistake of taking it to my regular jet wash place that I have been using for years. Sadly it took paint off. I now have about 6 paint chips. Tesla of course reckon it's not their problem

So my suggestion. Wash yourself and do gently

I dug out my cleaning gear today as I usually have the detailers clean it. But similar to Roy - 2 bucket with a lamb wools mitt. Recommend a grit guard in your rinse bucket to keep the grit at the bottom. Dry with a folded car drying towel (use it like a squeegy).

If I was washing at home more often I would defo get a snow foam Lance.

My car is ceramic coated so makes cleaning easy, took me 40 minutes today to wash and dry, and it self heals in the sun if I do end up creating any swirls.

IMG_20200327_095317.jpg

IMG_20200328_172547.jpg

My car has full PPF and ceramic coating so I'm not too gentle as it self heals. However I do use the 2 bucket method and a decent washing mitt and drying towel.

For the missus's car I do a bit more. Same 2 bucket method but also a couple of decent waxes per year. Then every month, I use a product called Gyeon Wet Coat. You apply it and rinse off at the end - really good, very easy and beads water for weeks.

I don't do the snow foam thing. Some like it but there's also plenty of stuff online suggesting it doesn't actually do much. Depends how far you want to go but that would be last on my list

What are my options about washing it if I don’t have a space at home to wash it myself?!

the local “hand wash” place was my choice before but not sure...

Wanted to ceramic coat but had some chips in the paint which I’m waiting service to repair :(:( which will now take months! :confused::confused:

You can wash your car on a fiver or £5k. What you spend and to what level you take it is entirely up to you. Personally, I'd only pay someone else to do it if I was minted and could afford the several hundreds required to do a full paint correction detail and ceramic coating.

For me, I have about £500 worth of products (Inc pressure washer) that I've accumulated over time and only pay when I need replacements.

I'm not a detailer nor even a valeter but I do seem to get a bit more obsessive than the average washer. Even more so now that I have a white car...

Detailingworld.com is the place to go but its a rabbit hole; you may find yourself getting hooked and spending a fortune.

Last edited:
You can wash your car on a fiver or £5k. What you spend and to what level you take it is entirely up to you. Personally, I'd only pay someone else to do it if I was minted and could afford the several hundreds required to do a full paint correction detail and ceramic coating.

For me, I have about £500 worth of products (Inc pressure washer) that I've accumulated over time and only pay when I need replacements.

I'm not a detailer nor even a valeter but I do seem to get a bit more obsessive than the average washer. Even more so now that I have a white car...

It’s annoying for myself as I would deffo invest in good quality items and my time.
Unfortunately live in a block of flats and we have an underground car park.
Needless to say you cannot wash your car there not anywhere else on the estate...

so I have to rely on car washes :(

What are my options about washing it if I don’t have a space at home to wash it myself?!

the local “hand wash” place was my choice before but not sure...

Wanted to ceramic coat but had some chips in the paint which I’m waiting service to repair :(:( which will now take months! :confused::confused:
If they’re not too bad you’d probably be best advised to just get some ChipEx and tackle it yourself. You’d probably do just as good a job as the SC if not better, as you’re emotionally invested in the results.

Not what you should have to put up with on a brand new car, but there you go.

Used 2 bucket method, ive got black car, dried with 1200 GSM microfibre towels and yet got slight swirl marks (not really apparent when looking afar, i used my mobile torch up close when it was dark to check). Motherf'a. So then I google 2 bucket method causing swirl marks and found posts saying always rinse your drying towels first. I'm like wtf! Perhaps a key piece of info here? And also people recommneding spot drying, dont drag the microbfibre cloths (obvioulsy by drag i mean light dragging, dont apply too much force!).

So brand new M3P and probly need to get someone to paint correct it? Definitely thinking of PPF now so this stuff will self heal

My car has full PPF and ceramic coating so I'm not too gentle as it self heals. However I do use the 2 bucket method and a decent washing mitt and drying towel.
PPF is the secret to clean and easy, plus resilience. I've used it for years, and notice it has improved over recent years. Ceramic coating may be overkill but I do that too, including wheels. That makes cleaning wheels much easier and both help the car to stay clean. When lived in the UK a quick drive on the M25 in rain saved me a few hours washing.