Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Performance vs. Used Model S P85D+

• M3 P

Votes: 86 72.3%
  • MS P85D+

Votes: 33 27.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P85D with Ludicrous easily does 0-60mph 3.1 seconds without rollout as measured on PowerTools (so I’d assume 2.9 seconds with rollout) at 80% SOC, no warm up or preheating required. Just mash the pedal. Haven’t tested it yet but assume the P3D would do 3.5 seconds without rollout so that’s quite a difference. Don’t think there’s any way a P3D would be quicker than a P85D Ludicrous, all things being equal.

AP1 seems more ballsy when changing lanes but that might be because AP 2.5 is detecting more things in the lanes next to it.

Lol. So true. Lack of side cameras in AP1 means less for the car to see, think, or worry about. ;)

Eventually AP2 will be better but right now on well marked roads, AP1 lane keeping and TACC is bliss. AP1 lane changing requires an attentive driver manually checking blind spots but it works much more reliably and predictably than AP2 lane changing which right now feels like you’re asking a Magic 8 ball for a decision. That plus the phantom breaking makes me prefer AP1 over AP2 at this point.

My P85D with Ludicrous easily does 0-60mph 3.1 seconds without rollout as measured on PowerTools (so I’d assume 2.9 seconds with rollout) at 80% SOC, no warm up or preheating required. Just mash the pedal. Haven’t tested it yet but assume the P3D would do 3.5 seconds without rollout so that’s quite a difference. Don’t think there’s any way a P3D would be quicker than a P85D Ludicrous, all things being equal.

After driving a P85D for couple weeks and test driving the P3D+, I'd choose the P85D hands down if I were to look a vehicle for speeding purposes. The P85D with insane and ludicrous mode are just on a different level than P3D+.

AP 1.0 was not that bad but it does feel like you are driving a boat lol. Also, it uses tons of energy but since you will have unlimited super charger, energy shouldn't be an issue.

At the end of the day, it depends what are your preference. Even thou P85D is way faster than your AWD/RWD/Performance+ M3s, technology wise is a bit behind plus it's a bigger vehicle.

I'm still hesitating if I should trade my RWD M3 for a P3D+ or just wait and buy a P85D instead... even thou I have a good deal on a brand new red P3D+ with all accessories ready.

• Love
Reactions: Sappy02 and P85_DA
The two cars are pretty close and given OP sounds new to Tesla and we should be careful not to talk in absolutes. Guys are recording 0-60 in 3.2s for the P3, which is virtually the same as the P85D. Ludicrous will of course be faster but we are in super car territory as is.

Gotta account for rollout which is ~0.2 seconds. But with rollout Tesla claims:

P3D 3.3 seconds
P85D Insane 3.1 seconds
P85D Ludicrous 2.9 seconds

Agree it’s all in the same ballpark, but having both cars the P85D Ludicrous has that extra punch that is definitely noticeable vs the P3D.

The P85D handles amazing for a car it’s size and is the best of any S made so far. But the smaller car will always be the better handler.

Not necessarily. If I had to do it again and the price were right, I’d choose a P85 over the lot of them. The Ds drive a bit too “chunky” for my liking (S and 3 alike) and the 3 is too low rent, despite having a lot of objectively better interior bits. The oldest S I drove (a P85) felt a lot better screwed together than my bag-of-bolts 3, it was quicker and less jiggly. Compared to the P85D, I found the somewhat slower acceleration of the P85 to be a more than acceptable trade-off, given the better handling, steering feel and much better range (and AP isn’t worth squat to me in its current state).

Not necessarily. If I had to do it again and the price were right, I’d choose a P85 over the lot of them. The Ds drive a bit too “chunky” for my liking (S and 3 alike) and the 3 is too low rent, despite having a lot of objectively better interior bits. The oldest S I drove (a P85) felt a lot better screwed together than my bag-of-bolts 3, it was quicker and less jiggly. Compared to the P85D, I found the somewhat slower acceleration of the P85 to be a more than acceptable trade-off, given the better handling, steering feel and much better range (and AP isn’t worth squat to me in its current state).

Wow, I felt completely the opposite except on the quality level with the S85. Shouldn't the P85D have MORE range than the P85 since the motors are in the opposite orientation on the model S (honest question)? I felt the range hit on the S85 a few times while I had it for a loaner. I made it home on like 5% battery once after not being able to charge for a day due to a power outage (This is just my commute to work and back). Sure I could have paid to go 1/2 hour out of my way down town (supercharging is free but access to it is not), or I could have stopped and waited for the cluster-F that is known as qualcomm to charge, but I did make it home.

I think it showed I had 80 miles of range and I have a 40 mile commute but boy did that number start dropping fast when I had to use my defroster. Model 3 has much better range and efficiency than the S85 I would think the P85D might be comparable to the S85 for range? Where can I look this up? All I could find quickly on google was this chart.
driving-range-for-the-model-s-family-chart1.png

Just because you get free supercharging does not mean you want to waste your time doing it. I have stopped all of one time with the 3 and that was just to try it. I tried once with the S but I didn't want to wait in line behind 4 other model S's waiting for a chance to charge!

Honestly I would not buy an EV if I could not charge at home or at work, I value my time. I have free supercharging right now but every day I can either drive a 1/2 hour out of my way and charge for an hour for free (or more if there is a line), or drive an hour out of my way to the charger with no line, then wait to charge, or I can go home and plug in and spend a few bucks to charge over night. Guess which option I pick EVERY single time.

I didn't drive a P85D but, when it rained the S85 would slip the back wheels when I floored it. The P3D feels much more planted with it's AWD, so I'd assume I would want at least an 85D for better efficiency and more stability when the roads are covered in oil.

There is a requirement to pre-heat the battery before launching Ludicrous mode?
Sorry, what does the 90% SOC level have to do with achieving maximum performance?

This, again, is bad info. You can engage L-mode without preheating.

Will the vehicle perform better if you do pre-heat and have a higher SOC? Probably.

(Not sure where the 90% number comes from)

Reactions: P85_DA
This, again, is bad info. You can engage L-mode without preheating.

Will the vehicle perform better if you do pre-heat and have a higher SOC? Probably.

(Not sure where the 90% number comes from)

Oh, I thought we were discussing the best performance possible for each vehicle. I've read that getting the best results from Ludicrous mode requires these steps: This is how you engage Tesla's new Ludicrous Plus mode Maybe this info isn't accurate?

Regardless, the P85D and M3P are close in straightline performance, but there's nothing to be done with the M3P to extract its best performance - just mash and go.

I have to admit, the initial hit of speed in the Model S P cars is just nicer than the P3D. The thing that really surprises me is that we have an older RWD only P85+ and I find even it to have as much of of a hit sensation as the P3Ds both my wife and I test drove (on separate occasions) - note my test drive was 45 mins long so I hit it a lot. Motor Trend got 3.9 secs to 60 with the old P85+ so it is definitely slower to 60 than the P3D, but that hit on the P3 is just a bit softer and thus doesn’t have quite as much wow factor as it could. Now, unlike my P85+, the 3 could put most of the power down at low speeds which is a very nice benefit of the dual motor cars.

Conversely, the late 2014 P85D I had as a loaner was a real gut punch, and even the 2018 100D (which got a performance boost - drag times tested it at 3.59 to 60) “felt” more impressive in that initial hit. All of this is inconsequential of course (classic first world problem), but given that folks buy the performance version for how it “feels” as much as anything, it does factor into the decision on whether to pony up the extra coin!

Unlike any other car maker, it is certainly possible Tesla will release some software change to boost the P3’s initial hit. When they did it for some of the Model Ses I was floored.

Reactions: Lifeinabox
...but that hit on the P3 is just a bit softer and thus doesn’t have quite as much wow factor as it could...it is certainly possible Tesla will release some software change to boost the P3’s initial hit..

Agreed 100%. It seems to me that the off-the-line power of the M3P is being limited somewhat by the software. It's fast from 0 to about 15, but then REALLY fast from 15-110. Noticed it right away the first couple of times I punched it on my test drives. I've been wondering since whether that's being done to protect the hardware or to enable a later release of a Launch or Ludicrous mode...?

Oh, I thought we were discussing the best performance possible for each vehicle. I've read that getting the best results from Ludicrous mode requires these steps: This is how you engage Tesla's new Ludicrous Plus mode Maybe this info isn't accurate?

Ludicrous Plus is only available on P100D cars. P85D and P90D cars with Ludicrous don't have the Ludicrous Plus setting. Also the advertised acceleration times for P90D (2.8s) and P100D (2.5s) are for Ludicrous. Ludicrous Plus shaves off another ~0.1 seconds.

Reactions: P85_DA and glide

Regardless, the P85D and M3P are close in straightline performance, but there's nothing to be done with the M3P to extract its best performance - just mash and go.

L+ is only available on a P100D and it will get you 0-60 in 2.2 seconds as opposed to 2.5. Has nothing to do with a P85D or how it is engaged there.

Reactions: P85_DA
I previously had a Model S, 90D (Not a P) and now have P3D. I'm not saying it is an apples to apples comparison, but in reality most of my driving is typical commuting.

That being said, overall, I am much happier with the Model 3. Mostly, it comes down to what you get for your money. You are getting all of the benefits of a Tesla with a much lower price tag. Sure, a Model S Performance variant can beat it off of the line, but at least for me, how often does that really matter?

What I do miss from my Model S? The trunk hatch and the heated steering wheel. I don't even miss the 2nd display. I thought I would, but I don't. If you need to haul a big box, the hatch on the Model S was amazing. It really allowed for some big cargo to be loaded into it. I also miss the wiper stalk on the Model S. The Model 3 auto wipers are changing all of the time, sometimes an update has it too aggressive, then it patches and it isn't aggressive enough. It is close though. The "always on" power that I had in the S was also a plus, which allowed for things like easy Dashcam installs (while parked) and phone charging when the car was off.

The big thing though is what I pay. My monthly payment is less by a significant amount, and my insurance payment is less by a significant amount. For the cost difference, I don't feel like I have lost anything. Sure, I miss those small things about the Model S, but I also feel like I have gained things in the Model 3. It feels much more nimble when driving and the computer is much more responsive. The autopilot is much improved than my old S. The stereo (and sub) sounds better to me and the seats fit my body better. It's plenty fast and turns more heads. The tech and the car are brand new, and having a warranty on a Tesla is a big plus. (Parts and repair bills are no joke)

My wife has a Model X, and that is a totally different car. I think it compliments the Model 3 very well.

Reactions: Lifeinabox
I wonder if the initial push in the model S is due to the fact it has similar type motors on front and rear versus the model 3 having 1 permanent magnet motor or whatever that reportedly isn't as capable from an acceleration standpoint.

Launching in a P3D is like being pulled by giant rubber band. You get a butterfly in your gut ½ second after you smash it to the floor it. Tap, tap, tap on the throttle and it’s whoosh whoosh, whoosh.

Any P based S, and it’s like getting shot out of a cannon from behind. Smash it and it’s Kaboom. Tap, tap, tap on the throttle and it’s boom, boom, boom.

Just the way it is.

Firmware upgrade please. I’d pay for it if my wife wouldn’t find out.;)

• Funny
Reactions: Russell and P85_DA
I wonder if the initial push in the model S is due to the fact it has similar type motors on front and rear versus the model 3 having 1 permanent magnet motor or whatever that reportedly isn't as capable from an acceleration standpoint.

I have wondered as much myself. Others theorize, as we see in this thread, Tesla is merely saving the drivetrain. Interestingly enougg, when nailing the P3D coming out of a roundabout the front end got a bit squirrely (which surprised me). I do wonder if they are putting more juice to that front induction motor...

I own a P85 and completely disagree. The P85 is a good car but it doesn’t hold a candle to the P85D or P3 in handling. You may have had a bad build. It happens. The two 3s I’ve test driven plus the multiple 3s owned by friends have all been solid and better built than my classic S.

I find all this armchair arguing pretty funny. As if any of us can detect a tenth of a second difference in real world driving. I’m just glad we get to chose between two great cars. For the OP, I’m scheduled to pick up my P3 on the 30th but still window shopping for the perfect P85D as they are a bargain right now and may try to switch over last minute.

Reactions: Sappy02 and P85_DA
I own a P85 and completely disagree. The P85 is a good car but it doesn’t hold a candle to the P85D or P3 in handling. You may have had a bad build. It happens. The two 3s I’ve test driven plus the multiple 3s owned by friends have all been solid and better built than my classic S.

I find all this armchair arguing pretty funny. As if any of us can detect a tenth of a second difference in real world driving. I’m just glad we get to chose between two great cars. For the OP, I’m scheduled to pick up my P3 on the 30th but still window shopping for the perfect P85D as they are a bargain right now and may try to switch over last minute.

Agreed. I'm kinda the same but I haven't actually placed the order for the P3D yet.

For some reason, something is holding me back to pull the trigger on that P3D+, kinda got a bit disappointing speed wise when I compared to P85D. Not sure yet... It seems that, from MPP videos, RWD M3 modified handles same as P3D+ without track mode plus it gets down to 4.6 seconds on 0-60 mph (I think that's with 1ft. rolling).

Just that "Insane mode" sensation that I can take out of my head lol.