Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MagSafe Chargers Roadster Iphone 12 mini Dock Creation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ordered the new Iphone 12 mini with the magSafe charger and MagSafe Case.. The new MagSafe Chargers for the new Iphone 12 and Iphone 12 Mini with the Magsafe cases allow the Iphone to Magnetize to MagSafe Charger and Charge utilizing a 20w increased output.

I have been using the old iphone SE 4.7inch since 2015 and been using the phone ever since; yes I am one of those people when people see my phone they are like "What the hell is that"

Part of the reasoning is the 4.7" iphone SE still fits perfectly within the "Roadsters iPod dock" so when I get in the car Just like Elon did in one of his old videos that's where he put his phone; so clearly this is the spot to place your phone; old or new.

It Seems like the Magsafe Ring or Charger is Small enough to cradle or fit behind the rubber or plate of the ipod dock; I have yet to receive the charger or phone so I cannot test.

I'm sure there are going to be issues maybe a custom retrofit or design we can come up with can install and hold these new iphone pro and iphone 12 mini in the ipod dock and magnetize the new phones to the Magsafe Charger wired to the Roadster electronics utilizing the 20w power adapter.

I am willing to research and participate with anyone here who is willing to make this happen to reality.

shopping
upload_2020-11-7_8-5-29.jpeg

MagSafe Charger

The MagSafe Charger makes wireless charging a snap. The perfectly aligned magnets attach to your iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro and provide faster wireless charging up to 15W.

The MagSafe Charger maintains compatibility with Qi charging, so it can be used to wirelessly charge your iPhone 8 or later, as well as AirPods models with a wireless charging case, as you would with any Qi-certified charger.

The magnetic alignment experience only applies to iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models.

Recommended: 20W USB-C Power Adapter (sold separately)

Last edited:
I have ordered the new Iphone 12 mini with the magSafe charger and MagSafe Case.. The new MagSafe Chargers for the new Iphone 12 and Iphone 12 Mini with the Magsafe cases allow the Iphone to Magnetize to MagSafe Charger and Charge utilizing a 20w increased output.

I have been using the old iphone SE 4.7inch since 2015 and been using the phone ever since; yes I am one of those people when people see my phone they are like "What the hell is that"

Part of the reasoning is the 4.7" iphone SE still fits perfectly within the "Roadsters iPod dock" so when I get in the car Just like Elon did in one of his old videos that's where he put his phone; so clearly this is the spot to place your phone; old or new.

<snip>

The magnetic alignment experience only applies to iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models.

I've been thinking about this same thing! I would think there would need to be some way of making the MagSafe charging ring stay put on the iPod charging dock in the Roadster. Perhaps a 3D-printed piece that slips in to the area where the 30-pin connector used to come through.

What I have is a USB female connector coming through that area, so I would have to make some modifications to make it work. See photo:

6B965FD7-D7E4-4B00-B409-8D2856FD18E4.jpeg

Only have an iPhone X right now, so couldn't use it anyhow, but when I upgrade, would love to have a solution.

Anyone have a 3D printer and willing to do some prototypes?

Great thinking on this!

• Love
Reactions: jason.tv
ok so just looked at the ipod dock and the new phone 12 mini is little more width in size than the old iphone SE so would need to be angled more to fit; I would need the iphone 12 mini that arrives on the 11th to take better pictures.

The new MagSafe charger is backwards compatible as a standard wireless qi charger for the old phones so it would be cool if someone can do this.

again I would need the iphone 12 mini to show better pics.

ok so just looked at the ipod dock and the new phone 12 mini is little more width in size than the old iphone SE so would need to be angled more to fit; I would need the iphone 12 mini that arrives on the 11th to take better pictures.

The new MagSafe charger is backwards compatible as a standard wireless qi charger for the old phones so it would be cool if someone can do this.

again I would need the iphone 12 mini to show better pics.

I hae the regular-size iPhone X. I suspect if I upgrade that I will go with the similar size iPhone 12 Pro (not the max), it does not fit well in the iPod dock like the SE does (or the new mini). I really need either a base that it would sit on, or the magnet would need to stick out enough that my phone would protrude out from the dock indentation.

I bought the Jedha twin USB-A -> USB-C + USB-A plate, and the power does not seem sufficient to power a Apple Magsafe charge to an iPhone 12. Any other suggestions. Prefer to use the MagSafe. Jeda is supposed to get back to me with a fix. They said rightmost USB-C port, but even with everything unplugged, it doesn't sufficiently power.

I bought the Jedha twin USB-A -> USB-C + USB-A plate, and the power does not seem sufficient to power a Apple Magsafe charge to an iPhone 12. Any other suggestions. Prefer to use the MagSafe. Jeda is supposed to get back to me with a fix. They said rightmost USB-C port, but even with everything unplugged, it doesn't sufficiently power.

yeah, amperage is too low. I ran another USB cable from the back of a new replacement stereo, which had higher amperage. Works fine for me now.