Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Mandatory" Colorado EV Plates are coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my letter from the DMV. At first I thought they were just promoting their new EV plates, but if you read the whole page it says, "you are still required to obtain, and display, the EV decal for your vehicle..."

The actual law states the reason is, "(a) Clear identification of electric vehicles with a dedicated license plate is a low-cost and practical way to reap the benefits of greater public awareness of electric vehicles; (b) Electric vehicle license plates will make it easier for the public and law enforcement to regulate who parks in electric vehicle parking places that are dedicated charging stations; and (c) Electric vehicles can be driven in special lanes as an incentive to buy cleaner energy, and cities may designate roadways where only electric vehicles are allowed to mitigate local noise and pollution issues." There are no free HOV lanes for EV's and I have never seen a car parking in an EV-Only spot without a charging cable attached. Also, I can find no penalty for not displaying the decal. I applaud their encouragement of electric vehicles but this seems to be complicated to do it.

The overwhelming majority of Tesla's I've seen have personalized plates. I never got a decal. The state's DMV web site says, "EV decals are currently available at your county motor vehicle offices and will eventually be available through myDMV;" I've seen one in the last 2 years and I thought it was a novelty from O'Reilly's. I'll wait for it to be available online, or they might include it with my renewal sticker.

Last edited:
I don't really understand the resistance to putting the decal on the upper right corner of the windshield. Aesthetics?

I've had them on my cars since they were first issued about nine years ago. Back then it was fun because EVs were so rare, especially over here on the Western Slope; I had the only one in my county.

Now, with the proliferation of EV models that are hard to identify, I can see how it might be useful to be able to identify EVs if charging space rules are ever enforced. ICEing isn't common around here but I've seen a lot of it in my travels around the country.

Perhaps someday core city areas will be limited to zero emission vehicles during high pollution or high congestion times of the day. As is happening overseas. Hard to see it in Denver but I suppose it could happen. It would be quite the incentive to drive an EV, as opposed to an ICE vehicle.

aesthetics for me. Plus I bought mines last year when the had the plates, but I got a different plate style instead. They never gave me a sticker. Since I haven't read anywhere about a penalty for not having one, I think I will skip it.

aesthetics for me. Plus I bought mines last year when the had the plates, but I got a different plate style instead. They never gave me a sticker. Since I haven't read anywhere about a penalty for not having one, I think I will skip it.
We've had 17 EVs since 2016 and never put a sticker on any of them and never had any problem. I can only remember receiving 2 or 3 stickers over the years. We do have the new EV plates on two vehicles and will be switching a third car over when it is time to renew.

Reactions: ay221
Same here, right down to "they never gave me a sticker." Bought our first Tesla in 2016 (and still have it), and the second in 2022. Have never been offered a sticker even though several times I did the registration at the county courthouse, where the Clerk's Office is. No penalty? No problem. Even if electric, we shouldn't be parking in a charging spot if we're not charging. Simple as that.

Same here, right down to "they never gave me a sticker." Bought our first Tesla in 2016 (and still have it), and the second in 2022. Have never been offered a sticker even though several times I did the registration at the county courthouse, where the Clerk's Office is. No penalty? No problem. Even if electric, we shouldn't be parking in a charging spot if we're not charging. Simple as that.
That's surprising. I was given the stickers when I registered my current car in 2016 and my previous car when the stickers first became available circa 2013. The Ouray County Clerk and Recorder's office still has them when I checked last week, asking about the confusing wording of that DMV letter.

Not that it really matters for a car plugged-in, as you say. Back when the stickers first became available, I assumed it was just another Front Range thing.

Visited the DMV this week. They are issuing the new plates, but they are Print-on-Demand only. So they gave me a temporary license plate and said the electric vehicle plates will arrive in a few weeks. They look just like the image in the first post. If you decide to do another plate (e.g Broncos, RMN, Adopt-a-Pet, etc), then you are required to use a decal. Not sure what that looks like or why it's required, but I hate decals so I went with the plate.

View attachment 834192
I'm bummed the vanity type of this plate doesn't have the lighting bolt. I really wanted AC/DC.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker