Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Mandatory" Colorado EV Plates are coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
It looks like Colorado EV owners will start receiving new EV plates at no additional charge within the next year: Electric Vehicle License Plate Bill Passes

1628082545515.png

"Those with existing EVs should be able to request one of the new EV plates as well." As with other special plates, the vanity version wouldn't have the symbol in the middle but would still have the Electric Vehicle wording at the bottom.

Last edited:
Edit: I think I read wrong and overreacted. Looks like it's for NEW car registrations for those who don't opt for special plates of another type. That's fine.
Yeah, only "mandatory" for new EV registrations but it looks like existing ones could "upgrade" to the new EV plates if they wanted to. Yes, it looks like you can still get other special plates, if desired, so "mandatory" isn't really mandatory.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
Yeah, only "mandatory" for new EV registrations but it looks like existing ones could "upgrade" to the new EV plates if they wanted to. Yes, it looks like you can still get other special plates, if desired, so "mandatory" isn't really mandatory.
Agreed. I started reading definitive words like "mandatory" and was ready to take to the streets with pitch forks and torches over my keeping my current special plates. 😁

They're actually pretty cool looking and if I didn't already pay for some kickass special plates I'd be all over these. Especially since they're my favorite price of "free ninety-nine" and help to promote EVs. I'm continually amazed by how many people I talk to that still don't even realize they're 100% BEV.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Section 42-3-259 - Electric vehicle license plates, Colo. Rev. Stat. § 42-3-259 | Casetext Search + Citator

This is the actual law. It appears to me that this replaces the default selection for EV cars from green/white to whatever this plate ends up being.
It sounds like you can still opt for any of the other style plates if you want to select those (anything under article 3, which apparently is where the rules for all custom plate designs live). It isn't clear to me if you could opt to get the green/white plates as an EV owner.

Apparently this makes it so you don't have to put on the mandatory EV sticker on your car, although I have never seen a situation where that is required. I haven't put it on my Tesla and never put one on my Volt while owning that for 4 years (although as a PHEV I never charged my Volt away from home).

As for any updates, I didn't see any information at all on the Colorado DMV page about the license plate so it is still stuck in design mode somewhere. The law doesn't give a timeline for this starting.

I've been putting the EV sticker on my cars since it was first introduced around eight years ago but don't really know what it is for. Exempt from emissions testing in the Front Range? Special EV only parking somewhere? I don't really care because I thought it was fun to have on my car.

I'll be interested to see what the new EV design is, not that I plan to give up my 10+ year old green mountain plates:

LEAF license plate0305cropsf 10-27-11.jpg

Reactions: Operator
I've been putting the EV sticker on my cars since it was first introduced around eight years ago but don't really know what it is for. Exempt from emissions testing in the Front Range? Special EV only parking somewhere? I don't really care because I thought it was fun to have on my car.

I'll be interested to see what the new EV design is, not that I plan to give up my 10+ year old green mountain plates:

View attachment 791936
From what I understand, it's to allow cars to park in EV parking spots designated by green lines, usually for charging. They charge like $0.50 and I have as stack of them that I've never put in a car. I don't really park in those spaces anyway so I'm not worried about it. I would like the $3.50 back I spent on all of them each time we've bought another Tesla. 🤣

From what I understand, it's to allow cars to park in EV parking spots designated by green lines, usually for charging. They charge like $0.50 and I have as stack of them that I've never put in a car. I don't really park in those spaces anyway so I'm not worried about it. I would like the $3.50 back I spent on all of them each time we've bought another Tesla. 🤣
Nobody here in my little Ouray County, population 5000, knew what they were for. Green lines aren't much used for EV charging spaces over here.

However, I do routinely use the public charge stations, in part because I want people to see them getting used and in part because I helped pay for them with my $50 plug-in car annual registration fee ($30 to roads, $20 to the charge station grant fund). The public charge stations in my area now get regular use as EV numbers have increased considerably in recent years. In the early days I had the only one.

Reactions: markc2
So were awaiting our Vin #, should I go in with a copy of the EV plate section? I would really like to have those plates, We will probably/hopefully/God Willing and the Creek don't rise, have ours before July.

Thanks for the information!!
They aren’t available yet, if the dmvs website is right they will be available in July. So any car picked up in Colorado from May 1 and beyond will probably get auto assigned these plates when they do get plates. Assuming you wait till your temp tags expire in July to get new plates.