Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New map update broke Navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just returned from a Vegas trip and noticed a "Map update" notification on the screen of my 2015 Model S. After I entered the navigation information all I get is the spinning "processing" arrow. I tried entering a nearby Super Charger destination and the same thing happened, except that after a couple minutes it timed out and a "Service required" notification was displayed.

Anybody else getting this? Any ideas to fix?

Do you have data services (LTE or Wifi)? do you see traffic on your map before you enter an address? Does TuneIn or Spotify work? The continually spinning is indicative it is not getting data...may not be a nav issue but a data issue.

Would also help if you say what software version you are on as well as what Map version.

OK. It's been an interesting couple of days.

I set up a service appointment for 3/20. Then my driver side display went dark (no speedometer) also my vehicle would time out on doing a software update to 2020.4.1. It would get to 10%, hang there and quit. The car was still functional but autopilot was disabled. The next day 3/12) I drove to the store and when I came out I have my display back. The night of 3/12 the software update finally went through but still no navigation. 3/13 I got in and noticed that the "Service required" Icon was gone from the display and I have navigation back.

I've had something similar happen, twice. The more recent time was about a month ago and sounds closer to your issue.

I got in the car and there was a notification that maps had been updated. Great. I cleared that notification and then noticed the error icon at the top of the touchscreen. Tapping that showed "Navigation unavailable. Navigation maps are not loaded." The icon next it showed MCU_w007, which is an internal fault code.

Note that there are actually 3 separate functions here: The "maps", which confusingly is the turn-by-turn navigation routing function, the map tiles, which you see on the screen, and the function that lets you enter a business name or point of interest and then translates that into a street address.

The first one is the only thing failing in this case. The location text at the bottom of the map also showed the city that I was in when it failed, not the current street and city like usual.

I scheduled mobile service with the app. The night before they were supposed to come out, I was driving and noticed that the location text at the bottom of the map was again showing the current road and correct city, so I cancelled the appointment.

My guess is that someone remotely fixed something, but I didn't get any communication from Tesla to confirm it and wouldn't have even noticed that it was fixed if I hadn't been driving the car the night before the appointment.

By the way, the first time this happened, the mobile technician said the problem was due to connecting to a Wi-Fi network, but not often enough. If there is a map update available, the car doesn't notify you like a firmware update. Instead, it just does it in the background without warning. The first step is to delete the existing map data, then it starts downloading new data (see anything wrong with this logic?) If it doesn't complete its download because you moved it out of Wi-Fi range (since, it's, you know, a car, and pretty mobile) it tries again a few more times and eventually gives up and throws the error. At that point, it can't/won't fix itself the next time you do get into Wi-Fi range; it requires intervention from Tesla. The technician and I had to find a place with strong Wi-Fi where the car could be parked for several hours (hard to do in an apartment setting) then the technician started the download remotely.

I had this issue and assumed it was related to MCU replacement I just had done. I called Tesla so they could log it and after trying one thing that didn’t work, he told me to schedule a mobile service and they could fix it OTA. Shortly after scheduling the service, I received a text they would be pushing a fix and it worked!

After quite the hassle with a defunct MCU replacement (which sadly was right before MCU2) swaps, this was a welcome easy fix.

I set up an appointment on the phone. Next day they logged in, saw the issue, updated software, ran an upload of maps, sent another software update and everything's good to go all handled remotely. They did allude it may need an mcu replacement if it happens again.

In my prior post I mistakenly said my mcu had been replaced... It was just the touchscreen.

I’m having this issue now. Yesterday I drove about 10 miles without a center console, temps, or odometer and the heater on full blast (?). After parking the car, everything but the maps/navigation issue was resolved.

I spoke with the local service center and they said that I had to bring the car in because I have the latest OTA download and he couldn’t manually push a new map to me as it shows on his screen that I’m all up-to-date.

Does anyone know how to delete the map file so I can try to download it again? For the record I’m by my home and have good wifi here.

Well maybe it will fix itself?
C55680CD-A101-409C-B030-E601EF6F2466.jpeg

Reactions: Greenms60
The map is stored in an SD card. Mine tried to download for over a year but always failed when it got to 95%. Tesla remotely partitioned and formatted the SD card. Then they triggered a download. That was in January . It has been fine since then. My theory is the map was bigger than the allocated space but I can't prove it.

Yeah stuck around 30%. Going to service center on Thursday...this seems like something that should be done gratis since it's a software issue, right? I'm still under extended warranty, but I'd be kind of pissed if they try to charge for this/ask for the deductible.

I ended up having to take my 2013 P85+ to the Owings Mills, Maryland SC for the maps update. Initially they said I needed to increase my wireless signal. I've parked in the exact same spot for five years now and it always worked before but okay, I put in a wireless extender. Now my wifi signal is excellent but it only downloaded a bit better than half the map before stalling for two weeks straight. So I set up another appointment and took it in at 10:30 am this past Monday morning. They said it costs $700 for diagnosis and I authorized it because I need the car for a thousand mile one way trip on Wednesday. At 4 pm today they said they changed my SD card and it was up to about 98% complete. So I'm supposed to get the car back on Wednesday morning (August 4th 2020).

Spending 7 hours on Monday and a few hours on Tuesday is way too long to diagnose something that a simple search on this forum will gain you in a few minutes.

I kind of like the way we make appointments now but I sure do miss the white glove treatment we used to get whenever a car needed servicing. At least this time my loaner was a Tesla. It's a 2014 60 but it's a Tesla. I guess that P100D loaner cars went away with the white glove service.