Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New maps: Best way to give feedback?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
I got upgrade to 2018.12 two days ago, and this morning my car showed the new maps! I immediately asked it to route me somewhere to see if they fixed the abysmal routing engine that would often give weirdo routes.

Close but no cigar. Looks like my house in in an odd corner case where it thinks my driveway connects to a nearby street rather than onto my own street. Needless to say, the routes it gives near my house aren't good!

What's the best way to give map feedback to Tesla such that it doesn't disappear into a black hole?

Yeah, that seems to be the best answer. In the past, I would have used bug report, but I've been told that no longer does (if it ever did) anything without being pulled from the car manually when the SC is examining logs.

Wish we had a better bug mechanism while on the road!

I got upgrade to 2018.12 two days ago, and this morning my car showed the new maps! I immediately asked it to route me somewhere to see if they fixed the abysmal routing engine that would often give weirdo routes.

Close but no cigar. Looks like my house in in an odd corner case where it thinks my driveway connects to a nearby street rather than onto my own street. Needless to say, the routes it gives near my house aren't good!

What's the best way to give map feedback to Tesla such that it doesn't disappear into a black hole?
I live on a corner and my driveway is not on the street of my address. For months I parked in front of my house because the car had said "you have arrived" (instead of driving around the corner and parking in my garage). ;)

This is actually a really, really good question!

When companies deliver beta software to the outside community, that always comes with a clear mechanism for filing bug reports. Many companies also support online forums where beta testers can compare notes.

During beta testing, companies will also notify the testers of what has changed in releases, and will often ask them to test certain areas and provide feedback, to verify new changes added to the software.

These mechanisms help the company identify problems in the beta software and quickly correct them, while the software team is actively working on that code.

That's not what Tesla does...

Tesla marks most of their software as "beta" - and instead of actually running beta tests, they appear to be doing this as a way to indicate the software is not fully baked - is missing obvious features and will likely have obvious bugs.

I've participated in many beta tests - and provided high quality bug reports. I used to do that with Tesla - methodically reporting each problem I encountered, when possible, providing enough information so they could reproduce the problem or look for it in our car's logs.

And, I've given up on doing that - because problems that were reported years ago still haven't been fixed - and Tesla provides no confirmation that the bug reports are actually going anywhere.

There's likely a high percentage of Tesla's current customers who are willing to be beta testers (beyond the small hand-picked group of beta testers Tesla is using - and who seem to miss many bugs during testing). And we're willing to provide Tesla quality feedback to help the find and correct problems.

But we don't have any mechanism for doing that...

An update. A couple of days after I sent Tesla an email about this, the problem has been fixed! I don’t know if it was a Tesla support person doing the fix and then having the map update passed over the air to me (impressive if so), or whether the car/mapping system figured it out on its own (even more impressive).

• Love
Reactions: chillaban
I am currently dive a MS 100D loaner car with 800 miles. The firmware 2018.12 is loaded. I don't see any differences in the maps or manner in which it navigates as compared to my MS running 2018.10.x

2018.12 doesn’t give you the new maps, just the ability to have the maps downloaded. After you get 2018.12, you have to let the car be connected to a solid WiFi signal, and then you’ll get the new maps in a few days. It’s a 5 GB download, I think.

An update: turns out that the Tesla new map data didn't in fact update properly for me. So my house location was still messed up and it still thought I was on a different street in some cases.

BUT I FOUND THE ANSWER.

It turns out that the new Tesla maps use the open source street map database at OpenStreetMap

I went there for something else, looked at my house, and sure enough, there was the messed up street data. Using the mapping tools, you are able to correct the incorrect map info on the fly. So, I just corrected my area, now I will have to wait and see how long it takes for the Tesla map to get an updated copy...

So, in doing some more tests - Tesla doesn't exclusively use OpenStreetMap - there are lots of business locations that are in Tesla maps that are not in OSM. And changes to OSM take almost a week to appear in Tesla Maps. I am still testing to see how quickly changes get propagated between the two, and what gets propagated.

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
Telsa maps are starting to get very annoying on mountain roads, at every corner the navigation tells me to turn left and right, despite there not being a left and right and just being a continues road. Anyone know how to change this? It seems that if the road has a certain degree of turn, its mapped as a turn and shows up as a white dot on the screen. I looked at OSM, but they are just points.
Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 09.08.54.png