TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Maps for Model S and X

Discussion in 'Model S' started by miemrich, Apr 26, 2018.

1. miemrich

miemrich Member

How do I determine if I already got the new maps via Wifi into my car?

thanks.

2. cmaster

cmaster Member

3. HA3AP

HA3AP Member

Got to Controls->Settings->Navigation and see if you have online routing. If not, those are the old maps.

4. Shateam

Shateam Member

5. miemrich

miemrich Member

Thank you. After I programmed a destination I saw the "Tesla Beta Naviation" on the main screen.

6. jpaz

jpaz Member

Crazy thing. While parked at the airport with Power Saving and "always connected" set to limit my vampire drainage, the new maps downloaded. I was not connected to Wifi. This happened over the two days I was out of town. Go figure!

• Like x 1
  7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

You may have already had them and they just unpacked and installed while the car was at the airport. That does take some time, according to reports.

• Like x 1
  8. JDG500

JDG500 Member

A couple of weeks ago (not sure of the date but around mid-April) there must have been an update on my Tesla 100D as the maps started to show Traffic density Andy there was a Tesla local at the bottom right of the map, near the Google one. I never saw any notification that an update had been done but that’s fine.

However, a couple of days later, the maps had reverted to the old style. I.e. no traffic density and no Tesla logo.

Anyone got any. Ideas what is going on?

9. Raincloud

Raincloud Member

I have 'Tesla Beta Navigation' on the MCU but no 'new' map on the smaller screen/dashboard. Also I still do not have routing options under Controls->Settings->Navigation.

10. Raincloud

Raincloud Member

Update: Got the new maps this morning. :):D

11. T3SLA90D

T3SLA90D Member

Just got the new navigation update. I noticed that the red arrow (car) position is off (ahead) especially in zoomed out bird’s eye view mode on the instrument cluster screen compared to the more accurate center screen map (see pictures). This may lead to confusion when taking exits or intersections.

Attached Files:

12. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

In some ways the new maps are old again. In addition to reverting to flagging certain road segments for lane keeping speed limits, some road names and speed limits which were wrong but had been corrected but are wrong again. I wonder if Tesla made their own corrections when these errors were identified before but the new maps did not incorporate those customizations as they reverted to some base third party map.

• Informative x 1
  13. psgabin

psgabin Member

used the other night is there a new nav voice?

14. T3SLA90D

T3SLA90D Member

Yea there’s a new nav voice but in my opinion it’s not as good as the original one. Can’t even say “left” correctly.

15. BBB4000

BBB4000 Member

16. chispas

chispas Member

That is interesting, I haven’t heard of anyone with a firmware earlier than 2018.12 and the new nav, although people reported that it has been there for quite a while and Tesla just needed to flip the switch so I guess is possible.

Btw I’ve created a page to track the nav rollout, it would be great if you add yourself here.

17. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

I love the new nav voice. (Same voice that Model 3 has had all along.) Much mellower.