TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Maps Update - Still Don't Have it?!

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by kgroschi, May 4, 2018.

1. kgroschi

kgroschi Car Reviewer from Germany

Hey guys,

how are you? I just had an update on my car 2018.16 (I think) and still don't have the new maps update. I remember like a month ago everyone was saying that it will be out on that weekend, and I am still waiting today...

Am I the only one who hasn't received this new update?

2. BradWI

BradWI Member

I’m still on 18.10.4...

3. terrywhite

terrywhite Member

Me too.

4. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

Once you get .16 the maps download a day or so after and you get the release notes on the screen advising you it’s now active.

5. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

I only got it a few days ago. Maybe the rollout is still in progress.

6. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

Not true. I have had 2018.16 for almost 2 weeks now on my Model S and it is on Wifi every evening and all day most days (work from home) and I still do not have the new maps.

7. kgroschi

Same here. My car has wifi in my garage where it's been parked almost all week (I didn't drive) and nothing. Quite disappointing. My friend up the street got his update for the Model X like 4 weeks ago. I didn't expect the rollout to take that long.

8. milleron

milleron Member

Ditto. Garage has Wi-Fi for MS AP2. Stuck on 2018.10.4 for going on 8 weeks.
    When I look at maps of the new-nav rollout, there's a glaring hole in the midwest. That would seem to explain my situation but not that of all the coastal dwellers on this thread. At Teslafi.com, they're following over 1,600 S and X owners and about 80% of them have firmware beyond 10.4. I'll start to wonder what's going on when that gets to 95% and I still don't have an upgrade.

9. milleron

milleron Member

Make that 86% that now have firmware beyond 18.10.4. It's almost everyone but not yet enough to deduce that those of us without it are having technical difficulties in receiving it.

10. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Someone has to be last :(

11. Vestniek

Vestniek Member

Well, I got 2018.12 5eadc71 a couple of weeks ago, and I don't have any new maps. I don't have wifi in the garage area, so periodically I take an iPad down there and set up a personal hotspot. Still no luck.

12. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

Well, almost immediately after complaining here i went out to my car and I had the new maps and nav. Guess Tesla is monitoring the forums

• Funny x 1
  13. kgroschi

I still don't have it :/

14. iTech

iTech Member

I had an unknown IC issue that required a reboot of both the IC and MCU before I was able to get the latest firmware and maps update. Try giving that a shot.

15. crashvt

crashvt Member

I have been on .12 for a while now and still no maps. I am on WiFi every night and tried rebooting, etc. I must not be worthy.

16. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

Have to be honest, now that I have the update it's not that big of a deal. I never had too many issues with the prior Nav, even navigating around NYC between NJ and LI, which is typically difficult for most navs. The new voice is better, but for me that's about it. I also preferred the lane cards the prior version had, made turns more obvious I think. So my view is overall no big deal.

• Informative x 1
  17. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

The higher version is not really relevant. 2018.12 is the base, and nothing about that 'helps' you get the new map; it may take weeks. I got it just 10 days ago after being on 12 for a month (and am still on 12). Who knows what the algorithm is for pushing it out, as I was on wifi for 99.9....% of the time since I got 12. All of the 'tips' are meaningless, as they are the same 'confirmation' steps as for any release: I did this and got it, so it must work. :D

And after getting it, I can say, nav is a little better, but still nothing to go nuts over. The AP in 10.4 is a ton better, for example, than new maps. I also prefer the old lane cards (like what Garmin used to have/has in standalone GPS (haven't use my Garmin in years).

18. arcus

arcus Active Member

Me too. Wish there was an option to choose between the two.

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Map updates are not tied to firmware versions. My new X came pre-loaded with the new maps. The first firmware update I did was 10.6, so it was on something less than that when I took delivery. As has been mentioned, you MUST be on WiFi to get the map updates unlike regular firmware updates which are just prioritized on WiFi.

20. pnd4pnd

pnd4pnd Member

No new maps here either 18.12 for a month now. Not a happy camper with Musks over promising and under delivering.