Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Maps Update - Still Don't Have it?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

how are you? I just had an update on my car 2018.16 (I think) and still don't have the new maps update. I remember like a month ago everyone was saying that it will be out on that weekend, and I am still waiting today...

Am I the only one who hasn't received this new update?

Hey guys,

how are you? I just had an update on my car 2018.16 (I think) and still don't have the new maps update. I remember like a month ago everyone was saying that it will be out on that weekend, and I am still waiting today...

Once you get .16 the maps download a day or so after and you get the release notes on the screen advising you it’s now active.

Hey guys,

I only got it a few days ago. Maybe the rollout is still in progress.

Not true. I have had 2018.16 for almost 2 weeks now on my Model S and it is on Wifi every evening and all day most days (work from home) and I still do not have the new maps.

Same here. My car has wifi in my garage where it's been parked almost all week (I didn't drive) and nothing. Quite disappointing. My friend up the street got his update for the Model X like 4 weeks ago. I didn't expect the rollout to take that long.

Ditto. Garage has Wi-Fi for MS AP2. Stuck on 2018.10.4 for going on 8 weeks.
When I look at maps of the new-nav rollout, there's a glaring hole in the midwest. That would seem to explain my situation but not that of all the coastal dwellers on this thread. At Teslafi.com, they're following over 1,600 S and X owners and about 80% of them have firmware beyond 10.4. I'll start to wonder what's going on when that gets to 95% and I still don't have an upgrade.

Have to be honest, now that I have the update it's not that big of a deal. I never had too many issues with the prior Nav, even navigating around NYC between NJ and LI, which is typically difficult for most navs. The new voice is better, but for me that's about it. I also preferred the lane cards the prior version had, made turns more obvious I think. So my view is overall no big deal.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Once you get .16 the maps download a day or so after and you get the release notes on the screen advising you it’s now active.
The higher version is not really relevant. 2018.12 is the base, and nothing about that 'helps' you get the new map; it may take weeks. I got it just 10 days ago after being on 12 for a month (and am still on 12). Who knows what the algorithm is for pushing it out, as I was on wifi for 99.9....% of the time since I got 12. All of the 'tips' are meaningless, as they are the same 'confirmation' steps as for any release: I did this and got it, so it must work. :D

And after getting it, I can say, nav is a little better, but still nothing to go nuts over. The AP in 10.4 is a ton better, for example, than new maps. I also prefer the old lane cards (like what Garmin used to have/has in standalone GPS (haven't use my Garmin in years).

Map updates are not tied to firmware versions. My new X came pre-loaded with the new maps. The first firmware update I did was 10.6, so it was on something less than that when I took delivery. As has been mentioned, you MUST be on WiFi to get the map updates unlike regular firmware updates which are just prioritized on WiFi.