Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New maximum range on LR RWD 2019.5.15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged today to 100% after getting it down to 20% and I wouldn't go past 490. This is already an improvement from before getting 2019.5.15. I'm hoping the warm weather coming gives a bit more back but most likely this is the first year lost capacity I've heard about.

For those of you who have received the update AND the longer range, did your rated Wh/km change on the 'consumption' graph? Or is it still 150 Wh/km?

It’s still 150. Also the charge rate at home in km/h stayed the same (would have increased if it were just an adjustment to the efficiency). It’s a real increase.

The first charge after the update I got to 470 km at 90%; second time was 464 but I don’t know if it dropped after finishing.

It’s still 150. Also the charge rate at home in km/h stayed the same (would have increased if it were just an adjustment to the efficiency). It’s a real increase.

The first charge after the update I got to 470 km at 90%; second time was 464 but I don’t know if it dropped after finishing.

Interesting wonder why AWD and PAWD didn't get any range unlocked if it's more battery capacity and not just playing with the numbers? The only thing I can think is that since RWD long range was more efficient the 100% had a bigger buffer before. Otherwise if it had the same buffer as AWD and PAWD they should be able to do the same unlock to those cars since the battery size is the same.

Interesting wonder why AWD and PAWD didn't get any range unlocked if it's more battery capacity and not just playing with the numbers? The only thing I can think is that since RWD long range was more efficient the 100% had a bigger buffer before. Otherwise if it had the same buffer as AWD and PAWD they should be able to do the same unlock to those cars since the battery size is the same.

Does make me wonder if they chose to have less capacity available to the RWD cars than the AWD/PAWD cars and have now unlocked some of that buffer.

Great, thanks for confirming! Actual capacity increase, not just tweaking rated consumption.

The more real the increase is the more annoying it is that its not working for me. I really wish Tesla would communicate this stuff better. My car was in for service after 5.15 and they had no idea. They just said must not be in this update maybe the next one. Now I have the next one and still no joy. I guess I should wait till its actually in the release notes.

The more real the increase is the more annoying it is that its not working for me. I really wish Tesla would communicate this stuff better. My car was in for service after 5.15 and they had no idea. They just said must not be in this update maybe the next one. Now I have the next one and still no joy. I guess I should wait till its actually in the release notes.

I think it'll balance out in the long run once our LR batteries stabilize to 95% of degradation. 525*0.95 = ~499kms; as advertised ;)

Reactions: KootsChewt
It’s not a real range increase I don’t know how you guys came to that conclusion. There has been reports of people getting more than the rated range for a while. Now they have just reevaluated it to match the proper range. I have the update and can tell you it’s just software change. There is no “magic unused battery getting uncorked”. Tesla would’ve said so if it were true.

Reactions: duanra
It’s not a real range increase I don’t know how you guys came to that conclusion. There has been reports of people getting more than the rated range for a while. Now they have just reevaluated it to match the proper range. I have the update and can tell you it’s just software change. There is no “magic unused battery getting uncorked”. Tesla would’ve said so if it were true.

I think someone said the charge rate is the same after the increase in range. If true it would mean a real unlock. Since 0 to 100% would actually take longer and so more kwh would go in. Otherwise charge rate should also increase by 5%.

Looks like they reverted the formula to pre-range decrease or I have 5% degradation after 22.5k kms :)

upload_2019-4-4_7-53-22.png

upload_2019-4-4_7-54-11.png

upload_2019-4-4_7-56-12.png

I think someone said the charge rate is the same after the increase in range. If true it would mean a real unlock. Since 0 to 100% would actually take longer and so more kwh would go in. Otherwise charge rate should also increase by 5%.
That makes no sense lol. If the charge rate stayed the same doesn’t it mean nothing changed? Everything’s the same. Just the car reports a higher km now.

That makes no sense lol. If the charge rate stayed the same doesn’t it mean nothing changed? Everything’s the same. Just the car reports a higher km now.

Let's say your charge rate was like mine 47km/h. Then if you're at 0km battery then it should take: 499/47 = 10 hours 37 minutes
But if it's 525km then it would be: 11 hours 10 minutes.

If it was just a higher report then it should charge at a little over 49km/h to give the same 10 hours 37 minutes time.

Let's say your charge rate was like mine 47km/h. Then if you're at 0km battery then it should take: 499/47 = 10 hours 37 minutes
But if it's 525km then it would be: 11 hours 10 minutes.

If it was just a higher report then it should charge at a little over 49km/h to give the same 10 hours 37 minutes time.
Yes exactly. I have the increased range and everything is the same. Charge rate, time etc.

Yes exactly. I have the increased range and everything is the same. Charge rate, time etc.
Charge rate and time can't be the same if the display shows 525km at 100% instead of 499km.

Since time to charge to 100% is:
new_time_to_charge = (525-current_rated_range)/new_charge_rate
vs
old_time_to_charge = (499-current_rated_range)/old_charge_rate

If we set old_time_charge = new_time_to_charge and current_rated_range the same in both cases and old_charge_rate = old_charge_rate

Then we get: 525=499... math doesn't work out.

Unless charge rate is shown as one value (47km per hour), but rated range increases at a greater rate (49km per hour).

What was your charge time and rate before? And what is your rated range now?