Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MCU Doesn't Seem to Sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. My X has the new MCU, and my car doesn't seem to ever sleep. I use Teslafi, but notice that the new MCU doesn't have the power saving menu items that the older cars have.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any tips?

Thanks! I thought I was going nuts. I also can't re-boot any more with the scroll wheels either. I also noticed the "Commute Advice" switch in the Nav app screen is missing too.

Here is what my Displays screen looks like. Just white space where the Energy Savings and Always Connected controls used to be:

20180401_215347915_iOS.jpg

Thanks! I thought I was going nuts. I also can't re-boot any more with the scroll wheels either. I also noticed the "Commute Advice" switch in the Nav app screen is missing too.

Here is what my Displays screen looks like. Just white space where the Energy Savings and Always Connected controls used to be:

View attachment 291518

Exactly the same for me. I also can't connect to my wifi, and had no issues connecting with my buddies older S.

This is the closest I can come to the old "Always on."
Mobile Access Screen.jpg

I cannot reboot mine with the scroll wheels...
New MCU Software 2018.10.6

Until I froze mine up and forced a reboot wifi setup was a mess.

On the wifi setup screen - Can anyone see their MAC address by pressing the "i"
For me it says "information not available..."
In my wife's S it will show a MAC address on the wifi setup screen.

Shawn

This is the closest I can come to the old "Always on."
View attachment 291529

I cannot reboot mine with the scroll wheels...
New MCU Software 2018.10.6

Until I froze mine up and forced a reboot wifi setup was a mess.

On the wifi setup screen - Can anyone see their MAC address by pressing the "i"
For me it says "information not available..."
In my wife's S it will show a MAC address on the wifi setup screen.

Shawn

How did you Force a reboot?

While I was typing in a password for the wifi network that I just got the green checkmark on...
The car responded: "Enter network name and password"
While I was past entering the first character of the password an uppercase "Q" I typed the backspace key.
The car computer operations locked up - Even the main clock froze for 15 minutes...
It rebooted and wifi has been better since.
I wonder out loud if the "cannot boot" problem was the "hold" on deliveries and shipments over that weekend...
It booted after the update to 2018.10.6 and has not booted despite my requests since then...

I saw in the "S": forum where a service center technician referred to a "12 volt pull" as a solution to that particular
failure to boot.
I do not know what a "12 volt pull" is, but I could make an educated guess..................

Shawn

While I was typing in a password for the wifi network that I just got the green checkmark on...
The car responded: "Enter network name and password"
While I was past entering the first character of the password an uppercase "Q" I typed the backspace key.
The car computer operations locked up - Even the main clock froze for 15 minutes...
It rebooted and wifi has been better since.
I wonder out loud if the "cannot boot" problem was the "hold" on deliveries and shipments over that weekend...
It booted after the update to 2018.10.6 and has not booted despite my requests since then...

I saw in the "S": forum where a service center technician referred to a "12 volt pull" as a solution to that particular
failure to boot.
I do not know what a "12 volt pull" is, but I could make an educated guess..................

Shawn

Uggg. Probably just going to wait for next update, that will reboot it. Mine came with 2018.12

Prior to updating to 2018.12 last week, I had the "service 12-volt battery" message displayed. After the update, the message went away, but now I can no longer reboot via the scroll wheels, can't connect via the app and the SC says they haven't received any data from my car since last Thursday. They've been trying for a few days to force a reboot remotely, but I think it's going to require the mobile service. I hadn't heard of the 12-volt pull reboot method until now, but maybe it will reset everything. The SC also mentioned possibly hard-wiring into the car to force an update that seems to be hung up. We'll see what happens.

My 10 day old new MCU 10.6 S went completely dead 1 day after getting the dreaded service 12V battery soon message while parked in our garage yesterday. Mobile service came out last night and took the car back to the service center after replacing the battery with a used battery they had. Per the tech, they've had a lot of issues with the message being displayed on the new car, however our car is the first to actually completely kill the battery. I'm awaiting their answer on what will be the fix.

Jason Hughes, wk057 ingineer apacheguy verygreen Jack Rickard
etc
Is it possible to add an MCU power cutoff?
Got to be.

physical switch and wires.
manual switch,
click.
Off.
Like an oldschool hudden anti theft cutoff.

Would also be an antitheft cutoff, really.
But that isn't the point.
But it is also a point.

Tesla Vampire Killer.
FlameThrower Not Included.

How long can a Tesla sit powered off without issues?
Any issues booting back up again?
Thx.

I would hope that we have an RJ-45 ethernet jack somewhere in our collection of computers.
It would be nice to help download the fixes without the wifi issues...

All we would need to do, is to remember to disconnect it before we drive away... :)

Jason Hughes, wk057 ingineer apacheguy verygreen Jack Rickard
etc
Is it possible to add an MCU power cutoff?
Got to be.

physical switch and wires.
manual switch,
click.
Off.
Like an oldschool hudden anti theft cutoff.

Would also be an antitheft cutoff, really.
But that isn't the point.
But it is also a point.

Tesla Vampire Killer.
FlameThrower Not Included.

How long can a Tesla sit powered off without issues?
Any issues booting back up again?
Thx.

Well, the problem is that the MCU is on the same circuit as the gateway, which needs to be online all the time for logging and vehicle functions. I guess the only true “power switch” I can think of would consist of disconnecting the 12V. Once you reconnect the 12V the computer systems won’t have any problem booting up.

Reactions: Icer
Yes, but the new MCU with better thermal management and larger flash won’t suffer nearly as much as the older ones with 8 GB that ran at 60 C. Overall, I don’t think most owners will experience MCU flash failures until many more years down the line.

Yah, but MCU2 is a brand new design, so who knows what they screwed up with the thermal mgmt ;), First gen Tesla tech is never a good thing :rolleyes: