Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MCU model issues, anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sandollars

I bleed Cardinal
Feb 19, 2018
So Cal/So UT
I Thought I would start a thread to see if anyone else is having similar issues with MSs built after the March 4th changes. Most notable of those changes is the MCU2.

So far.

1. Unable to connect to WiFi
2. Will not Summon
3. GPS screen would not render twice on a road trip for about an hour each time. It was still tracking me, just would not show Sat view or regular Nav view. Fixed itself both times after an hour or so.
4. MASTER CAUTION and the car would not start. 4 days old and had to be towed to Service center. Outcome unknown at this time as it has been towed to a service center.

Cautions on the screen were:
Air suspension needs service,
Car may shut down unexpectedly,
Vehicle systems shutting down,
Car needs service,
Unable to charge,
Unable to start car,
Contact Tesla Service.

I have to say, I am a little sick to my stomach....

What firmware? First thing to mention. There was at least one firmware update for MCU2 cars, I believe. It may be as simple as that. This is reminiscent of when AP2.5 came out and 2017.42 bricked (“”) some of them and the SC needed to hard reset them and then a ‘point point’ release fixed it.

For instance, ev-fw.com has the first release for MCU2 being 2018.6.50 and then there being 10.1 and 10.2 just for them.

YES! I have the same WiFi and Summon issue. I mentioned this in another thread as well. At one point I couldn't hear audio out of the speakers and couldn't start the vehicle after powering off until I opened the door, closed it, and tried again. Pretty disheartening so far given I have just had the car a few days. I really hope they fix this ASAP

I Thought I would start a thread to see if anyone else is having similar issues with MSs built after the March 4th changes. Most notable of those changes is the MCU2.

So far.

1. Unable to connect to WiFi
2. Will not Summon
3. GPS screen would not render twice on a road trip for about an hour each time. It was still tracking me, just would not show Sat view or regular Nav view. Fixed itself both times after an hour or so.
4. MASTER CAUTION and the car would not start. 4 days old and had to be towed to Service center. Outcome unknown at this time as it has been towed to a service center.

Cautions on the screen were:
Air suspension needs service,
Car may shut down unexpectedly,
Vehicle systems shutting down,
Car needs service,
Unable to charge,
Unable to start car,
Contact Tesla Service.

I have to say, I am a little sick to my stomach....
Yep, I have the same fw and MCU and many of the same issues. My parking brake wouldn’t release and my car had to be put on a flatbed only 4 days into ownership. Oh yeah, and I’m with my car on a work trip. They gave me 2 free years of service and all weather mats when I told them they needed to make this right.

Welcome to the bleeding edge of Tesla ownership! Getting in early on one of these new features / "improvements" is a double-edged sword to be certain.

Don't fret, your MCU will be working perfectly in 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely.

Thank you for the perspective. It truly is a mind blowing car. Even with the issues, I am thrilled to be an owner.

Reactions: WINGIT
100D, MCU 2, f/w 10.2

Can't connect to WiFi, can't reboot anything from steering wheel. Couldn't hear any audio including clicking sound from directionals. I brought it to the service center and a tech did a hard reset and that fixed the audio problems. He confirmed that, had I been able to do my own reboot it would have cleared the audio problem. Techs are well aware of the issues with the new MCU and 10.2, waiting (as we are) for a firmware update. This is my 3rd model S (two Roadsters before that), and I'm confident these problems will get solved and we'll all be glad we got the new MCU. Two posters above had to have their cars towed, which definitely sucks, but not clear whether the issues that caused the need for a tow had anything to do with the new MCU. I'm hoping the MCU-related stuff is just teething pains.

A pseudo reset can be accomplished using Power Off in “E-Brake & Power Off”
Often clears issues that pressing both scroll wheels doesn’t.
DD5D6259-4D1A-46EF-9F4C-440FCA2AAA56.jpeg

CF1CD518-DE13-42D0-812B-D06CECEA0760.jpeg

Collected mine on Friday. New MCU.

Won't connect to Wi-Fi, spinning wheel of death "Initializing Wi-Fi".

Is reset now only on the console (Power Off)? Tried that and waited 3 minutes. No success.

Is there another full-reset method?

Nope. Apparently that is the procedure for 2018.10.2. Roadside assistance had me try this to see if it would correct my issues but to no avail.

Like others have said, I am sure these are just glitches and bugs that need to be worked out. The changes made in March to the Model S were fairly significant ones so some of this should be expected. Afterall, we are dealing with.... How did @ucmndd put it? "The bleeding edge".... Nice....

I still miss my car though...... :)

Having issues with WiFI 5G mostly...
IF i try to connect to legacy 2.4G it works fine.
But i get the endless loop "wrong password" on 5G

Summon is broken on the APP.
On the FOB it works, however you need to disable the option where it says while pressed.
Then i can summon the car via FOB, but via App, its utterly broken.

I think other then that i got lucky with my car.
I have one slight finishing alignment issue with the bumper, but its very small.
Oh my mirror started to squeek on the passengers side too, but i dont have the woosh noise others are reporting.

I would like to have summon and 5G work tho.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Joelgjr and cwerdna