Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MCU model issues, anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me ask a different question. Expecting delivery late May / early June. Between the new MCU problems and the new front suspension problems, sounds like a bad time to get a new MS. Is this yet another good reason to get an inventory car?

I’ve had my MS for two weeks and the only issue I have is the lack of summon from the app. I’m not sure you’re hearing everyone that has no issues - just the ones that do.

Reactions: el_tlatoani
But Summon works from the key fob?

I also have an apple watch and it sounds like I'll have to put that in airplane mode every time I use the car...?

So you're not having the front suspension noise?
What is the suspension noise? Is it introduced in March builds? There’s some rattling noise on my McU2 X and sometimes when I make turns. I am feeling it’s the suspension.

Yes, I can confirm the energy savings feature is no longer available. I also experienced this and double checked with my DS who advised they did away with it, for now, however it could come back with an update.

Thanks for confirming that. I have also found the "Commute Advice" option is gone too. Found out the hard way driving to work when I ended up in a traffic jam. My S would offer to re-route even if I wasn't using Nav. I thought I'd just forgotten to turn it on, but found those options missing too.

The on-board Owner's Manual still shows these features and how to use them... which is doubly confusing!

But Summon works from the key fob?

I also have an apple watch and it sounds like I'll have to put that in airplane mode every time I use the car...?

So you're not having the front suspension noise?
I’ve had my MS75D for three weeks now, with the new MCU2 and the only issues I have are the lack of summon from the app (the fob works perfectly for this though) and I can’t do the reset with the double scroll wheel push. I currently have 10.6, just for information.

I don’t know anything about the suspension. Can you expound on that? I haven’t noticed anything abnormal with mine.

My wife has told me that my speaker is horrible and she can’t hear me very well when I try calling from my iPhone. I had an acura before this and she said it was way better to hear from. I guess I’ll have to try the Apple Watch airplane mode and see if that makes a difference.

Thought I would post an accounting of the issues I've discovered on my 1 week old X 100D with the new MCU. Curious to know how universal these issues are. FWIW, I'm on Firmware 2018.10.6.

• Can't re-boot with scroll wheels after 10.6. Did work with whatever software the car was delivered with.
  • Keyboard is often popped up for no reason. Have to tap screen to minimize it.
  • WiFi doesn't always work (initializing).
  • WiFi was a real hassle to get going at my house; seems to be able to connect there now.
  • WiFi will not connect to other networks that my Model S had no trouble with (my office, for example).
  • Keep getting "Set Up your WiFi" message even though my home is set up.
  • FM HD Radio does not work. Primary channel works, but 2 and 3 show up but won't tune in.
  • All sound periodically cuts out. Stereo, turn signals etc.
  • Energy Savings options are gone.
  • Commute Advice option gone from the Nav system.
  • Does not always remember charging amps by location (I like to keep it dialed down a bit at home).
  • Spontaneously created and switched to user profile "Profile 2". When I re-selected my own profile, some settings were changed.
  • Yesterday, car started with center screen black. Had to do a "Power Off" and let the car re-initialize to get the dash working again.
I hope Tesla can address these issues and those that others are having with the new MCU asap.

Thought I would post an accounting of the issues I've discovered on my 1 week old X 100D with the new MCU. Curious to know how universal these issues are. FWIW, I'm on Firmware 2018.10.6.

• Can't re-boot with scroll wheels after 10.6. Did work with whatever software the car was delivered with.
  • Keyboard is often popped up for no reason. Have to tap screen to minimize it.
  • WiFi doesn't always work (initializing).
  • WiFi was a real hassle to get going at my house; seems to be able to connect there now.
  • WiFi will not connect to other networks that my Model S had no trouble with (my office, for example).
  • Keep getting "Set Up your WiFi" message even though my home is set up.
  • FM HD Radio does not work. Primary channel works, but 2 and 3 show up but won't tune in.
  • All sound periodically cuts out. Stereo, turn signals etc.
  • Energy Savings options are gone.
  • Commute Advice option gone from the Nav system.
  • Does not always remember charging amps by location (I like to keep it dialed down a bit at home).
  • Spontaneously created and switched to user profile "Profile 2". When I re-selected my own profile, some settings were changed.
  • Yesterday, car started with center screen black. Had to do a "Power Off" and let the car re-initialize to get the dash working again.
I hope Tesla can address these issues and those that others are having with the new MCU asap.
Have you reported all these issues to Tesla?
Either by calling ‭1 (877) 798-3752‬ [(877) 79TESLA] or via the support link in your MyTesla Account?
If not, please do so to increase visibility on these issues.

FC771BED-DB23-4892-9CBF-7FA005BB7BD8.jpeg

I wonder if this is a "feature" of the new navigation system. (Does the option disappear from MCU1 cars when they get upgraded to the new navigation system?)

Could be. The only difference I notice with the nav are the maps on the center dash are improved and the audible prompts are in a "new" voice. The options on the 17" screen to set up a route are the same old ones, only now minus the Commute Advice switch.

Updated to 2018.14 last night and today I experienced something new. I could open and close my FWDs with the fob but there was no woosh sounds. I couldn’t control any door on the touchscreen and I also couldn’t put the car is D as the lower right just says “Car Off”. Luckily I was able to reboot the system with the scroll wheels which fixed it or I’d be stranded with my wife and kids at the park.

Last edited:
BTW, summon not fixed for me on 10.14, in case anybody is wondering

My summon never worked for me using the app since picking up the car a month ago (3/28) but works with the fob on 10.6.

Fast forward to my week of updates 2 weeks ago to 10.12 > develop 10.14.2 > 10.14.2 all within a 5 day period. After the develop 10.14.2 update, not only did my summon using fob stopped working, summon parking stopped working as well. Summon parking was working on 10.6 and 10.12. I really hope Tesla gets this fixed soon.

My summon never worked for me using the app since picking up the car a month ago (3/28) but works with the fob on 10.6.

Fast forward to my week of updates 2 weeks ago to 10.12 > develop 10.14.2 > 10.14.2 all within a 5 day period. After the develop 10.14.2 update, not only did my summon using fob stopped working, summon parking stopped working as well. Summon parking was working on 10.6 and 10.12. I really hope Tesla gets this fixed soon.
Interestring, there are definitely a whole bunch of connectivity issues going on beyond even summon it seems. The worst part is up here in Canada the fob summon will never work due to regulations, so even if that's fixed it won't help! Looking forward to trying the world's largest remote controlled car when this finally works...