Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New member: All Warranties are over, time to start having fun.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Community!

I am brand new to this community, so I am going to lurk for a while but I thought I would post an intro. I have a 2015 Model S 85D Premium everything, no sunroof. I have had numerous issues:

• Replaced all window regulators
  • replaced both front half-shafts
  • replaced two door handles
  • replace rear motor

I am at 80k miles and still love my car, regardless of the numerous issues, and annoyances. I have to have the front right half shaft replaced, (AGAIN!) and I am considering doing it myself. I am finding a lot of service manuals floating around, etc. and stumbled upon things such as "Rooting", (I fully understand the term, need to understand the process), and other modifications people are working on. Since I am now out of warranty, it's time to dabble in the dark arts of Tesla ownership hacking. Things I want to do,

• Install driving recording camera since I cannot use the built-in dashcam software
  • Look to options for upgrading from 3g to 4g antenna
  • Look for other fun modifications
  • Understand what "rooting" your MCU will provide.
I am not looking forward to pouring over the thousands of threads, but I am looking forward to having some fun!

Thank you all for your contributions to the forum, see you in the forums.

Sean.

• Install driving recording camera since I cannot use the built-in dashcam software
  • Look to options for upgrading from 3g to 4g antenna
  • Look for other fun modifications
  • Understand what "rooting" your MCU will provide.

So....I wouldn't say all your warranties are expired, you should still have battery and motor warranty for 8 years/125k miles.

1. As for your list, dash cam has been discussed before and you should be able to do this fairly easily. I have a dual camera system, pending installation.

2. 3g to 4g, again, research this, as it may not be advantageous. Mines 4g, but still seems slow. I also read on here that it's not worth the upgrade. Disclaimer, I have ZERO experience with 3g.

3. I added some LED lighting, still looking for better floor mats, added wheel locks, and pending dash cam. Thought about adding wheels and lowering, but not sure. I'm kinda getting too old for that. No exhaust, intake, header mods. :)

4. No knowledge or experience here, looking forward to hear about it. I mean, I know it's like jailbreaking, but I don't know the nuances.

Reactions: rickyjb
welcome ,

I found the 4g upgrade here in the UK to work quite well for the streaming services but not so much for the maps and navigation and browser. as i understand it these are mcu 1 limitations .

As for interior mods id suggest a hdmi interface box , intercepts the rear view camera signal to add the ability of using the main screen to display a hdmi signal from any device ( chromecast in my case ).

also worth a mention is a great looking interior lighting mod ive seen here: A little interior lighting mod

Best of luck , let us know what you are leaning towards.

Reactions: Zishan