Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New member, and a few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just ordered a new SR+ Model 3 to replace the car I had for my daily commute.

Googled Tesla forum Canada and this is the first link that popped up. So here I'm and just want to say hi to everyone!

As much excitement as the move from ICE to EV is, I think it brings more questions than the usual car shopping, so I was hoping to take this opportunity to get some things out of the way.

1. I'm in BC, how do the rebates work exactly? From the reading of it, everything is done at the dealer level. So when I pick up the car and do the financing paperwork, will the rebate be applied right there and then? And if they are applied at delivery, are they a before/after tax rebate (both BC and Fed)?

2. I'll add a Nema 14-50 connector to the garage as wife gets to drive a non-Tesla EV from time to time and a Nema seems to be the more flexible option. However, Is the 14-50 Tesla home charger gone? I could find mentions of it, but can't find on Tesla shop. Is it something off-menu?

Any comment is appreciated!

2. I'll add a Nema 14-50 connector to the garage as wife gets to drive a non-Tesla EV from time to time and a Nema seems to be the more flexible option. However, Is the 14-50 Tesla home charger gone? I could find mentions of it, but can't find on Tesla shop. Is it something off-menu?

I don't know about the SR+ but the LR included the 14-50 adapter. You should be able to buy it or others in the store.

I don't know about the SR+ but the LR included the 14-50 adapter. You should be able to buy it or others in the store.

I think they no longer include this. But I was referring to the Tesla Home Wall charger. A Nema 14-50 version popped up earlier 2019 as opposed to the hardwire version, but I can't seem to find that at the Shop page. So I'm wondering if anyone had any luck getting it from the service center.

Related thought - I use a NEMA 14-50 outlet with the mobile charger (using the NEMA 14-50 adapter). I thought people indicated that best practice is to not unplug the adapter from the NEMA 14-50 outlet often. In my case, I leave it plugged into the outlet at all times and purchased a second 14-50 adapter for the very few times I might go on a road trip and need to take my mobile charger with me.

Reactions: Ol'Blue
you might want to get a charger that plugs into the NEMA 14-50 but has a J1772 end assuming thats what the other EV can use and just use the J1772 to tesla adapter

That could be an option, but a quick look, they aren't cheap either. As the Tesla will be the primary user, we'd just get the Tesla one and use the Nema when the other EV comes home.

The main concern is, if we go the J1772 route, wouldn't the charging speed take a hit?

you might want to get a charger that plugs into the NEMA 14-50 but has a J1772 end assuming thats what the other EV can use and just use the J1772 to tesla adapter

The J1772 adapter works fine, and that's how we use our Flo EVSE to charge our M3. However if you are charging a Tesla much more than an EV with a J1772, the Tesla wall or portable EVSE would be more convenient.

Nema 14-50 adaptor was included with the gen 1 UMC, new model 3s now come with gen 2 UMC which does not come with nema 14-50 adaptor included. Delivery manager told me to order it from the tesla shop online, if it doesnt arrive by the time i take delivery, just buy one from the service center and cancel the online order.

My $0.02

Install a NEMA 14-50 plug, buy the 14-50 adapter for the mobile connector, and be done with it.

Keep the J1772 adapter in your car so you can charge from other L2 station but leave your mobile connector plugged in at home. If you are going on a trip and will need the mobile connector, then unplug it and bring it with you, but I expect this will be rare.

My $0.02

Install a NEMA 14-50 plug, buy the 14-50 adapter for the mobile connector, and be done with it.

Keep the J1772 adapter in your car so you can charge from other L2 station but leave your mobile connector plugged in at home. If you are going on a trip and will need the mobile connector, then unplug it and bring it with you, but I expect this will be rare.

This is exactly what we've decided to do. I also splurged on the $33 Cable Organizer from Tesla.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
So I just ordered a new SR+ Model 3 to replace the car I had for my daily commute.

Googled Tesla forum Canada and this is the first link that popped up. So here I'm and just want to say hi to everyone!

As much excitement as the move from ICE to EV is, I think it brings more questions than the usual car shopping, so I was hoping to take this opportunity to get some things out of the way.

1. I'm in BC, how do the rebates work exactly? From the reading of it, everything is done at the dealer level. So when I pick up the car and do the financing paperwork, will the rebate be applied right there and then? And if they are applied at delivery, are they a before/after tax rebate (both BC and Fed)?

Welcome! Congratulations!!

Just picked up our 3 on Tuesday, from the West 4th location in Vancouver.

Rebate on Tuesday was $10,000 after tax - ie, you pay tax on the full amount of the car, and then get $10,000 taken off the total owing. Balance is drawing down on the fund, probably will be replenished but you never know.

In order to qualify for the full rebate, remember it has to be a Model 3 (since that model has at least one version that lists under $45,000) and the total before extras has to be under $55,000. The 75 (bigger battery) models will not qualify I don't think. The 50s will. They ignore extras like paint, interior colour etc so you can go over on that and still get the rebate.

Oddly enough, the night before pickup we were scrambling to get a NEMA 14-50 adapter (we ordered on May 28 and got a June 3 pickup date, thought it was wrong). Put in an order on the Tesla website, not expecting anything for weeks. Came home the next night with two 14-50 adapters. Go to the West 4th location and ask about them, batches show up randomly, a batch showed up Tuesday morning same day we got our 3.

There were 6 ICBC insurance people processing about a dozen deliveries when we were there, I was told there would be 12 ICBC people there this weekend.

Wow that seems pretty quick, what was your spec?

Yeah, we were in shock, expecting it would be July before anything arrived.

We ordered a 3SR+ Blue/White - it was the Blue/White that did it, I think if we had gone Black/Black we would have been waiting much longer.

Began the order on May 25 but forgot to submit it until May 28. Next day we got some notice about taking delivery on June 4 but had been told that would change to a much later date.

I work downtown, so on May 31 I went to the Robson street location to talk to them about getting supercharger miles, they told me "yeah, it will be at least a month" but when they asked me the colour combo, their eyes lit up and they said 4 or 5 had just come in for some reason. They looked the VIN up and their tracking showed in their China town lot, so it was already here in Vancouver.

Was originally told Powell street for pickup, but then told they were overwhelmed at that location so we picked up on June 4 (not the 3rd, got my dates mixed up) at West 4th location. Was expecting to be there several hours, but were done in about 90 minutes (and we spent an extra 15 minutes in the garage talking to the guys about things on the car). Ended up with two 15-40 adapters but I guess that is another story.

I too ordered a black/black.

However, when I called to the West 4th location, they told me they had some grey/white with upgraded wheel if I wanted quick delivery.

Wife didn't agree to the color so we had to pass. But that'd be your best bet if you wanted something quick.

• Love
Reactions: MexiCanuck
The BC and Fed rebates come off the bill directly when you pay at pick up. Super easy. This will show on your purchase agreement online which will spear 1 week before your delivery date. (mine is next Friday!)
14-50 is no longer offered for the SR+, get it on Tesla Shop. Low supply.

Also u need to have the vehicle insured in bc for a minimum one year and also no transfer title for minimum one year. This is what I been told. You also need to sign some paper saying you fully understand the conditions for these rebates. Plus you can only receive one vehicle rebate per calendar year period.

This is exactly what we've decided to do. I also splurged on the $33 Cable Organizer from Tesla.
Something to note: keep an eye on you’re UNC while doing this. During the winter it can freeze up (the push button on the handle) since it’s not weather proof, only weather resistant. I ran into this after about a year of use, and decided to upgrade to the HPWC.