Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New member brucesurf has a question about charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first post and am a new MS 85D owner. Having lots of fun driving the new toy but wonder why Tesla Australia doesn't have an adaptor to plug into 3 phase power on a road trip. I would think that caravan parks, marinas and other businesses would have 3 phase, or am I missing something here? Interested in any comments or advice.

Sorry for not researching this but does the portable charger have the ability to feed off 3 phases? If so and as long as there are no proprietary plugs involved that cannot be obtained, then just get an electrician to make you one. Ask them to tag it too so you don't have to deal with questions regarding safety (well less maybe?).

Btw welcome, I'm a new member too.

Welcome to the forum brucesurfs and cograts on the 85D,

If you have time I would read the thread Mobile-charging-for-Australia as it has the full story.

The summary is that aftermarket solutions are available or you can purchase a European spec 3 phase adapter for the Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) that came with your car. You then need to make up an adapter to convert from the red European plug to the Australian equivalent that is called a Clipsal 56P532 plug.

The full Tesla solution will be specific Australian adapters for the UMC, that are "Coming Soon" which can mean anything really.

p.s You can only take full advantage of 3 phase if you have dual chargers installed in your car.

Thanks Telepilot. I assume that 3 phase is the same as the Super charger in regard amps, so I think a qualified electrician should be able to make something to adapt, but I see some more advice on that from meloccom.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you meloccom. That's very helpful and I will read the thread you suggested.
I will consider having a dual charger installed, and let the forum know how I go.

No problem, melocomm is in the know. I would ague that by "make up" means either you or whoever makes the adapter is actually qualified electrician or has a cert 3 electrical qualification. Otherwise you open yourself up to potential problems should there be any smoke.

Little known fact: electronics need smoke to work properly so it's no good if you see any escaping! [emoji6]

Thanks Telepilot. I assume that 3 phase is the same as the Super charger in regard amps, so I think a qualified electrician should be able to make something to adapt, but I see some more advice on that from meloccom.
3 phase AC power is nothing like a Supercharger. A Model S can take 16 amps 3 phase per on-board charger for a maximum AC charging rate of 23kW. A Supercharger goes up to 120kW per vehicle.

Guys, guys, there is a lot of detailed info on the thread mentioned by meloccom. the 3 phase adaptor is available from Tesla for $130. You then need to purchase a European in-line connector which plugs into that. Finally, you need to purchase an Australian 3 phase plug usually 32 amp but a second 20 amp plug may also be required. Finally, you need an electrician to wire up the in line connector to the plug. (If you have any electrical skills, it is not hard to do, just use 6mm square wire 5 core for the connection.
Regardless of the socket you use, the universal connector that comes with your car can only accept a maximum of 16 amps per phase. Which, as Ray says will give you approx 50km per hour. However, the 3 phase adaptor from Tesla can also be wired single phase so you can also make up a 15amp adaptor, which will give you approx 15 or 16 km/hour. You get 10km per hour with the 10amp adaptor the cord comes with.
So, with the one Tesla adaptor, you can make up a full range options single as well as 3 phase, but of course, each one needs its own in line connector, and wire/plug. Personally, i have a 15 amp single phase, a 3 phase 32 amp, and a 20 amp 3 phase made up this way, and they all work.
If you buy the Australian plugs from a retailer they are wickedly expensive like $150 or so EACH, BUT on eBay, they are available a hell of a lot cheaper. The in line connector you get from Uniquip in WA who have free shipping and they are relatively inexpensive at around $44 incl GST. Raynewman in the thread mentioned provides a link which takes you to the correct one for purpose, but essentially it is red, 16amp 5 pin.

We need a thank function in this forum. Very true about electrical fittings, on eBay or other online sources you will often pay half or even a fraction of the prices quoted by electrical wholesalers. Same applies to high amperage wall outlets, best to buy what you need first and then organise an electrician to do the work.

Cable on the other hand is rarely needed by the roll so you'll need to call around wholesalers to find who has what you're after and is willing to sell by the metre. Bit of a hassle though so probably far easier to let your electrician supply even with their margins. I've got a mountain of various cable off cuts put aside for the scrap dealer and I'd suspect most electricians have the same.

That statement is wrong! The Tesla 3 phase adaptor works with the single charger. It draws 16 AMP 3 phase and charges at (typical) 50 KmH.

Quote from the Teslamotors website. "Model S comes standard with a single on-board charger, allowing charging of up to 50km/h. Adding a second on-board charger will enable you to charge at a rate of up to 110km/h. This needs to be installed at a Tesla Service Centre".
So as I said you can't take 'full' advantage of 3 phase charging unless you have dual chargers.
This is a complex topic that I was trying to summarise, I just didn't want the OP to spend thousands installing 3 phase in his house then more on a 3 phase charger only to get 50 Km/h charge rate when he was expecting more.

Hi All

Since we're all talking about AMP's and such just wondering if someone could answer me this:

I have a 4 wire (electrician just ran it specially for the car) 40AMP circuit that I have set the car with the 40AMP/32AMP draw on the dip switches....what will be my effective KM/H charge rate be (assuming the cable is all okay etc. etc.).

Thanks

-ECIT

Hi All

Since we're all talking about AMP's and such just wondering if someone could answer me this:

I have a 4 wire (electrician just ran it specially for the car) 40AMP circuit that I have set the car with the 40AMP/32AMP draw on the dip switches....what will be my effective KM/H charge rate be (assuming the cable is all okay etc. etc.).

Thanks

-ECIT

At 40A probably around 42-45km/range per hour depending on the voltage.