Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Member getting ready for Model S P100D Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Tesla owners.

A quick introduction is in order.
I’ve been interested in the Model S since they were introduced over 5 years ago. Beautiful machines! I almost purcased one in 2015, but was hesitant due to limited superchargers and service centers in our area.

Then my brother purchased a 2015 Model S 75 last year in Delaware. He LOVES his so much that he’s now been harping on me to purchase one.

Well, with my questions being answered by my bro....and after years of Tesla watching plus research, My wife and I finally purchased one. It’s a preowned 2016 MODEL S P100D with 14,500 Miles. I’ll be driving it from Minneapolis to Pittsburgh (a 17 hour road trip). The drive will start Monday, April 9th and end on Tuesday April 10th.

Any advice from the experts here to pass on to a new (to me) Tesla owner?

Again, great to be here.

Attachments

• 8DD0DFB8-6AF0-4272-A543-FF10E11F894F.jpeg
    8DD0DFB8-6AF0-4272-A543-FF10E11F894F.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 261CF5DC-F18C-4828-81CB-9680E223B2E1.jpeg
    261CF5DC-F18C-4828-81CB-9680E223B2E1.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 58
  • D8BE2F1A-5BA3-4ED1-A059-BA27E37F5459.jpeg
    D8BE2F1A-5BA3-4ED1-A059-BA27E37F5459.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 54
Welcome aboard!!!

There are several EV trip planners available. This ones pretty good. It will give you some idea where you will need to be charging approximate charge times.
EV Trip Planner

Finding the exact locations of Superchargers can be a challenge for newcomers. I would add the PlugShare app to your phone. Users add pictures and information about the Supercharger sites which may give you some landmarks to help locate them in relation to business’s etc. Also some information on amenities that would be there. You will quickly learn the method to the madness.

It’s Extremely.......rare that would charge over 90% it wastes to much time. Mostly between 80-20%.

Keep range mode OFF....... enjoy your heat and air conditioner.

We like to run this on the bottom half of the screen. It can give you wind speed, wind direction in relation to the car and elevation. That’s in addition to normal Waze traffic alerts.

Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information

Enjoy the car!!! It should be a fun trip.

Welcome aboard!!!

There are several EV trip planners available. This ones pretty good. It will give you some idea where you will need to be charging approximate charge times.
EV Trip Planner

Finding the exact locations of Superchargers can be a challenge for newcomers. I would add the PlugShare app to your phone. Users add pictures and information about the Supercharger sites which may give you some landmarks to help locate them in relation to business’s etc. Also some information on amenities that would be there. You will quickly learn the method to the madness.

It’s Extremely.......rare that would charge over 90% it wastes to much time. Mostly between 80-20%.

Keep range mode OFF....... enjoy your heat and air conditioner.

We like to run this on the bottom half of the screen. It can give you wind speed, wind direction in relation to the car and elevation. That’s in addition to normal Waze traffic alerts.

Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information

Enjoy the car!!! It should be a fun trip.

That is great information,olderthandirt. I did use the Tesla trip planner but was not familiar with those other resources available. I’ll definitely check them out.

Thank you!

Congrats and welcome, beautiful car!
There are lots of threads on here about road trip advice, browse around and you will find lots of great tips.

The one thing I would be mindful of, picking up in Minnesota you will likely be in some cooler weather, this does have a dramatic effect on your range, so keep that in mind when gauging your charging levels. You likely won't have any issues getting from one SC to the next with the 100, but just didn't want you to think there is something wrong with tour car. You might read up on some cold weather threads just in case.

Have a great trip, it will be awesome!

Congrats and welcome, beautiful car!
There are lots of threads on here about road trip advice, browse around and you will find lots of great tips.

The one thing I would be mindful of, picking up in Minnesota you will likely be in some cooler weather, this does have a dramatic effect on your range, so keep that in mind when gauging your charging levels. You likely won't have any issues getting from one SC to the next with the 100, but just didn't want you to think there is something wrong with tour car. You might read up on some cold weather threads just in case.

Have a great trip, it will be awesome!

Thanks Sprandt23.
I was browsing the forum last night about that. Looks like I should plan on a Safety buffet of at least 50 miles between Superchargers since it may be cold.

Great stuff here!