Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New member....hopefully new owner too in Chicago area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. This is my first post.

My wife and I put what I thought was supposed to be a $5k deposit down this past Monday at the Old Orchard Tesla store on a P85+, tech package, sound package, pano roof, CF spoiler, Obeche Gloss, HPWC, SC, and Twin Chargers. Delivery is for July.

When asked for our deposit, they took only $2500.

Right now, we've got the car configured for black on black with silver wheels. I'm still waffling on paint...wife really likes the pearl white, I like the brown and the red. I also want to like the dark blue.... we chose black because of the 'all around-ness' black provides (elegance for going out on the town yet sportiness when car is hunkered down on low setting and on the highway).

On my way home from O'Hare today (as I was driving my gas guzzling 2012 Tacoma), I caught up to a P85 in black with 21" silver wheels. I LOVED it. I followed it, surprisingly, to my exit like a puppy dog. After seeing it in the wild, I think we may be keeping or order configured with black paint. (also, apologies to 619EL (driver of the black P85) for coming off as a wacko when we got a quick chat).

Why the Tesla Model S for us? I'm a car guy...currently we own two S2000s, an IS350, and a Tacoma. We've also owned BMW 3 series, Lexus GS430, and a handful of other Hondas. They are all normal-ish cars, but have been great platforms to make them interesting. I've modified all of them from one extreme to another. The Model S is a VERY interesting car from the get-go. Sure there's no gas to fill up, no oil changes to be done....but the car is beautiful; the technology is engaging, and the fact that an American car company is making moves like they are (a new one at that)....how can I not buy this car?

Also, another thing that excites me about this car is this community. From lurking, this community is reminding me of the buzz and camaraderie that the S2000 forum had back in 2000 when the car first came out. I hope to post pics of our new Model S in the next month...until then, all I have is this
URL]

944249_10151702519613413_1769080843_n.jpg

That's my wife's foot and shoe captured in the shot. I forced her to wear her normal shoes for her test drive....seeing that she'll be the main driver day to day. If the car pans out to be everything we hope it to be for us, I'll be putting an order in for the Model X as well. She can have the X, I'll have the S. I think I'm going to have to make room in the garage, anyone interested in buying an IS350?

- - - Updated - - -

Also wanted to point out something I saw on my wife's test drive with the P85 at the Skokie store....the car had a 'jack' function. I know when I test drove the same car only a couple weeks prior, that function wasn't there. I'm sure that the mechanicals weren't on the car, but the sales associate described to be that new production cars would be outfitted with pneumatic jack systems on the chassis of the car (think LeMans cars). The car would be able to lift a corner off the ground for wheel changes, controlled from the center console.

Anyone have more info/detail on this feature?

Welcome to the forum! And congrats on the new reservation. This new jack feature sounds awesome! We were planning on keeping this car for a long time, but with all the new features being introduced we may end up trading in and up sometime sooner.

Congratulations, now the condition of "Teslainsomnia" begins... :smile:
As for the "Jack" function, I think whoever told you that was somewhat misinformed. That function is to stop the air suspension from moving when jacking up the car to remove the wheels. If the car isn't equipped with air suspension then that option doesn't show up on the touch screen (the other air suspension settings will also be missing).
There is no talk of having built in jacks for the car.

Also wanted to point out something I saw on my wife's test drive with the P85 at the Skokie store....the car had a 'jack' function. I know when I test drove the same car only a couple weeks prior, that function wasn't there. I'm sure that the mechanicals weren't on the car, but the sales associate described to be that new production cars would be outfitted with pneumatic jack systems on the chassis of the car (think LeMans cars). The car would be able to lift a corner off the ground for wheel changes, controlled from the center console.

Anyone have more info/detail on this feature?
First I've heard of it. I wish you had taken a picture.

Ahhhh.....maybe that's what the sales associate was trying to explain...I heard what I wanted to hear because having integrated jack system would be tres cool! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the invite....I'm member #67. Just got confirmed Monday night. On a positive note, I just checked MyTesla page and see that my order is going in on June 9th. When I first inquired on purchasing, the lead time was anywhere from 61 to 90 days. When we put our deposit down we were told 4 to 6 weeks....any reason why order fulfillment time period is/was cut in half?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and BTW, Yeah Hawks...what a great finish. 3 straight wins to overcome a 1-3 series and to win despite a bad call negating a goal!