Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Member Intro

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Hi all!
I'm a new member here, but long time follower of Tesla. Like many I maintained cautious skepticism about the likelihood of Tesla's success and actual development of anything beyond a few hundred Roadsters.

Well, lo and behold here comes the Model S/Whitestar. As a father of 3 the roadster was both too pricy and too small/impractical for me. The Model S will be perfect.

I was an early Gen 2 Prius buyer and absolutely love the technologic aspects of the Prius and hybrid and EVs. I think we can be oil free in the future and need to be nearly fossil fuel free in the coming decades.

While I'd love to get my Model S TOMORROW, the timing for release actually works out almost perfectly for me. In Aug. 2010 I'll be selling my Prius as my family and I leave for a 9 month sabbatical, returning to the US in Spring of 2011. When we return we'll begin construction on a "green" home using a hybrid of solar, wind, geothermal, and passive energy. Thus, I hope that I'll never never spend a penny to charge my Model S at home nor create an ounce of CO2 or pollution to charge it. I won't miss never stopping at a stinky gas station again!

As far as I'm concerned Tesla has hit a home run with the design of the Model S, a luxury family vehicle that's got plenty of cargo room and is a pure EV. The flexibility of battery range allows people to select based upon their budget and needs. While it still falls in a price range outside the reach of the average family, success of this car opens so many doors for lower priced vehicles everyone can afford.

I'm glad to part of the birth of a new American auto manufacturer!

Welcome Evan! I'm afraid I don't have the post count to officially welcome you, but I've been here since almost the beginning and would like to say that we're glad you joined us!

Go Tesla!

EDIT: Maybe one of the Moderators/Admins could start a New Users area...?

Last edited:
Welcome Evan! I'm afraid I don't have the post count to officially welcome you, but I've been here since almost the beginning and would like to say that we're glad you joined us!

Go Tesla!

EDIT: Maybe one of the Moderators/Admins could start a New Users area...?

A newbie area is always a good idea, particularly when there's an anticipation of rapid growth. I think the Model S may just provide that as it's a big step in moving Tesla out of the niche vehicle market.

Well I already know Evan and Darell from PriusChat.com so I can officially welcome them to TeslaMotorsClub.com.

I have a feeling that our active membership will likely triple in the coming years. There are a lot more people willing to put down a deposit on the Model S than the Roadster.

I'm sure that the Super Mods; Doug, TEG and VFX will be along any moment but welcome from me too; I've been here for a few months and have found everyone to be very chatty.

Traffic to the site is climbing at a pace; I look after the servers and in the last few weeks alone traffic has already gone up, throw in a Model S and we're off!

The S seems to have ordinary folk talking; the Roadster started people talking about BEV's beyond the golf cart whilst the S hits the mainstream. I've already decided that I've bought my last new petrol car.

Once you get going and get the ev bug though; I've just picked up an '05 Honda Insight to replace my JCW MINI that'll go as soon as I can find a buyer... And the Insight will be the gas hog once the Roadster arrives!

MPT

I'm sure that the Super Mods; Doug, TEG and VFX will be along any moment

I've already commented elsewhere that Darrel's colorful writing style is a welcome bit of fresh air on these pages. And how could we not love someone with EV right in their name!
(also looking at you Kevin) Welcome!

PS
I am not "super" or a mod, Just an opinionated loudmouth without any other forums.

Heh... Well you're a welcome annoyance, Darell.
That's the nicest thing anybody has said about me all week!

I've already commented elsewhere that Darrel's colorful writing style is a welcome bit of fresh air on these pages.
Uh-oh. I must have missed it... but shucks, am glad to hear it! I know that sometimes I can get a bit *too* colorful, and I hope nobody hesitates to call me on it. :) I find it comical when I look at how I write on different forums. On regular gas-car forums, I often talk up the Prius. On Prius forums, I talk up EVs, and on EVs forums, I point out all the faults of EVs. Basically, I'm impossible to please. This place is great because there's no burning need to waste time supporting EVs - we can spend effort just on discussing them and working toward fixing the faults. As an EV driver I don't feel like some crazy guy who sticks out. I'm just one of the crazy crowd here!

And how could we not love someone with EV right in their name!
(also looking at you Kevin) Welcome!
I have an EV friend who now signs everything stEVe. Took me a while to figure out why he was being silly with the caps. I can be a bit obtuse sometimes.

LOL! I never really noticed that before... Maybe a license plate?
At least start signing "EVan."

* EVnut (not a moderator...yet?) (Are you buying a Tesla?)
Oops missed this...
I am not, as of right now, on any Tesla waiting list. Judging by how this process has gone to date, the Bluestar is going to be my ideal car. Don't know that I can wait that long though, as the Rav is getting long in the tooth at 6.5 years old now. The S is a phenominal piece of machinery. Something I'd be THRILLED to own. And at the same time, it is just way the hell too much car for me. I don't WANT a big car. The Prius, for me, is even a bit big. The Rav4EV is about ideal - except for the silly "mini SUV" configuration.

So I'm a huge supporter of Tesla - always have been. And it could well be that an S is in my future. As it stands right now, I'm just doing whatever I can to keep the Rav4EV driving forever.

I think I am in the same boat as you.
Would love a Roadster, but can't afford it.
Could stretch (nearly to breaking) to get a Model S, but it is "too much car" for me like you said.
I will keep using my Ranger EV, and Lexus IS, until a suitable replacement comes along. Bluestar, MiEV, SmartE, BYD, Miles, ???

Last edited:
A little update.
I got my call from a nice guy named Kevin Daly with Tesla in Chicago who will be my rep. He confirmed that my reservation is in and that I was one of the first 400 who signed up in the initial 24 hours when they started taking reservations.

He also said that official numbers will be out later this week, but they expect that they'll have 1000 reservations in the first week!!
(I'll duplicate this post in the "Who's ordered" thread.

Great sig, EVan!

It will be interesting to hear the number of orders once the dust settles. Man, just thinking about this whole Tesla business still gives me goosebumps. This is, after all, what I've been working toward for 10+ years. We actually have a company making and selling *real* EVs again. Not because they have to, but because there is more demand than product.