Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Member Looking for a Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would question why a dealer has the car, that being said the trade in is so poor from Tesla I’m not surprised they are making their way to dealers. Most cars have a fairly decent documented history and can be found here. While it may be of little importance to you, a salvaged title will yield minimal to no help from Tesla so your reduced to 3rd party parts which may or may not be enough. Brakes and suspension is available with a considerable improvement for a lot less money. Some would say actually a necessity rather than an upgrade. Charging accessories are nice to have from the getup and are well documented, a Can Sr at the least gives you access to all tesla stations other than the superchargers, while the Jr gives you the rest. Same goes with 240v chargers, the UMC240 is not known for reliability, where as the Tesla s/x/3 is slightly lower amps and brings slightly better results, again you need your Can Sr for that.
210-220 on range is pretty good and should see you for many miles to come, at least that’s what we are all hoping for.
The can while nice is over priced. Found this on the Web option at Quick Charge Power | Featured Products. Maybe mute for me if Tesla doesn't come out with another battery back.

Overpriced! Engineering alone despite the lack of cable to worry about. The CAN is superior in pretty much every way. Both connectors have been discussed exhaustively on the forum here. $340 and then having to use an adaptor for 1772 works if you don’t want to spend the extra money. Convienence, space and asthetics all play a huge roll in my life. The stub will work but I also like the workmanship in the CAN’s.

The can while nice is over priced. Found this on the Web option at Quick Charge Power | Featured Products. Maybe mute for me if Tesla doesn't come out with another battery back.
Not sure which Featured Product you're referring to, but I don't think QCP has any Roadster-specific charging products other than the limited edition CHAdeMO adpater. Any of the J1772 charging products will still need an adapter to plug into the Roadster. In fact, if you scroll down to the JDapter picture, it appears that the Roadster is being charged through one. Even Tony uses it.

I have to agree with X.l.r.8. Both CAN Adapters are very well made (I have both), and have never let me down. They're the perfect size. I keep the CAN-JR in the CAN Holder (aka Cup holder) for easy access.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Summers here in Santa Barbara are usually pretty mild...max around 90, maybe a couple days in the 100's. How exactly do you do the cool down cycle?

The tire/road noise I was getting was due in large part to under inflated fronts...they were down to 25psi. I increased to 32 and seems much better. But, the tire noise is much louder when going from asphalt to concrete...just keep reminding myself, this is a sports car and not a daily driver. Sorry, but what is an OVMS?

Yeah, I'll probably stick to 240V @ 24A (I installed the 240V last w/e)...I'm not in a big hurry, and whatever I can do to extend the life of the battery. How do you charge in storage mode and get 80-100 miles daily? When I charge in that mode, it limits it to around 50 miles. If I keep it in standard mode and only drive it a couple times a week, is it OK to always have the battery "topped off"?

I ended up trading the Ferrari straight across...not a single dollar changed hands. Both were advertised at $50k and IMO both were valued in the mid 40's. But Brad at San Francisco Sports Cars made it happen w/o me having to do anything. He trailered the Roadster down and then took the 308 up with him. I can not recommend him enough.

Again, thanks everyone for their input...I'm learning a lot.
240v / 24a is what I charge at also. Plenty of juice to recharge the car overnight, and a lot of options on the "charger" to choose from. I'm using the 40 amp OpenEVSE, with a J1772 adapter for the Roadster.

I believe Storage mode is intended for long-term storage - months or more, not days. If you drive the car once a week or so, just leave it plugged in on standard charge, and drive it as you want. The full standard charge is only 83% of actual capacity, so battery longevity is fine. Standard charge also keeps the battery cells balanced, which you don't get with Storage mode.

As X.l.r.8 noted, "battery cooldown" is simply putting the car in Range mode charging for a short time (30 minutes or so). What the car is doing is putting an emphasis on getting the battery temps down, so as to be able to push more energy into them. Range mode, right? Just don't forget you're doing that, and let it charge all the way up. You probably won't need to do a cooldown very often. Before I retired, I was charging only at work (it was free), so when I got home on really hot days, a quick cooldown cycle would let the car sleep at night without the coolant pump running. A full standard charge should bring the temps down enough to let it sleep too, and is probably the better approach.

Congrats on getting the Roadster. I think you'll find it's a lot more fun to drive, and could end up being your daily driver. Mine is.

Reactions: dhrivnak