Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New member...My Model 3 Performance ran 11.48

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Name is Brad and I just joined the site. I took delivery of my Model 3 Performance in late December, just in time for the tax credit! I took my M3P to the drag strip today in Sacramento and wanted to share the results. I was shocked when I saw my timeslip:
11.48 @ 117mph

That was my only run since I didn't have a fire jacket which is required if you run 11.49 or quicker. Unfortunately I don't have a video but I can upload a pic of the timeslip. I hope a vid
timeslip.JPG
eo from the bleachers will surface on YouTube.

Hello,

Name is Brad and I just joined the site. I took delivery of my Model 3 Performance in late December, just in time for the tax credit! I took my M3P to the drag strip today in Sacramento and wanted to share the results. I was shocked when I saw my timeslip:
11.48 @ 117mph

That was my only run since I didn't have a fire jacket which is required if you run 11.49 or quicker. Unfortunately I don't have a video but I can upload a pic of the timeslip. I hope a vidView attachment 511701 eo from the bleachers will surface on YouTube.

Nice!

If I was on the committee that makes the rules I would argue that drivers of all ICE cars need fire jackets since any crash risks instant fireball while EV drivers don't need one because they are much less likely to catch on fire at all and, without flammable liquids on board, it's impossible for them to erupt into an instant fireball. Batteries that catch on fire begin with a slow smolder and take many minutes to engulf the car giving the occupants time to exit the vehicle. Fire jacket not needed.

But, yeah, I doubt the rules committee will respond to reason so does the track have jackets for rent?

Reactions: ElectricGhost
Hello,

I do agree as a drag racing accident involving an EV resulting in a straight short of the pack would produce a "slow" burn as opposed to an "explosion" from gasoline/methanol. Unfortunately those are the rules and I didn't want to have to lift at half track so I didn't bother to make another pass. Not sure if that track rents fire jackets but I don't think they do, just helmets. I hope to return soo with somebody to take some video!

Reactions: StealthP3D
Last time I did a legitimate drag race was, I think, in Fremont, CA, in around 1966. I beat some big sled of a Pontiac in my '65 Chevelle (283 V8, two-speed Powerglide transmission, LOL). Took home a small trophy. Unofficial drag races...many. No trophies. And fortunately no tickets. Well, I could always use another jacket. I'll have a Tesla logo stitched on. And Tesla decals on the helmet. With any luck, the car will be a 2020 Model S Raven Performance.

Congratulations, B-Razz! :)

Reactions: RobRain
Last time I did a legitimate drag race was, I think, in Fremont, CA, in around 1966. I beat some big sled of a Pontiac in my '65 Chevelle (283 V8, two-speed Powerglide transmission, LOL). Took home a small trophy. Unofficial drag races...many. No trophies. And fortunately no tickets. Well, I could always use another jacket. I'll have a Tesla logo stitched on. And Tesla decals on the helmet. With any luck, the car will be a 2020 Model S Raven Performance.

Congratulations, B-Razz! :)

That old powerglide was a fun drive to only have two speeds. A heck of a low gear is all I can say. I'll say the same for the 283. Best small V8 of the era - although Chrysler's 318 came close. IMHO.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Some tracks have outright banned EVs by saying they don't have the proper firefighting equipment to respond in case of emergency. So I don't see this happening any time soon.....

I saw one track in Texas did that cowardly move under false pretenses. Do you know of another?

Apparently, the track was run by ICE enthusiasts who were more than a little butt-hurt that even the lowly Tesla Model 3P could decimate the gas-powered monsters they had spent so much money building up to be the fastest bad-asses around (or so they thought)! :cool:

I saw one track in Texas did that cowardly move under false pretenses. Do you know of another?

Apparently, the track was run by ICE enthusiasts who were more than a little butt-hurt that even the lowly Tesla Model 3P could decimate the gas-powered monsters they had spent so much money building up to be the fastest bad-asses around (or so they thought)! :cool:
Where abouts is that track? Pretty pathetic.

Nice! I’d love to run mine at the track. The only problem is, in my state, car insurance won’t cover any accident on the track.

I’m certainly not worried about my ability, I’m worried about the other guy’s. I’ve seen several cars lose control and take out the car next to them.... Private drag strip insurance quoted me at over $5000 a year. Anyone know of a better option to obtain coverage?