Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New member...My Model 3 Performance ran 11.48

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice!

If I was on the committee that makes the rules I would argue that drivers of all ICE cars need fire jackets since any crash risks instant fireball while EV drivers don't need one because they are much less likely to catch on fire at all and, without flammable liquids on board, it's impossible for them to erupt into an instant fireball. Batteries that catch on fire begin with a slow smolder and take many minutes to engulf the car giving the occupants time to exit the vehicle. Fire jacket not needed.

But, yeah, I doubt the rules committee will respond to reason so does the track have jackets for rent?
but that also starts right under your feet. devils advocate, you can see smoke coming from the engine area and get out just as quickly...

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
but that also starts right under your feet. devils advocate, you can see smoke coming from the engine area and get out just as quickly...

If you're lucky. In a crash you don't have that guarantee unless you are in an EV. It's really not that uncommon for gasoline-powered vehicles to turn into instant fireballs during a high-speed crash. There has never been a recorded instance of an EV doing that.

Interesting, i wouldn’t have thought there is a whole lot of strategy to driving a tesla fast in a straight line, but the difference track times seem to tell a different story, What am i missing!?

There are differences associated with the various cars as well as different tracks and weather.

Car differences include tires (including pressures), weight differences (some people don't bother to remove spare crap they carry everywhere), wheel differences (some weigh more and have a drastically higher moment of inertia), brake differences (different diameters and weights), different states of charge, different driver weights, etc.

Track differences include: Some are not perfectly level, differences of static friction (smooth surfaces are better to reduce rolling resistance), some have dips and bumps (smooth/flat track is faster), and then there is the variance in weather (cold air is denser and increases aero drag at higher speeds), crosswinds, headwinds or tailwinds, etc.

Sometimes these variables cancel each other out, other times they are additive. Net result: variance in times.

Interesting, i wouldn’t have thought there is a whole lot of strategy to driving a tesla fast in a straight line, but the difference track times seem to tell a different story, What am i missing!?

Mostly because there have been incremental OTA power increases but also SoC/battery temp can make a substantial difference. On top of all that the wheel/tire/driver/cargo weight any given driver is also a factor. I have a boosted dual motor and I'm putting down same 1/4 mile times or better as P3D's back in late 2018.

dragtimes.PNG

dragytimes.png

I noticed something the other day at a red light. With the car in “hold” mode, if you keep your foot off the accelerator and then stomp on it on green, I notice a little click in the pedal which I assume is the “hold” mechanism disengaging.
But if I very slightly apply pressure on the accelerator at a stop with “hold”, I can keep the car at standstill but when I stomp from this position, I do not notice a click.
Can anyone who either goes to a track or has the Dragy check to see if it makes any difference?
Thanks.

Car differences include tires (including pressures), weight differences (some people don't bother to remove spare crap they carry everywhere), wheel differences (some weigh more and have a drastically higher moment of inertia), brake differences (different diameters and weights), different states of charge, different driver weights, etc.

On that note, I've been wondering what would work better from a wheel/tire standpoint.

OEM 20s with PS4S. 51.5 lbs per corner, 235 width, OE aerodynamic profile.

My track wheels and tires: Hankook Ventus RS4, 265 width on 9.5" wheel +35 offset. They are 4-5 lbs lighter per corner, but wider and softer rubber, and stick out wider with less efficient aerodynamics. So less weight to get moving, but more rolling resistance and worse aerodynamics.

Seems like some of the better times I've seen have been on OE wheels and tires.

Nice! I’d love to run mine at the track. The only problem is, in my state, car insurance won’t cover any accident on the track.

I’m certainly not worried about my ability, I’m worried about the other guy’s. I’ve seen several cars lose control and take out the car next to them.... Private drag strip insurance quoted me at over $5000 a year. Anyone know of a better option to obtain coverage?

I wouldn't worry about it. I drag raced for years and never saw anything like that at a Test n Tune

I wouldn't worry about it. I drag raced for years and never saw anything like that at a Test n Tune

Normally I wouldn’t. However, I used to practically live at the drag strip. I was famous locally for my turbocharged Dodge Caravan that ran low 12s. One time during test and tune a z28 spun out and clipped my rear bumper. I’ve also seen quite a few other more serious incidents—usually caused by someone in a RWD who can’t handle the power..

Reactions: destructure00
Was this in the late 90s, early early 2000s? if so, ive seen those vids as well, and you are somewhat of an internet-car-celebrity :D

lol indeed it was. 1989 turbo Dodge Caravan. I still have the van, I’m planning to restore it. I loaned it to an idiot friend due to a family emergency and he destroyed the turbo bearings, cracked a ring and blew the head gasket among other things... from now on, he’s not even allowed to look at one of my cars lol.

Normally I wouldn’t. However, I used to practically live at the drag strip. I was famous locally for my turbocharged Dodge Caravan that ran low 12s. One time during test and tune a z28 spun out and clipped my rear bumper. I’ve also seen quite a few other more serious incidents—usually caused by someone in a RWD who can’t handle the power..

I've barely gotten into drag racing and have already seen a number of accidents. One fox body mustang t-boned another halfway down the track a few weekends back at the Alamo City Motorplex. A few runs later, a guy lost control and plowed into a wall. Several months back at Little River Dragway, I watched another guy pop a wheelie in his truck and climb onto the side rails. It could have been much worse if he'd of gone over the side and into bystanders. I wouldn't say "I wouldn't worry about it" but rather pick your battles carefully. I'm keen not to lineup with muscle cars that have obvious tremendous power, especially older one's where it's harder for them to control and I tend to watch the cars that showed up make a pass before going into the staging lanes. Of course every area of the country may be different but I think it's good to take some pre-caution when you can.

lol indeed it was. 1989 turbo Dodge Caravan. I still have the van, I’m planning to restore it. I loaned it to an idiot friend due to a family emergency and he destroyed the turbo bearings, cracked a ring and blew the head gasket among other things... from now on, he’s not even allowed to look at one of my cars lol.
Oh man, what a trip down memory lane.

Back when those sort of speeds were reserved for the cammed F-bodies and few others.

Nowaways when I see a stock 4 door luxury sedan hitting 11s, I think back when a minivan running 12s (or a Civic hatchback beating a viper) made it an instant internet legend!

Good luck with the van

• Love
Reactions: Zorak03
Awesome. Your car is my car's virtual twin. I hope I'm able to run a similar ET/trap in the spring here. What was your state of charge for the run and what was the temp outside?

My SOC was about 73%. I was hoping to Supercharge not long before the run but I didn't have time as the track closed at 4pm. Temps that day must have been in the 60s or 70s, not really sure though. I would like to make another run with a higher SOC and see if that makes an improvement.

Reactions: vogz
My SOC was about 73%. I was hoping to Supercharge not long before the run but I didn't have time as the track closed at 4pm. Temps that day must have been in the 60s or 70s, not really sure though. I would like to make another run with a higher SOC and see if that makes an improvement.

That's super impressive for only 75% SOC. From the dyno testing I've seen the car loses about 15hp from 100% to 75% SOC.