Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new member - need advice on lease or purchase a model Y

landarcht

Oct 23, 2021
USA
This will be my first EV and given the technological advances Tesla/EV industry is making, wanted to weigh in both options. I have leased once long time ago before and knows the general pro's and con's of leasing a car. But times are different now and I was thinking of leasing first then as the EV industry matures a bit in a few years then purchase a future model after first round of lease ends? Looking in to a model Y.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
...EV industry matures a bit in a few years then purchase a future model after first round of lease ends?...

Tesla is a high-tech item so if you want to keep up with the tech, you might need to switch to a new one every few years. Thus, since you are familiar with leasing, I think technologically, it's an ideal reason.

ATPMSD

Mar 12, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Do not lease unless:

1. You drive no more than 12,000 mile / year
2. You do not keep a car longer than 3-years
3. You keep up with all maintenance requirements (not very difficult on a Tesla)

BUT, Tesla does not offer a favorable lease, at least they did not last year. A lease will cost you $X / month for a 3-year lease while a loan will be only about $100 more for a 5-year loan. Having much lower payments is why most people lease. If you run the numbers you may well find that the loan balance after 3-years (perhaps 50%) might be less then the car’s value (maybe 60%). But definitely run the numbers for yourself.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC