Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New member posts with crazy issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@fasteddie7 are you seriously saying that you've never had a problem with a product and then went online to look for the answer? If you found it on a webpage, you might have read the page (or even left a comment) and never returned to the site. If you found it on a forum, you might have posted to ask about it, but didn't realize people have replied or have no interest in looking at the rest of the site/forum.

I've certainly done this for other products I've owned. There was one time where I posted a question and to my chagrin, didn't realize that people replied until months later. By the time I returned, I figured people have already moved on so I didn't bother resurfacing the thread with a response.

People on forums are either bored people or people with something to complain about. I don't fundamentally think there's anything wrong with either. And the people who complain might not be the ones you should be criticizing --- They might only be complaining because they cared/liked the product enough to post about it.

As for the short seller explanation, I honestly don't think trolling an enthusiast forum would have much of an effect on the stock price. They can get much better exposure through the media or the courts.
Maybe on a $40 toaster, but I don't see someone who purchased $125,000 vehicle that suddenly accelerated into a coffee shop not coming back for discussion, especially considering the posts are paragraphs long. It seems folks are missing the point of my question/discussion entirely and focusing on the wrong aspects of the conversation. Perhaps I did not articulate properly and it's on me. My original thought was if I / we all think that way (right or wrong) after seeing several similar posts where we all chime in to help and if it has an effect on your future postings when the same/similar post happens again. You see a "Tesla sucks" post followed by a well researched, jargon filled paragraph/story from a new member that just joined (the research and jargon always throw up flags for me but I get someone may do that) then a majority of members identify the poster as a FUDster, than some jokes are made and it's forgotten. Days later, you see another "Tesla sux" post with fundamentally the same structure and composition, I guess it's just me but I start to doubt validity at that point. As for this forum not being a benefit to short sellers, I don't agree. This is a popular place to go when looking to buy your first tesla (I did) and when the first 10 posts you see range from the vehicle fell apart to drove me into a coffee shop, that affects potential future customers.

Reactions: Joe F
This is a popular place to go when looking to buy your first tesla (I did) and when the first 10 posts you see range from the vehicle fell apart to drove me into a coffee shop, that affects potential future customers.
You're right that it affects potential customer opinion but I think it's a good thing.

When exploring any purchase in some depth (many purchases I research very little), especially expensive ones, I look at all the complaints first. When reading them (forum posts, articles, etc.), my gut reaction tells me a lot. Typically it's one of: (a) this product sounds fantastic (the "problems" of … are trivial), (b) this product is clearly bad quality or scam, or (c) needs more research.

If I read one of the threads you're talking about and conclude (b), then I probably stop researching and won't buy the product. It's good if people that have such a reaction don't buy a Tesla. Tesla has plenty of "likely to be a good relationship" customers available; no need to deal with the long trail of hassle dealing with a likely "problem child" customer.

Reactions: fasteddie7
The problem is you’re assuming a large percentage of these posts are “fake” without any real evidence to support that.

I work in medicine. We always assume the worst case scenario before ruling it out. It's just super suspicious when a new poster creates at least 3 separate threads complaining about their vehicle. Nevermind that TSLA is the most shorted stock out there, its hard for enthusiasts not to feel attacked anytime someone has an issue with Tesla.

GM recalled 700k trucks in 2017, and you dont see endless media coverage on that?
4.8 million chrysler/fiat vehicles recalled for defective cruise control, no endless media coverage on that either?

But a few Teslas have misaligned panels or random paint thickness, and all of the sudden its a doomed car company.

GM recalled 700k trucks in 2017, and you dont see endless media coverage on that?
4.8 million chrysler/fiat vehicles recalled for defective cruise control, no endless media coverage on that either?

But a few Teslas have misaligned panels or random paint thickness, and all of the sudden its a doomed car company.

Wait, where is the endless media coverage on panel gaps on Tesla? I don't see it. Financials and production rates sure... but "endless" coverage on panel gaps and paint?

I can't see any easy means of filtering out bogus postings. An earlier poster suggested minimum time periods for membership on the forum before posting is allowed (and one might couple that with number of visits and topics viewed, to indicate activity during the "silent" period). A likely unfeasible approach would be to have two categories of membership: one for validated owners, and another for all others. Validating ownership would be a messy and time-consuming process with privacy and documentation issues.

Reactions: fasteddie7
Lol. I've got 30 more years until I can retire, but if I give up 50% of the time I waste sleeping, I might have the time to work on it.

Just because you "feel" a post is a fake does not mean that it is. Rather than just complaining, disparaging, or being negative, I just suggest that when you feel that a post is a fake, you simply go to a new thread and start reading there. Another option is to just shut up about it. On this forum there are a few who like to put down, demean and make fun of other posters/owners. They are readily identifiable and I recommend you not get lumped in with them. When you feel you must complain about another human being, if you really want to complain, look into a mirror. The guy you see is where real change comes from

Just because you "feel" a post is a fake does not mean that it is. Rather than just complaining, disparaging, or being negative, I just suggest that when you feel that a post is a fake, you simply go to a new thread and start reading there. Another option is to just shut up about it. On this forum there are a few who like to put down, demean and make fun of other posters/owners. They are readily identifiable and I recommend you not get lumped in with them. When you feel you must complain about another human being, if you really want to complain, look into a mirror. The guy you see is where real change comes from
Yeah I don't agree with that at all.... I'll just say you're entitled to your opinion on that one and leave it at that.