Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Member - Probably going to purchase Model S soon.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

My Test Drive is in a week.
I'm Attracted to the Model S cause I'm into tech and intrigued by the Autonomous deal.
Plus I think the car is quite nice looking.
Probably gonna buy or lease New.
Actually buying to replace a 426 HP 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS that I use mainly as a Winter Car.
(I know... but it has a 2nd set of rims with snow tires. Gonna do the same tore the S)
I figured Nov-March = Winter and that's almost half the year, so time for an upgrade.
My Spring/Summer and part of Fall split time between my Corvettes & a Ferrari.
Working with Electric Motors & Drives my whole life I understand the Torque deal, but I for one am not buying for Carbon Footprint, saving the Ozone or saving gas. I'm buying cause it's a high tech gadget car. Acceleration will probably be sweet, but my 430 I would still wager is gonna be more fun on a twisting road.
I'm still gonna enjoy my Loud Exhaust on all my other cars. In fact I've changed a good number of exhausts to get more exhaust pur, it's part of the experience. My old Vettes are Stick shift and Full of torque and quite honestly have stuff breaking from time to time but heck they're 49 & 53 years old. But that's one type of experience.

I'm a techie and a car guy.
and probably a future Model S owner with a twisted view on Electric vs ICE

Anyways... getting long winded, thanks for listening. I'm sure I'll be firing out a good number of questions on my way to a June Delivery and probably post delivery.

Thanks,
Scott

Hello all,

I'm Attracted to the Model S cause I'm into tech and intrigued by the Autonomous deal.
Actually buying to replace a 426 HP 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS that I use mainly as a Winter Car.
(I know... but it has a 2nd set of rims with snow tires. Gonna do the same tore the S)
I figured Nov-March = Winter and that's almost half the year, so time for an upgrade.
Working with Electric Motors & Drives my whole life I understand the Torque deal, but I for one am not buying for Carbon Footprint, saving the Ozone or saving gas. I'm buying cause it's a high tech gadget car. Acceleration will probably be sweet, but my 430 I would still wager is gonna be more fun on a twisting road.
I'm still gonna enjoy my Loud Exhaust on all my other cars. In fact I've changed a good number of exhausts to get more exhaust pur, it's part of the experience. My old Vettes are Stick shift and Full of torque and quite honestly have stuff breaking from time to time but heck they're 49 & 53 years old. But that's one type of experience.

Anyways... getting long winded, thanks for listening. I'm sure I'll be firing out a good number of questions on my way to a June Delivery and probably post delivery.

Thanks,
Scott

Is this Bob Lutz? I just got goosebumps from all the testosterone. Or maybe that's the new pellets.

• Funny
Reactions: LoL Rick and R.S
Welcome to the Forum Scott @krugmeister
It the right place to get your questions answered. You'll find a lot of early adopters, fan boys (and gals) as well as people with negative opinions or experiences with Tesla. My advice is that if you are going for a test drive, be prepared to buy it. You will fall in love with the car. I have been driving since the age of 12 and have driven my fair share of vintage and classic cars, muscle cars, as well as powerful and luxury machines from manufactures like Lamborghini, Ferrari, BMW, Audi, and Mercedes to name a few. The Tesla is by far the best car I have ever owned or driven. I have owned my Model X for 2 months and have already put 6800 miles on the odometer. I don't have any problem making a run to the grocery store to buy that one item, my wife wants, or just cruising around coz WHY NOT!!
While I have had a couple of minor items that needed to be rectified on my vehicle, I can say with full confidence that Tesla is a company committed to taking care of its customers. While you are looking at the S, ask any questions of me with regards to ownership experience and I'll be happy to give you my input. If they are vehicle specific, I can try and help you or connect you with someone I know has lots of experience and can answer them for you. Also if you are in need of a referral code, I'll be honored to share mine with you.
Look forward to seeing you on the forum.
Cheers.
Shyam

Hello all,

Thanks,
Scott

Is this you? :p

be prepared to buy it.
...I can try and help you or connect you with someone I know has lots of experience and can answer them for you. Also if you are in need of a referral code, I'll be honored to share mine with you.
Look forward to seeing you on the forum.
Cheers.
Shyam

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I want one just from research, pics, etc already. But best be thorough... a week's not gonna kill me with a June Delivery...
The code you're speaking of is that the one for Supercharger access?

Thanks,
Scott

I thought Tesla test drive is banned MI?

It's not real just yet. 2017 Autonomous cross country drive demo is delayed and hopefully will happen this year.

I have 1 scheduled in Troy, MI so I guess not banned.?.? Maybe I should keep it on the down low... LOL
I knew about the current level of Autonomy, kinda interested in experiencing it as it evolves as well.

What happens if you run out of "gas"?

In some states, AAA has J1772 charger (your Tesla comes with that adapter) with their service trucks. I don't know how well that works.

For Tesla, owners usually get a flat-bed tow to a charging station.

The manual clearly says that owners are responsible for the tow fees if you deplete your battery. However, since 2012 for quite a few years, for early adopters, Tesla did not implement that policy.

For good weather, if I need to travel 200 miles, I would make sure my car is charged to rated 250 miles minimally. You need more buffer in cold weather may be 300 miles or more before driving off.

I would advise to get the most range you can afford. It's never enough range until you can match with a gasoline car's range.

Last edited:
I would advise to get the most range you can afford. It's never enough range until you can match with a gasoline car's range.

Well you probably won't find this very surprising give all I've shared this far, but my Camaro gets 250 maybe per tank, especially since I bought a tuner just to shut off 4 cylinder mode cause I couldn't stand the sound when it switched to it, so based on my normal 16 mile round trip commute I'm thinking the 75D is all I need. Family trip would probably be in the wife's XT5.
In summer we take trips with the Ferrari group I'm part of and that baby gets a whopping 12mpg :)

Welcome @Kruegmeister !

250 miles of range is about what my 75D gets (I think 100% charge for me is 255) so might be very similar and with a 16 mile round trip commute, should probably be more than enough. But warning: once you get a Tesla, you may find it hard not to drive it. And you may find yourself wanting to take family road trips in it too. Having that serene quietness, no odors or fumes + AutoPilot (even though it is not full self -driving and you have to stay alert...it can still make hours fly by and leave you very rested and relaxed at the end of your trip)...you may find your family driving it on road trips too!

...16 mile round trip commute...

I agree with @CameronB.

Although range is not a problem for a short commute but since you like technology and acceleration, you might like it so much and take it for a road trip.

Before I bought my first Model S in 2012, I also thought like you that I didn't need much range beyond 40 kWh (125 rated miles) for 20 mile round-trip commute and there's no way I would take it for a road trip.

Luckily, I bought the 85 kWh (265 rated miles) and I suddenly drove much more and much further than I did with my piror gasoline cars! And I sold my gasoline car right away and I did everything with the Tesla: from work, fun, to lumber/gardening loads, road trips...

Scott

Traded my 2016 Z06 for my P100D S. Your 430 is going to feel like a slug. No way the 430 can stay with a P car on almost any road unless you are both stuck in traffic

It's important to note that the larger battery packs also give you much greater power to the motors. If you add the P designator, performance, it makes a huge difference. I own a straight 85 S and I have a P90D S with insane mode right now and the difference is astonishing. If you get one with ludicrous mode, well, there's nothing quiker!

Oh, if you get a referral code you might as well get one from someone who has never had theirs used. Then you get 500 off the price as well.

@Kruegmeister
Welcome. Can hardly compare my experience to yours, but looking forward to read more about yours, from your test drive up to hopefully your experience as owner.
It’s also good to see car enthusiast that are interested primarily for the car as a car, and not for the sustainability challenge.

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you've had a lot of experience with both ICE and EV. You also seem to make your decision based on a good cause. I wish more people like you were able to think clearly and see that this is the future of transportation and EVs with instant torque at your disposal can be fun to drive as well.

I would not be too concerned about the range anxiety. With the supercharger network ever-expanding (and other companies catching up as well with L2 and L3 chargers) it will only be easier to get from A to B on a longer stretches. I have the "base" S75 and am happy with it. There are only few places today where I would struggle to get to my destination on a single charge (ironically, some of them are within the very state I live in), but I am sure this will be fixed in the near future.

Go for what fits you or you can afford, you won't regret anyway.

Hello all,

Hi Scott,
The Model S is a great winter car! It's my early February daily driver and it is so good that I often use it the whole February!

I was attracted to Tesla for the same reasons as you. It being electric was actually one of the least favorite things and one of the reasons I didn't look at them for years. I finally just decided to test drive one while I was waiting on the 2018 M5's to ship. Ended up buying a P100D the same day as my test drive. Acceleration was unmatched but really autopilot is unmatched as well which was one of the biggest issues for me because it is my daily driver and I hate traffic.