Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New member questions - help appreciated :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife has Model 3 P- for 13 months. Very tossable and staggering acceleration. She loves it. 9,300 miles.

I share 2017 S 100D with daughter’s family. Two years, over 33,000 miles. That’s the cruiser. Smooth ride, in control and more than sufficient acceleration. Plus huge trunk capacity, even more with rear seats folded.

S gets better range than 3P- above 72 mph. Air suspension lowers car at about 55 mph, cuts drag. Also, I suspect S front motor gearing supports efficiency at higher speed.

Both cars ended up with free unlimited Supercharging as long as we own them. Nice, but not a deal-breaker. Model S range is so good we can do round-trip from Philadelphia to New York City or DC without SuperCharger stop.

Whenever you buy a Tesla, it will be superseded by at least one technology update within 12 months. Our S has MCU 1 (Media Control Unit) - big screen, web browser, Nav, media... AP 2.0 (AutoPilot). Still get most features from software updates. Each time I get in and drive, I’m grateful we could afford it. Purchased Full Self Drive (FSD) upgrade, so AP will eventually be upgraded to 3. Personal opinion is AP 3.1 - next Tesla chip generation - will be the FSD enabler.

Please remember two contradictory guidelines.
  1. Buy the biggest battery you can and the capabilities that serve your intended uses.
  2. Buy within your budget. Be sure that, when you drive the car home - you own IT. Life can be hell if your car or home owns YOU.

• Informative
Reactions: poolmeds
great reply thanks!!!

i think i need to let the emotional purchase urges to subside.
i left the test drive thinking 'i WANT an suv for space, i WANT the fastest, i WANT etc etc'

the S seems the best overall idea. is the X known for mechanical issues? im sure the 2017 one had the gull doors open less than the new one?

i just dont think the model 3 has enough room for a family for four with the children young so lots of baggage

thanks all!""
I have a M3. My 5 year old twins love it. They want to stick a rosette on our ‘supercar’ which I’ve told them it wouldn’t like that!!! We no longer need a buggy so no hatch isn’t an issue from that regard. We have yet to do a holiday trip testing the capacity but will do in a few weeks. I’m cautiously optimistic that we’ll have enough space.

Reactions: poolmeds